Honda Shadow Forums banner

Tips for a biker n00b

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  jack6251 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first bike soon and am definitely one of those types who will research the crap out something of any significance before diving in. So I feel like a have a pretty good idea via my research but of course experienced opinions are invaluable.

First off, I'm not particularly mechanically-inclined so buying a fixer-upper might not be the best idea, but it would also be the perfect opportunity to learn the ins-and-outs of my bike even before I learn to ride it (not to mention picking up some new skills in the process.) It would also be cheaper I imagine, assuming parts would be available (but I'm learning that this isn't always the case!)

So yeah - I know I need to go sit on a bunch of bikes to see how they feel (and first rounds of research have brought me to the Shadow and thus this forum - it's the bike to beat at this point.)

So...thoughts?

#2 ·
Yeah the shadow is great for a 1st bike and longer term. I worked my way up from the smallest. I could probably handle an 1100 very well after 7 years of riding but since I'm mostly in town commuting the 750 is just right for now.
Low maintenance too.

I like to save $ and not buy thru a dealer, but you have to make sure the bike you buy hasn't sat around which will require carb cleaning and maybe some nuances with other parts.

Are you taking the class?

#5 ·
I have to ask, but can you guys in the States jump on any sized bike without taking tests etc as long as you have your car license? It's just I see a lot of posts talking about first bikes with big engines, and over here and other country's you have to build up to those sizes but it once was like that here about 15 years ago I think.

How's it work? (sorry for going off topic).

#6 ·
It likely varies by state. In North Carolina when I first began riding in 1969, we needed only a car license. Later they added a motorcycle endorsement requirement with a written and a riding test. I had to take the written exam, but I grandfathered out of the riding test.

Now you must pass the written test and either (1) pass the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider's Course (BRC) or (2) pass the riding exam at the local Dept. of Motor Vehicles office.

#9 ·
When buying my first bike, one of my friends gave me the best advice I could possibly get:

Don't spend more than you're willing to light on fire, because there is a real possibility that you are going to destroy your first bike and get absolutely nothing in return. So, if you're comfortable selling your car and buying a $20,000 Road King, then immediately setting fire to it, then do it. If that sounds like something you don't want to do, then maybe you should look at something less.

The Honda Shadow is a great lineup. Budget at least $2000 & $3500 will get you anything you will want.

At $2000, you can get a very good VLX with some minor cosmetic or very-minor mechanical problems. With very little help, you can get the basics down without major finanical risk.

At $3500, you can get a very nice 1100 with low miles and a great mechanical history.

What is your budget?

#12 ·
Some sage advice from your friend :) I definitely know that my first bike will, despite my best efforts, end up a little worse for the wear, so I'm looking more for something that'll be a good learner and reliable rather than a head-turner to start with. My budget is limited (thanks student loans) but $2000-$2500 would be very doable.

Just pick one you can love while you're with her. ;)
Honda reliability is definitely a big selling point for me, so that's reassuring. I'm sure I'll be able to find something to love about any bike I end up with. I'm a sap and sentimental to a fault, so regardless of what my first bike ends up being, I'll be fond of it forever!

A one-liter bike seems like it would be a bad idea for someone with no experience like myself... you're a braver man than I! Luckily I'm seeing VT600s and VT750s in my area in my price range so I'm hoping there will be some good options when I'm ready to buy.

#10 ·
Here you can buy and not test ride without an M endorsement, but to ride you need to pass the written test at least then you can 1) use a permit to learn as long as you are with an experienced rider (nearby riding with you) and 2) either take the safety course and pass or 3) take the riding course at the DMV.

No size limits here like they have in Australia where you have to be on a 250cc bike or less for your 1st year, at least thats what I heard dfrom a friend over there.

#11 ·
First off, I'm not particularly mechanically-inclined so buying a fixer-upper might not be the best idea, but it would also be the perfect opportunity to learn the ins-and-outs of my bike even before I learn to ride it (not to mention picking up some new skills in the process.) It would also be cheaper I imagine, assuming parts would be available (but I'm learning that this isn't always the case!)

So...thoughts?
So, like you, I'm a newer rider and, like you, I'm still kind of learning the ins and outs of working on bikes. I took the MSF rider course and rode a coworker's V-star 250 for a while before buying my first bike, a 1988 VT1100C Shadow Spirit.

