Honda Shadow Forums banner

xyz-Third of three new threads

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  xyz 
#1 ·
Thanks for weeding through three posts from a first timer. I really appreciate these online communities and the good people who share their expert knowledge. I just inherited a really nice 2005 Aero VT750C from a former student of mine who had to leave the country. I am just getting acquainted with it and it seems quite a bit more complex than other bikes I have owned. The bike seems to be running well but also seems to have been neglected with regards to maintenance and cleaning. It was clearly dropped when stopped a couple of times and has a scratched tank and broken lights to prove it. My plan is to clean it up and start going through fluids beginning with engine oil and get it running safe and well. What advice does anyone have about 1) washing the bike and 2) oil and filter. I will go the forums and read about all this but if there is someone willing to point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. Your plan of attack is a good one. Has the bike just sat for any length of time. Remove the battery to charge and load test the battery to see if it is good. Change the oil and filter don't forget the air filter too. As far as oil use a standard oil with no friction modifiers. Read the link below. I use Valvoline 10W-40 with a Hastings filter. Washing the bike use the same cleaner and wax you would use on any car. After that just ask and some one will explain how to change the rest of the fluids.

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/70331-oilology.html

#3 ·
^^^ what he said... I wouldn't use a pressure sprayer (car wash). That puts water in places that it's not supposed to be (inside bearings and what not). Just a hose, bucket, soap, and a rag. I use a leaf blower to help with the drying. It gets most of the water out of all the nooks and cranny's. Follow up with a dry soft towel and wax of your choice.

Welcome to the forum!

#6 ·
Washing your motorcycle and drying it by hand is good for a number of reasons. When you dry the bike by hand, you are forced to "inspect" all the different nuts, bolts, fasteners, cables, wires, etc. and see the condition everything is in. I like to check the tires too - look for cracks, dry rot, tire wear indicators, a tire that has been plugged or patched, etc.

Good Luck and Welcome from Minnesota!

#8 ·
Thanks everybody! The bike starts up well. It was being ridden regularly before I took it. I'm more concerned about the fact that it was just not being cared for (left outside in the rain, no idea when fluids and air filter were last changed, low tire pressure, etc.) I'll take 7xclm's advice and get an air filter to go with my Spectro4 standard 10W-40 oil and a K&N 240 filter. Then I'll clean it up, get air in the tires, and take it out someplace where I can get a nice photo to post. You will be impressed--it is a really nice bike!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.