Honda Shadow Forums banner

New here

271 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Bogamire 
#1 ·
hello everyone! I'm not an owner of a Shadow but I'm helping a friend with her 85 500 and could use a little help.
I have a couple of old Honda, a 74 cb550 and a 72 cl175, and have worked on many different Japanese bikes in the past so I'm pretty comfortable with these old machines.
I'm currently have trouble gaining access to the starter motor. I downloaded the manual, thanks to your site, so I'm familiar with the steps necessary. The problem I'm having is removing the rear exhaust.
I've removed the bolts holding it to the motor and removed the bolt that attaches the header to the muffler section. Should I be trying to pull the header free from the muffler section (towards the front of the bike) while twisting the header away from the motor?
I am getting a fair amount of resistance which is why I'm hesitant to apply too much force.
Any help would be great!

-bogamire in Maine

#2 ·
You may have to remove all bolts, and with the front disconnected, it may slide back enough to get clear of the rear studs. Then it may drop enough to get to the starter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.