Honda Shadow Forums banner

How Long Have You Had Your Shadow?

3K views 24 replies 24 participants last post by  X3r0 
#1 ·
I am helping my son shop for his first bike and wondering how long people have been riding their Shadows. Is it a starter bike where folks quickly move up to bigger/better bikes or do people find they meet their needs for many years?

Thanks!

Scott.

#3 ·
8 months.

Reposted from your other thread:

I am on a 750, which is great for what I do with it. I use mine mainly as a commuter bike and the odd weekend ride with buddies (200 miles). If I was doing longer rides I would be looking for a bigger bike, 1300 maybe.

my .02

#5 ·
My 750 was a starter bike for me, but as you'll find it doesn't have to be. I upgraded to an 1100 for two reasons: legs not as cramped (I'm 6'1") and a lot more top end for cruising at speed. If all I did was commute to work, I'd have kept the 750. Some day I plan to get a nice hard bagger, but with any luck I'll still keep the Shadow.

#10 ·
I had my 750 ACE for almost 4 years before I decided to get something different. I could have kept it forever, but I decided after a long trip to get something that I could ride across country if I wanted too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I have had mine for a year now. I do not ride on the interstate that much mostly back roads on the weekends and commute to work. The 750's are, in my opinion, great for this type of riding, plenty of power when needed, and great fuel mileage too. when you get the bike around 60 mph or higher you wish that there was another gear or two in the transmission.

I personally would suggest a bike no larger than a 750 for a starter bike. You can always upgrade later if needed or wanted.

I had a Suzuki 800 about twenty years ago and put 20k miles on it before I moved somewhere it snowed and it was my only transportation.

Hope this helps.

#15 ·
Going on four years for me, but I'm thinking of moving up...to another "starter" bike, the CTX700, which is actually smaller. This size suits my needs. If I ever do my coast to coast Route 50 ride, I will probably buy an FJR1300 Yamaha, but for the riding I do now I'm fine.

#18 ·
Bought in 2007...
Rode to Sturgis and Miami were my long rides...
I regularly run 300+ miles to the mountains ONE WAY! For a long weekend...
My daily transport to town, 20 miles round trip, turns into 50 or 70 miles...
My 750 FITS ME!
I`ve been on bigger, as I do a lot of repair for folks...

Lets Ride + "Let me get my Boots"

D

#19 ·
Almost long enough!
They are jewels, and I love my ACEs, but my one-year plan is to finish all the upgrades and hand them off to 2 grown Sons.

#20 ·
Wait, we sposed to ride shadows?
I loved the look of my Aero 750, but it was too small and I couldn't see sinking a bunch of money making it fit better and still have smaller cc. So, after 6 months I sold it for exactly double and get the Aero's big brother the vtx 1300r. It was an easy transition for me. The Aero was my 1st bike, prettiest too. But, never having done any riding on asphalt it was a perfect starter, but, I realized bigger would be needed. Some people do wonderful on smaller cc bikes and never want anything different.
With a few upgrades a 600 or 750 can hang with most bikes on the interstate and will out run them in the curves. It's all about the individual.
Shadows are awesome bikes, to learn on or live on, great bikes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I'm one of those that got one bike that I really liked and kept it. Got my 2006 vlx new in July 2005 with zero miles on it, now after nearly 70,000 miles, I'm still satisfied. I'm not a large person and the vlx has met my needs both rural riding and the interstate. I didn't do too bad either when I rode the Dragon on it. Eleven years on it now.

old dad

#22 ·
Thank you to all that took the time to share their thoughts and experiences. My take from all this is that, if the Shadow 750 physically fits, many people see no need to trade up, even for some that do highway/high speed cruising. However there were a few that felt highway/high speed cruising over long distances requires a physically bigger bike for mounting storage solutions and a larger motor/taller gearing for higher speeds.

Thanks again everyone!!!

#24 ·
Scott

The key phrase in your post is "meet your NEEDS for many years"... however you have not defined needs. I have kept my 1995 ACE since new but would not use it for more than it was designed for: its a cruiser with some medium distance capabilities. Its not a sport bike, touring bike, adventure bike or off road bike. There is no such thing as a general purpose bike so I have found that when suggesting bikes for people the best fit will be something they can use with friends or based on what their intended use will be. A tour of North America and Shadow would not be a good fit. If all your son's friends have sport bikes, a cruiser would not be a good fit. If all your son's friends have HD and are members of a cult club, a Japanese bike may not be appreciated.

These are well made cruisers that last a long time if maintained. They look great but are not fast or luxurious or good tourers. As a first bike they are reasonably inexpensive and easy to locate (if looking for a used bike which is what I would recommend). With a used bike, if it is not exactly the perfect fit as far as size, power, or purpose then they do hold their value well so the cost to switch is not prohibitive.

G.

#25 ·
Bought my ACE 750 in 2003 June. been on her since.. so 13 years.

I've had the big bike itch , I've gone out and tried everything from Harleys to indians.. I always end up back on my Ace. I don't know if it's just more comfortable , or maybe it's because I've been with it for so long that everything else feels foreign.

I'm 35 , 6'1" 240 lbs , and my ACE can carry me no problem all day at 110-130 kmph , when i'm on with my wife, 129lbs, I sometimes have to drop to 4th climbing a steep hill to maintain 110 kmph.

But overall , I like the look, feel and ride of my ACE. The bike is popular enough to have a decent slew of aftermarket parts, it's a simple bike to maintain and use.

Now i'm reaching, but with a little care and maintenance , I plan to give it to my son... or daughter depending who shows a hankering for motorcycles. By that time the bike will be around 26-30 years old.. I guess it's not a big thing , my first bike , CB750 Nighthawk, is as old as I am and it's still parked outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.