Honda Shadow Forums banner

My bike has no baffles, good or bad?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  02honda 
#1 ·
When I bought it the pipes were already blown out, no baffles at all. I heard that this is bad for the motor. Should I add a after market baffle to it? And if I do, do I need to rejet it? How can I tell if it needs to be rejetted?
Sorry for so many questions in one post.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
My bike had stock pipes with the resonators hollowed out. My bike ran fine. Are you running stock pipes on your bike as well? I'm running cobra pipes now and about to rip the baffle out tomorrow. They are performance mod and wear happens faster the harder something is pushed.
As for re-jetting the carb, I've never done it but, the guy that owned the bike before me said that with the bored exhaust and the larger air intake, the air was being sucked straight through too fast for the cylinders to fire. So he re-jetted the carb to dump more fuel in the cylinder.
So all that being said; are you having misfires? I'm sure there are other things I'm missing, this will give you a good start.
Also are you noticing your bike kind of stutters when accelerating? My bike did this I thought it was due to the mods. Nope, all I needed to do was adjust the idle adjustment screw. It's the screw right below the choke on my bike.
Clockwise = higher RPMs at idle and counter clockwise = lower RPMs at idle. Idk what my RPMs are at when the bike idles I just kept messing with it until it sounded smooth when idling and accelerated smoothly.

#4 ·
When I bought it the pipes were already blown out, no baffles at all. I heard that this is bad for the motor. Should I add a after market baffle to it? And if I do, do I need to rejet it? How can I tell if it needs to be rejetted?
Sorry for so many questions in one post.

Don't know if it's bad for the motor... it's definitely bad for your hearing! My new [2006] Suzuki Boulevard M50 was de-baffled when I bought it. I couldn't hear myself think, even though it sounded really cool. I bought stock pipes to put back on it... much nicer ride!

#5 ·
If it pops on deceleration. Needs more fuel running lean,look at plugs if black running rich,but if tan or white running lean,so needs to be jetted. But usually taking out the baffle doesn't affect the carbs that much that you would notice.I have cobra pipes with baffle in them. Thay are loud enough for me. Each to their own. Good luck..we are here to help when you need us

#8 ·
Oh, I forgot, let the bike warm up first before messing with that screw. Also if your bike is dual-carbed I THINK the screw is in between the two underneath the gas tank. That requires a synchronization and I'm not 100% sure how to do that. I'll bet there is a thread up here on it, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.