Honda Shadow Forums banner

Shaft drive vs. Chain drive

10K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  Furball Zen 
#1 ·
Ok, so I haven't bought the bike yet, but i noticed that the newer Honda Shadow line of MC's come with a drive shaft instead of a chain, which is what im used to. Never riden a bike with a drive shaft before. Can anyone give me pros and cons? Thanks.

#2 ·
Chain: pros-able to change ratios through sprocket change-out, cons-never ending maint., more of a mess(oil sling), noisier ride. Shaft: pros-quieter ride, low maint., less mess. cons- inability to change to a higher drive ratio for highway speeds unless upsizing rear tire. (and you can only go so far with that one.)

#3 ·
A chain is cheaper to replace, a shaft drive, much more costly to replace..
A shaft drive is more reliable than a chain - has a much-MUCH longer life - can last the life of the bike with proper maintenance.
A shaft drive robs small amounts of power - more noticeably off the line..

#4 ·
Ok, so I haven't bought the bike yet, but i noticed that the newer Honda Shadow line of MC's come with a drive shaft instead of a chain, which is what im used to.
Newer? As in less than 25 years old? My bike is NOT new at all and it's had a shaft for over 15 years.

Never riden a bike with a drive shaft before. Can anyone give me pros and cons?
Less maintenance with a shaft. That's about all that matters on a cruiser. You get into sport bikes and the list of differences has more meaningful items -- though unless you're racing they probably don't matter much either. (Chain is better for the racers.)

#5 ·
I prefer shaft drive on a cruiser.

Pros shaft drive:
low maintenance (don't need to keep oiling and adjusting a chain)
don't have to replace chain and sprockets (save money)

Cons shaft drive:
lose more power to the rear wheel than chain drive
no gearing changes
shaft drive is heavier than chain drive

#7 ·
There is no comparing, ...really.

I've a 37 year old Goldwing with over 200K miles total and on its 3rd engine ...that I've always flogged hard.

...still using the original drive assembly including the u-joints.

For the street, a shafty is a better option.
Tire height (final ratio) is easily changed with a car tire.

#8 ·
Only shaft drive bike I've had was the CB900c. Other than the pinion trying to climb the ring gear at times (raising the rear of the bike) you won't even notice it's there.

Personally I have no problem with chain drive. Cleaning and lubing one doesn't take that much time, and taken care of they will last a long time. My '09 Rebel, granted it can't be hard on a chain with it's massive 12 hp at the rear wheel, still has the factory chain on it at 18,600 miles. Maintaining a chain/sprockets is nothing more to me than checking lights, tire pressure, fasteners, etc... It's part of ownership.

#11 ·
CHAIN DRIVE vs SHAFT DRIVE.......Give me a shaft drive any day. Maintaining a shaft drive is as easy as checking your oil. They usually last longer than the bike. It takes some serious force to damage those ring and pinion gears. Also removing the rear wheel is as simple as pulling the axle and letting the rear wheel swing down, and no adjustments or replacements are needed. Stopping is easier, as shaft drive has a little more friction than a chain, but that also means brake pads last longer. Shafts also lift the rear of the bike on a hard take off, making wheel spin less likely.

Chains wear out, sprockets wear out, constant lubing is required, constant adjustment is required. Removing the rear wheel is more complicated. Sprockets can be warped or bent if your bike falls over. Chains can break or come off if something gets caught by the chain while riding, which could also damage the motor or you the rider. Chain drives lift the rear wheel on a hard take off making tire spin more likely, and that is dangerous. As a spinning tire is an uncontrollable tire.

Well there are a few things to ponder on. Just remember while your asking "what should I do?" Im going to be riding.
FOR PETE SAKE MAN, IT IS A HONDA!!!! BUY IT, RIDE IT, ENJOY LIFE!!!!!

#13 ·
My opinion after owning 2 bikes with chain and now my 1100 Shadow with shaft drive. More maintenance vs shaft. Shaft drive is sealed from the elements, chain is exposed.

