Ice falling from Semi - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ice falling from Semi

I moved up from a scooter to a motorcycle this weekend which now allows me access to interstate riding. As there seem to be more and more new folks joining each day, I wanted to share my experience as a reminder of hazzards.

Here in KC the roads are clear but it was about 40 degrees when I was riding earlier today. A semi merged onto the interstate next to me. Within in a few seconds of it getting up to speed, I noticed what first seemed to be bits of spray mist coming from the top of the long trailer. Those bits quickly grew into larger pieces of ice hitting the ground and spraying across the road.

I moved two lanes over just before a really large piece of ice lifted from the truck and hit the lane separating us. Just a heads up, even if your roads are dry, we don't know where the semis have traveled or if they just had water and ice build up over while sitting overnight. Be forewarned.
Bugler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

You got Lucky.A face full of Ice would suck at any speed
Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the warning ... that's probably not something I would have thought of!!
wowsley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice. New guy bringing up some awesome pointers! Good job new guy!

Check this thread for where the book is now - it's traveling! Make sure you get your shot at it!! And check the Google Map here!
The Trip map is here
HSN Member Map
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

No doubt. We don't have that problem here in Southern Cali, but I have been hit with a stray headlight that the tire on the car in front of me popped into the air. Not pleasant at all.

On a side note, that is an awesome photo!
Poundingsand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.