I chose this bike partially because it fit nicely in my budget at 2k. I originally was hoping for a shadow 750 to start with, but in my area, those are going for at least $3,500. Other bikes I considered were similar in size because I wanted a short seat height for my smaller frame, so I also looked at Yamaha V-stars and Harley Sportsters. Ultimately, I leaned toward Shadows for a few reasons, the foremost among them was reliability and longevity of Honda engines as well as the length of time Honda has been making the Shadow.

I've known people who rode v-stars and loved them, but I've also known people who had a lot of minor, but annoying mechanical issues with them. It was important for me to "hit the easy button" when it comes to maintenance since I am still learning how to do it myself. You really can't get much easier than changing the oil on a Shadow. The engines just really are well designed. I also didn't want to be broken down along the rode in the middle of nowhere. While that certainly could happen on any bike, Hondas are notoriously reliable if they are maintained properly.

Ultimately, I chose my bike because, in the midst of having a hard time finding a good Shadow 600 or 750 in my price range, this bike came up under what I was willing to pay, freeing me up money to make modifications and do some maintenance an older bike might need. It is important to keep in mind, though, that parts can be expensive and, if you're bike is A LOT older, might even be harder to get. I find there are a lot fewer after market accessories and stuff for a bike the age of mine, unless you're handy enough to modify things that are made for newer Shadow models.

I agree on finding something that fits easily in your budget, to the point that you are not going to be completely crushed if you get a scratch on it or even dump it. You probably dated a few people before you settled down. They were nice and you learned a lot from them, but they weren't the perfect fit for you and you didn't settle down with the first person you fell in love with. (Or at least most people don't.) I see starter bikes the same way. Sure, some people do fall in love with their first bike and ride it for decades, but most of us learn on one bike and eventually save up for another...and that's ok.

Just pick one you can love while you're with her. ;)

#13 ·
Hi - another long term biker here and I'll add my $0.02 worth - absolutely yes, take the course. I prefer open face as well but have gone to full cover; a june bug in the forehead at 70mph is an experience you can do without, trust me. If going open face, wear eye protection at least.
Welcome to the two wheeled world, enjoy!

#14 ·
Here in KY you can get a learners permit by passing a eye exam, and a written test with 30 questions.

The leaners permit was good for 2 years. Until May 2012 all you had to do was renew the leaners permit for another 2 years and never taking a rider skills test.

I know several riders that road on a leaners permit for over 20 years.

Now you can renew your leaners permit for only 1 year. Then you have to take the riders skills test.

Now you can always take the MSF course and pass it, then all you have to do I take you certificate to the DMV and a regular driver license with a motorcycle endorsement will be issued.

#16 ·
Alright, now it's my turn to give out my opinion!
Like yourself, I'm brand new to the ridding world. I got my license by doing to MSF course about 2 months ago and just got my 2004 Shadow Sabre 1100 2 weeks ago.

My first thought when buying a bike was Value...Like everyone, I wanted the best bang for my buck! and my budget was 3000$ Because like someone else already said, I'm expecting to drop my bike or damage it somehow since this is my first and losing 3k over 10k won't feel as dramatic! I eventually want to get a Honda Fury because that's the bike that got me into this scene.

So, next point was to figure out what bike I wanted. Although I'm biased to Honda since I'm a honda man (All my vehicles are hondas) I did want an open mind about other bikes since I know I will eventually re-sell to get the one I wanted. But like yourself, I did a crap ton of research and although other bikes are nice, I could never find anybody complain about the shadow. Sure, the Harley's are nice bikes! But you pay double the price for the same power...I'm not into that.

Next was size engine. EVERYONE told me NOT to get the rebel. Even female riders who started out with the rebel thinking it would be a good thing. They all wanted to get bigger within months even weeks! So I was aiming for the 750. I found plenty of them in my price range, but I prefer to look of the bigger fenders like the Aero or the ACE. Then I found my bike...it's an 1100 and I was really unsure, everyone told me it would be too big to start off and not the best bike for a beginner..now I say Pish posh! I rode my friends 750 and I haven't noticed a big difference. Plus, the guy I bought the bike off of agreed to sell it to me for the same price I would get a 750! Why not pay the same to get more? So I jumped on it. Plus, re-sale will be pretty good as people like to move up in size.

So, don't like the size get to you too much. As long as you can sit on the bike with comfort, you're golden. Cruisers are very difference than crotch rockets when it comes to engine size and you said you were 6'1 at 250, well I'm 5'7 and LOVE my Sabre 1100.

Hope this helps! :)

Keep the rubber on the ground!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.