Honda Shadow Forums banner

New to forum, considering 1983 Shadow 750

892 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  swifty2014 
#1 ·
It's been since high school/college since I've had a bike. It was a Kawasaki 440 ltd that I loved. I sold it when needed money for something (maybe building my house or garage, or getting a new car). Now I'd like to get back on a bike. There is a pretty nice 83 750 here for around $1700 with 15k miles. I'm trying to decide if that's a decent deal, if that's a good bike for a rusty rider. I loved the 440, but that was before a wife and child, 20 years and 60# ago. I was a 140# boy then. I'm a 200# old man now.
Any thoughts or recommendations? I'm looking for just something to ride around on. Maximum ride would be a few hours, but mostly 10 miles to work on nice summer days.
Thanks!

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum. $1,700 is way to much and they may laugh at you for purchased the bike for the asking price. Like smilie said parts could be a severe problem if some thing happened. Keep looking their is a better deal out there for you. Where are you located.

#10 ·
It is if you find one in good condition and priced right. You mentioned you didn't want to do a lot of "tinkering". Buy a newer bike. With a bike that age things have had a lot years to weather/deteriorate. Rubber parts are dried and cracking, bearings are dry, tires are probably shot, hydraulic are most likely a mess, etc. You get my drift. For $1700.00 you can go newer. The deals are out there, you just have to bide your time and be educated on what bike you're interested in purchasing. Good luck shopping!:wink2:

#12 ·
I had a few smaller Hondas in the 1960's and 70's but hadn't ridden in years since. A friend had a 1983 750 and it was well maintained, so I got it. I had to get confidence with a heaver bike than I had before but practice has made it feel natural now. Good power and dependable Honda. If it is in decent shape and won't need a lot of work it might be good at $ 1200.00, or so. Parts are a bit hard to find so evaluate that when looking at the quality of maintenance. I am 210# and old also. Give it a good ride and check all 6 gears and power band.

Local ad=

83 Honda 750 shadow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.