Backfiring HELP - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Backfiring HELP

I have a 2002 shadow sabre 1100.I had the stock mufflers modded internally with one single baffle tube for a better sound.
Now,I have a serious backfiring problem when backing off the throttle.
Blocking off the balancing pipe between the mufflers has not made any difference, neither did blocking off the cold air valve (tube from air filter box)
The carb main jets have been changed 1 size bigger.Anyone got any suggestions?
(I really want to keep the stock mufflers they have a great old school look)
Cliffy
cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

Try plugging the PAIR control system and see if it still backfires after that.

If it doesn't, you may be running too rich.
GilaMinumBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Deceleration backfire

My 05 vt1100c2 backfires on deceleration, usually when I have been on the throttle hard, and back it off fast, like when I have to go around someone quick and immediately back down. Around the 60-mph DOWNWARD decel, it will do a quick backfire and be done with it.

I took it to my local Honda guys who said that it wouldn't hurt the bike since it was occasional and not constant. Told me to quit riding it like I stole it. . .

Love those guys.

I'll track this thread to see what you report. Good luck.

Oh, what is all this "plugging" stuff that you are talking about? Are you restricting intake? I'll do a search to see what this is all about.

I agree with you on the stock pipes. I sold the god-awful LOUD pipes that were on this bike and went back to stock. Didn't mess with the baffles or the jets.
Espiritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espiritus View Post
Oh, what is all this "plugging" stuff that you are talking about? Are you restricting intake? I'll do a search to see what this is all about.
I, think, what the OP is trying to emulate is;

-by partially blocking the exhaust he is creating additional restriction for back pressure.

-not following what the OP means by blocking teh cold air valve. On my machine the tube that connects to the air box is a crankcase breather. However, partially blocking intake at the carb/airbox can offer an indication of fuel mixture. Too lean and the bike dies, too rich and covering the carb completely doesn't do much but make it stuutter some.

-as for my suggestion on the PAIR control system. The PAIR system redirects unburnt vapors back into the system so that it can be burned completly and reduce the appearance of emissions by recycling some of the exhaust so to speak. This system is often the cause of decel popping from vapors igniting inside hot exhaust but can also add to a too rich condition by dumping more stuff to burn into that hot exhaust. When tuning, you have to defeat the PAIR system to isolate the effects of carburator adjustments and eliminate added vapor to get a accurate indication of what air/fuel mixture the carb/EFI is delivering.

I like loud pipes when loud isn't disrespectful to privacy. The stock pipes made me feel like I was riding a Singer sewing machine.
GilaMinumBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement