Honda Shadow Forums banner

Flat tires.

476 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  CSRoad 
#1 ·
Since I have to make three post and I have another question here is number 2 of 3. What do you do about the possibility of a flat when on a long trip? When I buy a new car that has a doughnut the first thing I do is get a full size spare. Its saved my behind not to long ago when I was 150 miles from home and sun was setting. Change the tire and rock on. Do you take extra tubes or plugs or what ?

#2 ·
If your wheels are tubeless, you can carry a roadside repair kit. If you have tubed wheels, an extra tube isn't going to do you any good because you need a way to raise the bike and remove the wheel as well. (not very feasible at roadside) I carry roadside assistance on my insurance and don't let my tires get too bad.

#3 ·
Last flat I had was a fence staple in the tread of my rear tire of my 750 ACE (tube type) it was just about down too the wear bars and new ones were on the way to me already.

I noticed all was not happy in cornering and made it on a very soft tire to a store that had aerosol style Slime (Warning: For Automotive Applications ONLY!) and after pulling the staple and squirting the stuff in through the valve was able to cautiously complete my 100 mile or so ride home.

The tire continued to hold air and the bike was used for a couple of short rides until the next weekend rolled around and I changed the tires and tubes.
BTW tire changing is not something I would like to do at the side of the road even if I had the tools.

After removing the tube I reinflated it and I could see the two small green dots, it sits in the corner of my shed and last time I looked after a few months it was still holding air.

This may be a wrong headed thing to do and I may have just got lucky, but it did work this once and I now keep one of the cans sitting on the shelf to chuck into my saddlebag for long rides.

All in all paying for roadside assistance is probably the best approach, but it really depends where you are and the cell towers reach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.