Battery question(s) - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Battery question(s)

Hi all

When I purchased my Shadow a month or so ago it had been sitting for a while and I was informed it would need a new battery come spring. Well, time for the new battery came sooner than expected and I had to replace it the day before Thanksgiving. When I attempted to pull the battery out... I couldn't! I was afraid I had missed something and didn't want to tear something up, but several calls to auto parts places and even a couple bike repair shops assured me 'it should just lift out'. Well, after a couple hours spent laying in the garage floor trying to beat it out with a hammer & various tools, I finally sprayed WD40 all the way around it, took a few minutes to let my temper cool the WD40 hopefully soak through whatever had it stuck, and went back at it. I finally managed to wedge a screwdriver underneath it through the hole in the battery compartment, and pop it loose.

First question: What in the heck would have caused it to stick like that?!

Second question: Since I love in Ohio and won't be riding (probably at all) the next couple months, how often do I need to start it and let it run to avoid having to purchase another new battery come spring?

Thanks!
Tracy
PrebleRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

Probably acid spill from battery overflow or tipping. Check for corrosion on casing and and sand/repaint. May have even been improper venting so acid/vapour could cause the corrosion. Try an AGM battery (they don't vent). If you go regular battery make sure vent tube is chaneeled to the bottom of the frame.

G.
gdb069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

so what part of Ohio ,,Tracy ?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizmm View Post
so what part of Ohio ,,Tracy ?

West central... almost in Indiana.
PrebleRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrebleRebel View Post
...Second question: Since I love in Ohio and won't be riding (probably at all) the next couple months, how often do I need to start it and let it run to avoid having to purchase another new battery come spring?...
Don't start it. Buy a "smart" charger also known as Float charger NOT trickle charger but similar (it shuts off whereas a trickle charger does not)
Connect the charger and leave it all winter, It will help you battery life so you will be all set to go in the spring and its one of those things you will find useful all your life,

G,
gdb069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement