Honda Shadow Forums banner

Need opinions on bike deal.

3K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  GRThomas 
#1 ·
I folks, new member here. I found the site while researching the Shadows and looking for my first bike. I could really use some input from folks that have some experience. Below is a link to a 2009 Shadow Aero that I really like but wanted to get some opinions on the deal thats being offered.

The bike only has a little over 6000 miles. I looked at it today at the dealer and whoever had it last must have taken really good care of it because it was flawless. The listed price is $4999 and the bike has a windshield, saddle bags, backrest, floor boards for the driver, a heel toe shifter and a Mustang seat. On top of the listed price the guy said there were 2 additional fees, each about $300. I think he said one was a safety inspection and something about checking oil and tire pressure which to me is nothing more than BS. A two year warranty also $500 but not really sure what it covers and I'm thinking I really wouldn't need this.

I looked the bike up on KBB and looked up prices for all the accessories, when I added KBB value and the price of the accessories it was a little over $5300.00

So my question is, Minus the goofy dealer fees and the warranty, does this bike sound overpriced or is $4999.00 a reasonable deal.
I refuse to pay someone to check the oil and tire pressure. The thought of a safety inspection rubbed me the wrong way too

It seems to be much easier to research cars than motorcycles, Thanks in advance.

2009 Honda® Shadow® Aero Stock: 501492 | Cycles of Jacksonville

See less See more
#4 ·
I would say no. There is no way I would pay $600 in fees on a used bike and I wouldn't pay additional for the accessories that are already on there. You can get a better deal from a private seller.
Ditto. The value of used accessories is ZERO, especially from a dealer who probably discounted the trade-in because of them.

With $5,300 KBB value there is no way in the world anyone should be willing to pay $5k + $600 in BS charges that should have been included in the price PLUS $500 for a two-year warranty that covers everything the bike won't need and nothing (specifically: routine maintenance) it will. RIPOFF!

#3 ·
Extra fees on top of top of the sticker price and in February? Offer $3000 and see what happens. To many bikes for sale and its not June. $5000 is to much I think.

#5 ·
I will offer a little different opinion. When I bought my first bike I had no education about motorcycles. I went to a local dealer and they pointed me to a bike that would work for me that I liked. I might have paid about $500.00 over KBB price but for me it was worth it to get a bike from a dealer who had checked it out and would stand behind the purchase. They did not give me a warranty but I felt very good about the condition of the bike. Their reputation was at stake.
I read so many times here on this forum and others of new riders picking up a bike cheap then spending all summer trying to work out the problems with it. I paid extra and got a bike in good running condition and have been riding ever since. If you know a lot about bikes and their maintenance then maybe its ok to shop around on your own and take a chance with a cheaper price......after all if there is an issue with the bike you could probably figure it out. But for a beginner as I was I wanted a solid bike I didn't have to worry about. That was worth a few extra bucks to me. Having ridden for several years now...I would by from an individual and deal with any issues I might come across, but glad I bought from a dealer I could trust.

#7 ·
I like the idea of the warranty as long as it is a good warranty. I would do as said above and ask for detailed papers. The only other fee other than bike price that should be mandatory is tax and title. Everything else should be optional. When buying from a dealership, a safety inspection should come automatically at no extra cost. I'm in the process of buying my first bike and I am only paying tax and title. I will get a new inspection with the purchase. I am thinking that you are working with someone who receives commission and these are options offered. Some sales people will say these services are mandatory to the purchase process rather than an option so you are more likely to buy them and they will pad their check. These services usually offer a higher pay rate to the sales person than the actual sale. I spent some time selling cars and furniture. In the furniture business, I would sell a mattress for $1000 and earn %2 of that in commission. The pillows that cost $60 a piece would earn me %30 commission. Get the idea?? We used to push those pillows like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Pass. That's expensive for an 09 with abt 7k miles. I got my `10 with 7k miles for that price from a private seller in 2012, had it inspected by someone who knew about bikes and an additional 21k miles later, i feel safe to say i didn't get cheated by the seller. Add ons aren't good enough reason for such a high price. Also, Steven's bike isn't worth $4500 either. Both of these bikes are in the $3500 category if you try to find several private sellers. These bikes weren't customized for you, so you shouldn't have to pay top $$$ when owners try to sell them for any reason.

