Honda Shadow Forums banner

Looking for some simple cheap mods for MPG

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  pricedo 
#1 ·
Looking for ideas for some simple cheap (and I say that loosely) modifications for my 07 Spirit 750cc for MPG and performance

Currently, I am looking at the Hypercharger made by Kuryakyn or a K&N intake with the cobra streetrod slashdown exhaust.

Any comments on these combinations? Any other thoughts or ideas that I should consider looking into?

All comments are welcome!

#2 ·
Chances are, the mods you suggest would lower your engines performance not increase it. Exhaust mods without jetting changes generally lose torque/horse power somewhere in the power band.

You want the best mpg your sled is capable of, keep it tuned well, keep the tire air pressure up to spec, and go easy on the right wrist twist. That will do more for your mileage than anything else.

#4 ·
Exhaust mods without jetting changes generally lose torque/horse power somewhere in the power band.
QUOTE]

Can you go into a little more in depth about this?

So if I was to adjust the jets after an exhaust mod, it would keep torque/horse power?

I'm not familiar with bike engines but with car/trucks so I don't understand why an "air-intake" (that's what I'm assuming what a hypercharge is in essence) and exhaust would not help with performance unless its because these bikes do not have ECU's of some sort and a strictly carbureted system.

As for throttle control and acceleration, I already keep that to what a normal would be and achieve 43.87MPG on my tank (160-165mi per 3.7gal tank)

Again, all comments welcome. Just want to learn about my bike. :smile:

#5 ·
Man there must be quite a difference between older 750's and newer 750's. I regularly get 55 mpg on my '99 750 ACE. I once got 68 mpg when doing a steady 55 mph on the Natchez Trace. Just a rough calculation will show you that if you gain 10% increase in mpg with your mods, which you won't, you will save approximately $8 in 1,000 miles of biking. Seems hardly worth it....I read lots of posts about troubles with mods on here and little about how mods improved anything unless you consider loud pipes an improvement.

#6 ·
My typical speed on the bike is between 60mph and 75mph due to toll road driving. I drive 50mi a day for work plus any small things that need to be done, so within three weeks of driving I will have driven that 1,000mi.

I understand what you are saying and I agree, $8 is not much worth the mods so I guess now I'll be wanting to do it just for the crisper and louder sound with an added 8.

Here is the link to what I am looking at:
Member Reviews for Kuryakyn Hypercharger Kit (Chrome)- Honda VT750 Shadow Aero/ Spirit C2 w/Shaft Drive | Action: reviews | For Model: 116

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong but from what you guys are telling me and from what I am reading, sounds like polar opposites.

Am I just taking with both sides are saying too serious?

P.S I am also thinking of adding the this jetkit into the mix as well:
Member Reviews for Dynojet Research Jet Kit - 750 Spirit C2 | Action: reviews

#7 ·
I don't know the source of what you are reading but what you read in this forum is from personal experience for the most part. Your original post asked about "cheap" mods to improve mpg and performance. I don't see these mods as cheap nor worth saving at best $5-$10 every three weeks....assuming they do even that.

#26 ·
Essentially a shiny gimmick.

I don't know the source of what you are reading but what you read in this forum is from personal experience for the most part. Your original post asked about "cheap" mods to improve mpg and performance. I don't see these mods as cheap nor worth saving at best $5-$10 every three weeks....assuming they do even that.
Cheap nuthin !!
The Kuryakyn Hypercharger costs just south of $300 and if you're not tool wise a bike shop is going to charge you that much again for installation.
I see a fair number of these around so quite a few are biting the shiny Hypercharger "hook" expecting dramatic increases in performance without doing their homework.
Kuryakyn and the bike mechanics charging $200+ to install these things must be laughing all the way to the bank.
The effects of the device are strictly cosmetic and financial (lighter wallet) but if you are turned on by the looks and "throaty" sound of it then by all means get one.
A shiny gimmick like so many others these days to separate newbies and their money.

#8 ·
IMHO, the $270 for the Hypercharger would be better off spent on New Plugs (Iridium), Air filter, and getting it tuned (eg, jetting, valve clearance, etc) correctly.
Plus I probably would do the 4° mod (cost nothing but a bit of time) wouldn't hurt, but do it before getting it tuned.

Doing this should give you a small performance increase and that will allow you to use less throttle to get to your cruising speed, and theoretically should give better MPG.

#9 ·
Thanks for the comments and the insight.

DoubleDog,
My source of info for the improved HP/Torque is coming from the reviews on the products found on the links I provided. What they say, and what some are saying here are completely different. That's what I am confused about. I'm not saying either side is right, just trying to pick everyone’s brain and figure out the best solution.

SoxOZ, is there something I can do (like a test of some sort) to figure out if the bike has already been tuned such as the valves being adjusted and what-not? I know I can always look at the plugs and wires and switch them out if they need to be but wasn’t sure if there is something to test to see if in guts have been tuned.

Also, what is this 4 degree mod you are referring too?

Thanks again for the responses

#10 ·
SoxOZ, is there something I can do (like a test of some sort) to figure out if the bike has already been tuned such as the valves being adjusted and what-not? I know I can always look at the plugs and wires and switch them out if they need to be but wasn’t sure if there is something to test to see if in guts have been tuned.
I'd just still go ahead and check the valve clearance, and get the A/F ratio checked (jetting) and a set of plugs and wires won't hurt either..!!!.

Also, what is this 4 degree mod you are referring too?
Just do a goggle search and you'll find heaps of info, but this is a link to it being done here by one of the members on Honda Shadow Forum...

