Honda Shadow Forums banner

Reserve Tank

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Rocketryan 
#1 ·
I'm really new to bikes and I have a question about the reserve tank.

Do I have to somehow fill it myself or does filling the main tank fill the reserve? Also, do I need to use my reserve at some point? Old gas and whatnot or do they mix?

Thanks,
Scott

#3 ·
The "reserve" tank is just the lower portion of the tank. The petcock has an upper and lower opening, so when you switch from one to another, you are changing which opening the gas flows through. The gas mixes and unless you are riding super smooth roads with no turns, it will mix with fresh gas. If you ever need to switch to reserve, make sure you switch back at the next fill up, it would suck to run dry. Another member here suggested turning the key cover on the gas cap to remind them to turn it back.

Welcome to the forum.

#5 ·
I use mine, I am guessing it gives me about 50 Kms and yes, it is the bottom of the tank but I am sure it mixes when your bike bounces down the road, when I am on reserve tank I get gas and turn the reserve off again, haven't run out yet, just like the fuel light on your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.