Honda Shadow Forums banner

New thread 2/3

534 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  blue flames 
#1 ·
I've had my heart set on a Shadow since I took the safety course for my motorcycle endorsement. (4 years ago) Now, finally, this weekend I made plans to meet up with a fellow selling 2, a 98 1100 ACE tourer and an 01 750 Spirit.

I'm thinking one for me (the tourer) and the 750 for my wife. We are also planning to look at a Rebel 450 to see which one she likes best.

I realize there are members who will say that the ACE tourer is a big bike to start out on, I'm okay with that. I'm mostly looking for some tips for first time riders, also since getting both bikes home will involve a 100km highway commute, possibly in poor weather.

#2 ·
If your first road ride on unknown bikes is going to be across 100 km of traffic in poor weather, I strongly recommend you rent or borrow a trailer and equipment to get the bikes home.....so you can practice in your own neighborhood in familiar surroundings.

Otherwise, have the seller meet you at a large empty parking lot, where you can practice on the bikes before getting on the highway.
Please: check the bikes out closely.
It's easy to get hung up on paint jobs and accessories. Chrome won't get you home.
Older tires, or even underinflated tires, kill bikers often. Blowouts have an unforgiving learning curve.

Use the parking lot to practice takeoffs, turns, and braking.
Get a good feel for how that front brake can bail you out....or pitch you headfirst, high side.
Put your head on a swivel, any time you stop. Be scanning your mirrors for trouble developing behind you.Leave yourself an escape route in traffic.
Another healthy habit to learn early on, is resting at least two fingers of your right hand on that front brake lever, anytime you ride. Just that split-second of difference in faster reaction time has saved our hides, and paintjobs, a few times.
Please be careful. Poor weather makes riding treacherous, at any level of experience.

Best of luck. Ride safe.

There are many fine riders here who will chime in and help with words of seasoned, salty advice.
And they do so because they just like bikers, and want 100% of them to survive and enjoy this forever.

#3 ·
Gnarly nailed it. I bought my first bike about an hour and a half away in another state at dark. I white knuckled it all the way home, but made it. Practice in a parking lot like Gnarly said. Get a feel of the brakes, balance and so on. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
Im experienced but took about 5 yrs off. The new girl was about 35 miles away. Went for a test ride and got acquainted with her and gave the guy 100 bucks down. Went back the next day to pick her up and by the time I got to the freeway I was totally comfortable with her. Its been marital bliss since!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.