#11 ·
I've bought a few bikes from dealers and I can tell you from experience they don't go over them very well. They make sure the bike doesn't make any undue noise and doesn't leak and that it's as shinny as it can get that's about it.

#14 ·
I was that guy who bought a cheap used bike and spent a summer trying to fix all the little things (Still working on it). I am an engineer though so I was expecting that and looking forward to it. If i were not I definitely would like the sound of a 2 year warranty. I would definitely get a copy of that and see what is actually covered. A safety inspection is always a good idea as well. Is there any way you could take the bike to another shop that you trust and have it inspected? That way if they find anything you can use that in the negotiation process. I would set a max price in your head and try to negotiate down to that with them. They probably arent expecting to get asking price for it. There no reason to be afraid to walk away if they aren't willing to budge either. Leave your phone number and tell them to give you a call if they find a lower price. Personally I think if you could get it for 4500 it wouldn't be a bad deal. Keep looking around and maybe you'll find something better.

#16 · (Edited)
Buy from private owner = possibly cheaper. If something serious goes wrong right away you eat the price.
Maybe Ok if you do your own work.

Buy from reputable dealer = pay a little more. If serious breakdown right away they gotta honor the
warranty. Seriously check the warranty, cuz that is what you are paying for.

Worth considering if you don't do own work and have little knowledge of what to look for. BUT ! You
still want to check it out as much as can. Dealer usually cares about his reputation, but he is still a
wheeler dealer by definition. He won't spend any more than he has to in order to get a potential
customer interested. Bring knowledgeable friend to check it out if can. Take your time , that advice
of giving standing offer and phone number and walk out is good advise.

Add Ons , usually the seller eats that cost when selling..........my guess is the dealer made sure of that unless
it was traded in for new bike that dealer had max mark up on.

It looks good in pics, mileage not at all bad , and usually a Honda is pretty good bet for longevity .......
Anything serious usually shows up on a good exciting test ride. Don't be afraid to open it up. If you
are going to find a problem you want it to be on his dime. Don't be shy. Modesty can be expensive.

Good Luck. Ride Safe.

#25 ·
Buy from reputable dealer = pay a little more.
And I agree with that. The key is REPUTABLE. I paid "extra" for my bike when I bought it for a couple of reasons -- one of which being I had a private-sale-bike sold out from under me AFTER I left a deposit and the other was that I wanted it on my birthday. Ended up with colors I did not want (but have grown to love) and a brand-new bike (only 8 miles) and 15.5 years later that "extra" is long forgotten.

FWIW, the bike has lasted longer than the dealer.

#17 ·
I would say no to fees and include the warranty at no added cost, then offer them a happy medium price that makes YOU comfy. Offer $4000 with the previous conditions, they say no, leave, but make sure they have ur number b4 you do, they will counter offer.

#18 ·
I never worked with a bike dealer but worked at Japanese car dealers for many years. On a trade in car, at least, it has to go into the shop first to see what may be needed. Called a used car inspection. If the brakes are not good or major engine or transmission problems, these would all be taken into consideration and if it was bad, it would be wholesaled. So an inspection should have already be done before it was put out on the lot. Usually an inspection sheet is available to see what condition various systems were. So a $300.00 fee should already be in the selling price and any repairs that had to be done for SAFETY. Sounds suspicious about those fees. Unless some of it is license and transfer fees.
And the aftermarket mechanical breakdown warranty that is offered may cover oil seals or major engine or transmission failures but not much else. I think they are a big gamble.

#19 ·
Thank all for taking the time to leave a response. I never had any intentions on paying the fees of buying the warranty but to satisfy my curiosity I did email the guy back and asked him to explain the fees again. Still didn't get a good explanation but rather a quote and out the door price of 6145.70 and that was without the warranty. So for S&Gs told him I'd give him 3000 for it plus tax and title and never did get a response. So either one day they will try to contact me and work out some kind of deal or Ill never hear from them again. Either way is OK with me. Guess Ill start looking more on CL. As bad as I want to get a bike I still get just as much satisfation when I tell them no and walk out the door. Same when I buy a car. I have plenty of time.

