Honda Shadow Forums banner

Adding lights

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Ronin38 
#1 ·
I have a VLX with a memphis shades fattie windscreen and would like to add driving lights without using a lightbar bracket. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 · (Edited)
I've seen folks add lights to the engine guards,,no clue how they did the wiring. I fabbed a bubba light bar that kinda blends in to the existing "tree" where the headlight is mounted. I used aluminum angle bar.

and used cheap driving lights because my wallet is thin. They throw a lot of light. I had to use some bolt extensions on the headlight mounting bolts. It's held up for years now too. But not chrome.

#3 ·
Try to find some friends to help you install them, whatever you get.
I took my Shadow to a shop to get some lights installed. They said they had trouble with the wiring harness and it took most of the day to get all the wiring done. And they charge by the hour, of course. BIG bill to get just 4 lights installed. :(

#6 ·
BIG bill to get just 4 lights installed. :(
As an automotive electrician, I can tell you that this a common situation. We decline most "custom" work, since it always take longer than people expect to do the job right.

For the right customer and the right job, we make exceptions, but I have to know customer well. Adding LED strips? Better do one that yourself.

Not to mention that most of the automotive stuff is crap quality.

#4 ·
I had no where to mount them , I bought two fork mount brackets and a cheap light bar with some 55 watt Wal-Mart lights ,bright enough to see the road. I can't see very well at night without them . I also added a 100/80 watt Hella headlight, 210 watts on high but still shows a charge, your stator puts more than this one.
1982 Honda GL500I SilverWing.

#5 ·
Kuryakyn makes a $20 chrome clamp that will fit your upper forks and set alongside your headlamp.
Not a lightbar, but even more streamlined.
Mounts snugly and stays put.
Takes up less space than a bar.
Works on most lights that are mounted by a stud or bolt.

When I went to all-LED, I took my lightbar off and used these instead.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/k...58-in-chrome-for-41mm-forks-tube/part/KY-4017

#7 ·
I have Memphis Fats on my bike and was having the same problem. Where to mount them? I did not want to spend a small fortune for a light bar so this is what I did.
I bought a set of these

got a switch

got some 3/4" flat aluminum stock and made 2 "L" brackets, polished them and then mounted them on the Memphis Fats using the bottom holes on the screen and facing them towards the front.

and from the front

Has worked well for me for almost a year now. The 10 watt led's are quite bright at night and really light the suicidal deer up on the sides of the road.
Also don't forget whatever type lights you go for, run them thru a relay, you don't need to add more power going thru the start button.
Anyway that's my .02:surprise:

#11 ·
That wasn't directed at you, HS, I just wanted to clarify it. ;)

I got my schtuff from Amazon.

#13 ·
Seems clear to me, also those are good looking lights, are they as small as they look?

The air displacement from the big honking spots on Grace make the windshield mandatory and I'd prefer to take it off and ride as man intended...
Through June bug gritted teeth lol

#14 ·
The lights are as small as they look and I got mine off of ebay for $33.99 with free shipping. Sometimes you can get a better deal ordering directly from China ( I use ailexpress.com) with free shipping but if you are in a hurry you'll have to pay for shipping. The chinese are a tad slow with free shipping. My last order from them only took 2 1/2 weeks but I have had it take as long as 6 weeks.
Anyway the lights work well for what I needed and that is to be able to see suicidal deer on my way home at night after work. In the last
couple of months the company has done away with our evening shift so now I'm on days.

#15 ·
Yep, they're very compact. I have mine aimed like fog lights, low & outside of the headlight. No one ever flashes their lights at me, but there is plenty of light to light up street signs, animal eyes, and make drivers in daylight hours see me better. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.