Honda Shadow Forums banner

Returning to riding after 23 years.. Advice needed please.

715 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  FredieUSA 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am from the North/East SF Bay ARea. Near Vallejo CA.

Getting back to riding and just picked up a 2001 VT1100C2. I dont know much about it. Reading about this bike landed me here.

I have several questions..

1 - I need to park my bike on the street, what can I do to decrease the probability of it getting stolen?

2 - I am good with my hands and tools, is there a guide on DIY on servicing for this model online? This has not been ridden for a while I am told.

Thank you.
FD

#2 ·
Well welcome back to riding. There are some disc brake rotor alarms. You can run logging chain through both wheels then chain it to a light pole. There is nothing that you can do to stop a few strong guys from picking the bike up and putting it in the back of a truck then drive off. I would find a secure storage center to park the bike. Purchase a service manual for the bike. Charge the battery and have it load tested. If it fails you need a new battery. With the bike not being ridden in a while you will have to go through the entire bike and change all the fluids, filters, lube all the cables, clean the entire fuel system including rebuilding the carbs. Change the oil and filter. Replace the spark plugs. Do the tires have cracking if so they will have to be replaced. The link below will show you the exploded parts fiche for your bike.

Lemond's Yamaha-Honda-Kawasaki-Suzuki & Kubota, Carter, Ltd. - Honda Power Equipment: Generators & Pumps

#4 ·
If you can't secure it inside, get good insurance and you can try a rotor lock, something like these.
Robot Check

#5 ·
Search for an actual Honda Service Manual for your bike.... Usually you can find one used on eBay.
Haynes or Clymer? guess that's better than no manual at all.

Best of luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.