#20 ·
I had a dealer last year that we worked with a few times. We found a bike that I liked and it just seemed to be a little high for the price. We negotiated down about $300 but it was still a bit off of the mark for me. We made a final offer to take a total of $600 off of the price and they told us they could not do it. We looked around a little longer and left. We weren't out the door for 10 minutes when they called me to accept my offer. Sometimes as long as your there they can stand ground but if you show that you are willing to walk if they don't play ball then they will be more inclined to work to your demands. Don't be afraid to walk even if you have every intention of going back. It loosens up the sales staff a good bit

#21 ·
DayzeSRS that is funny about shaking up the sales staff.
You can just picture it if it were a car dealer=
The salesman comes in and the used car manager asks if he sold that vehicle. He says the customer walked off because they didn't like the price. So they scramble around and the closer and the finance manager and used car manager and general manager say they need to sell one more unit for the month because sales have been down. So they say " call the customer right now and get them back in here".
Maybe a little less complicated in the bike business but similar game. :roll:

#22 ·
It's the same in all commission based sales environments. The trick is to not be the typical rude customer. Work with the salesman because that will make him work with you. You can leave a deal and still put in a solid effort towards the sales staff. It's all in balance. Know what to avoid so that your not being "sold" anything but also allow them to help in YOUR decision. That is their job. Coming from that with my previous work experience, a salesman always appreciates a customer that is easy to work for and a good salesman will allow you to be just that.

#23 ·
In response to DayzeSRS. I agree with what you said about being a typical rude customer and one of my greatest faults is being short tempered and hot headed.

I also understand that these sales men are just trying to make a living and feed their families and pay bill just like the rest of us. I also have no problems paying a fair price for a product and a deal thats good for everyone involved. I get the destination charge too, someone has to buy the fuel to put in the truck and pay the driver to deliver it, I don't expect something for nothing.

It probably wouldn't bother me so much if the dealers were more up front about the prices of their cars or motorcycles instead of asking for ridiculous fees like undercoating, scotch guard or administrative fees and stuff like that.

So, heres an example of why I tend to get rude so quickly. A friend of mine called me the other day from a Honda dealer (a car dealer) to tell me about the great deal he was getting on new Honda Civic. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed and Im sure they noticed that the first time he opened his mouth. A new 2016 Honda Civic, sticker price $21,000. He was offered $1000.00 on his trade which was probably a good offer considering the car he was trading. He wanted to put $6000.00 down and finance the rest. Well they told him there would be $5000.00 if "fees" which put the price of the car up to $26,000 leaving him to finance the rest. They gave him 12% interest and a payment of $350.00 a month for 72 months. I wanted to crawl through the cell phone and choke someone. Luckily he told me about it before he signed the papers and I told him to run away and he did.

Because of stuff like this Im already in a bad mood about shopping as soon as I pull up on the lot and it takes about two seconds for me to get rude. To me what the dealer was trying to do is nothing short of stealing, Its lying, a dishonest way to get money from someone. I asked a dealer one time after buying a car how often people jump on the first deal the dealer offered and he said people do it all the time. Im not accusing all sales men of being dishonest but you never know who your dealing with.

I found a 2013 Shadow Phantom at a dealer in St. Augustine Fl listed on their web site for $5440.00 that I may look at but guarantee when I get there there will be an additional $1000.00 if fees added to it.

#24 ·
As others have said, that dealer is asking way too much for that bike. They will never come down to a fair price for that bike. They know someone will come in, fall in love and pay their price. Time is on their side. Check Ebay, Craigs list, and other local adds and you will probably find a good bike for half that price. Good luck!!

#26 · (Edited)
Glenn, another good source is CycleTrader.com . Noticed there are quite a few bikes listed in your area. Patience is good , can literally save thousands.

Just to give an example I used their search: Put in : Honda. Shadow. Zip code in Jville. Within 400 miles.
Over 800 bike listings popped up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.