Link to Instructions on how to do it...

#12 ·
Performance mods usually dont give you better MPG... not sure where you got that idea. However, with a stage 1 jet kit and open slip ons i can get anywhere from 30-60 mpg depending on how i ride. If i do a lot of highway riding, im hitting reserve between 75-80 miles, on a nice cruising ride under 60mph, i can get almost 120 miles before reserve.

#13 ·
Wow you said cheap mods and jumped right to the hypercharger for that price you could do a bunch of REAL cheap mods that would more benefit what your trying to achieve,because if your trying to save gas that is the wrong direction.You wanting a hypercharger tell me you more than likely have a lead foot(and i saying there`s anything wrong w/that god know`s i do to)but if ya wanna save some gas try slowin` down. :)

#14 ·
Furball Zen: In a previous post I stated I didn't know anything about bike mechanics but a good deal in auto mechanics. In the auto world...most...performance parts give better MPG; CAI, exhaust, chips, injectors, etc...So I was applying that same concept to bikes. It just made sense..

Bulldog75: Not a speed demand at all. Again, as mentioned in a pervious post, avg speed is between 60-75mph since all my driving is on toll roads.

After looking on most websites motorcycle parts seem to be overly expensive for even some simple parts. I mean, I've found side view mirrors for over $200 so I've came to the realization that if something so simple as mirrors can be over $200 then hell, anything that could be worth something would be more expensive, lol.

In any case, I have decided to just go with the DynoTech Jet-kit stage 1&2 and a K&N airfilter. I can't seem to read anywhere where an exhaust really does anything but give you louder pipes which is fine, loud is good, but I've been looking at SoxOZ's hole saw modification along with other youtuber's videos.

Jetkit and airfilter will be in this Friday, I'll post back with results.

Also will look into new plugs and wires for the bike. Going to go into research mode and find some good ones for this bike.

#16 ·
Furball Zen: In a previous post I stated I didn't know anything about bike mechanics but a good deal in auto mechanics. In the auto world...most...performance parts give better MPG; CAI, exhaust, chips, injectors, etc...So I was applying that same concept to bikes. It just made sense..
Sadly it doesnt work that way. Youre trying to take a detuned motor with lots of potential and make it more fuel efficient in a car. On a bike youre taking an under-powered motor with minimal potential and making it more powerful. But on my bike the jets and pipes arent what took the most MPG away, it was letting the bike run richer. Hondas run really lean from the factory, which is why you can get insane MPG from them stock. But also, notice that your rad fan comes on a LOT in the heat. Ever since i backed my mixture screws out, the fan has never come on no matter how hot it gets.

#15 ·
I paid $80 for my mirrors for name brand and you know the name isn`t even on the mirrors found the exact mirrors on ebay for $17 just no name brand you would never know the difference(i was pretty ticked)just saying i`ve done alot of crap to my bike making it mine like everyone else just saying if you want something that cost 200 search you got the whole world at your fingertips and find great deals.

#17 ·
So Jetkit stage two (134 jet) is installed along with the K&N filter with the snorkel removed.

Did some test driving on an abandoned glider strip and was able to feel the HP gain out of the bike.

On all gears I was able to pull a minimum of 15MPH more from the gear. 3rd gear was able to make it to 55/60MPH. At 80-90MPH in 5th the bike was screaming for help.

Example: On 4th gear I was able to hear the bike start to wind out at 45/50MPH, now I can make it push to 70MPH.
Now all is riding smooth. at 70mph in 5th the bike purrs without sounding stressed at all. I'll report back my MPG after around Wednesday when the tank should be empty.

#18 ·
So Jetkit stage two (134 jet) is installed along with the K&N filter with the snorkel removed.

Did some test driving on an abandoned glider strip and was able to feel the HP gain out of the bike.

On all gears I was able to pull a minimum of 15MPH more from the gear. 3rd gear was able to make it to 55/60MPH. At 80-90MPH in 5th the bike was screaming for help.
I got more then the 15mph from my sprocket change,,hitting 55mph in 2nd and 70+ in 3rd gear. This on my vlx.

Example: On 4th gear I was able to hear the bike start to wind out at 45/50MPH, now I can make it push to 70MPH.
Now all is riding smooth. at 70mph in 5th the bike purrs without sounding stressed at all. I'll report back my MPG after around Wednesday when the tank should be empty.
I don't believe you'll see any appreciable gain in mpg from what you've done.

#24 ·
Setting aside any discussion on other threads, the best mileage increase you can achieve is riding 50-55 mph. Just for the heck of it, on a day that you have an extra 24 minutes to ride a steady 55 for 150 miles you will see what wind resistance and rpm really do to MPG. This isn't lip service. Seriously try it. Just once - It is very boring but does not cost a penny in upgrades and is always there when you want it - or need it- like stretching gas stops on your summer 5000 mile road trip.

When I had my 1100 I got more than 10 extra MPG my slowing to 55 from 65-70.

Ihavethespirt

#25 ·
FurballZen:
The directions from the DynoTech Jet Kit tell you to adjust the screw. So thats where the mixture screw comes into play. If you like, I'll send you a pic of the instructions.

ihavethespirit: I'll check into that. It is kinda hard to do that because where I drive going 50-55mph is a very unsafe speed since the posted limit signs are 55-65mph and no car goes below 70mhp. I'd become a road hazard at that point, lol. But I will take your advice to heart and when I get a chance to do so, I'll post the resaults.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.