Wondering why no one has chimed in in regards to belt drive? ;)

#15 ·
Wondering why no one has chimed in in regards to belt drive? ;)

I know belt is quite, clean and no HP loss but I would not own one, all the group rides I have been on the most common failure is belt, stone in the works then fail..... Not for me.

#14 ·
1st year I rode 100cc & 360 had chain drive
Every bike since has been shaft drive

#20 ·
Shaft drive is NOT forgiving and can be 'rough' till you learn to ride with it. Coming straight from a chain to a shaft in the last year, im still adjusting, but it only took a couple k's to get more or less used to it. The power is immediate, but in 5th gear there is a perceived vibration over the chain because you seem to feel the mesh of the gears even though there is no slop.

#24 ·
I`ve changed my chain & sprocket set several times in the 127000 miles, lubed and adjusted it often...
Big Dog`s 1100 V-Star has had his "rear Spline hub" replaced twice in 55,000...
Wheel bearings twice too???

I have no preference,

D

#25 ·
I`ve changed my chain & sprocket set several times in the 127000 miles, lubed and adjusted it often...
Big Dog`s 1100 V-Star has had his "rear Spline hub" replaced twice in 55,000...
Wheel bearings twice too???

I have no preference,

D
'Mornin' Dennis! :D

...I think, out of the three, the better would be a shaft drive.. Ordinarily, the pro's of a bike fitted with one, outweigh the cons across the board - especially if you prefer low maintenance machines..

Me tho', I just love to tinker with my bikes, not a day goes by when I'm not inspecting or adjusting something on them, every Saturday morning I clean and lube the chain (for example); so, just another excuse to get my little hands dirty :D

But, when it comes to consideration before you buy, it's like Leathel says, it's where you ride too... If you had a choice between shaft, chain and belt, and you plan to ride on primitive or rough roads, a shaft drive is just going to give you less headaches..

If you putter around town, always on smooth road, and you like to work on your own bikes and tinker, take your pick..

But, overall.. I think Honda called it correctly for fitting shaft drives to newer Shadows.. Just an opinion.. ;) ... :D

#26 ·
I've had both, and am still a bit 'torn' over the issue. On the one hand, the shaft I had ('85 VT700), was great! The gearing was not to where I felt I needed a 6th gear, and it ran so smooth I could take my hands off the handlebars to adjust my gloves/sleeves/whatever, without fear of going into the other lane or off the road. I have heard others complain though, about feeling like they need another gear for the highway on 'newer' models. On the other hand, my current chain drive is wonderful! I was able to change the gearing so that instead of shifting INTO 5th gear at 45-50 mph, I'm shifting into 5th gear at 60 mph, so highways are PERFECT! I'm now at nearly 50k miles on the bike, and have only changed the chain twice (about $80/change for parts), so it's not TOO expensive, but certainly MORE than you would need for the shaft drive. I like that with the chain drive I can change the gearing, but do miss the reliability and low/no maintenance of the shaft drive. I guess it depends on the bike with the shaft. If it's feeling like needing another gear, I'd go with chain, but if not, I'd get the shaft (no jokes, please!).

#33 ·
I'd get the shaft (no jokes, please!).
I had several jokes lined up but to keep it friendly I will refrain...:wink2:

I have a shaft drive and this is the first owned bike. I have no problems but as one person mentioned (in this or another post) starting off from a stop seems a little slow sometimes. But I do need to adjust my clutch as I do not have much of a slip zone. At least not as much as the chain drive bikes I have ridden seem to have.

#34 ·
I didn't have any adjustment period switching to shaft drive
Other then never having to worry about a chain again
I've never had any vibration on any of the shaft drive bikes I've owned

#40 ·
To put it into perspective, this really is a choice between good and better (the individual can decide which is which). I figure that they both work pretty well and it would not be a deciding factor in choosing a street bike for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.