Honda Shadow Forums banner

Long time owner first time poster

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Aaron81 
#1 ·
Hello guys and gals, good to be in a place where people can recognize quality in their bikes :)
I have owned my old girl for a few years now and figured it was about time to branch out to the Shadow community and get some info, maybe a bit of advice from those in the know and those who have had the experience that I am yet to have and also to see the lovely machines that you guys have on offer to show and tell.
As my profile states I am a father and love to tinker and customize my bikes and cars but when I say customize it is more like personalizing as I don't like to go overboard just like to ad some tasteful mods while keeping the originality still somewhat intact.
My bike in question that brings me here is an older bike but still a beauty.
1986 Honda VT700C Shadow she has been cared for but the previous owner did some customizing of his own and although I dont mind some of it there is some that I dont like and would like to change around abit, but I will delve into that in another thread.

T.L.D.R
Happy to be here and you all ride sweets breeds of bikes :)
Thanks for having me

#6 ·
Welcome, Lets Ride!!!!

I too came to this forum in search of information (on exhaust swap & re-jetting a carb for a friend)...
After that re-jet/exhaust swap project, I visited often, got addicted, saw that I am "right at home here" and joined the madhouse...

Welcome,

D

#7 ·
Welcome, Aaron! A good many of the guys here, myself included, keep hanging around this forum even though we ride other brands now, simply because it's the best daggone forum anywhere.

#8 ·
welcome! Get some pics up!

#9 ·
Cheers for the friendly welcome and the pics are coming, in fact as I am typing this I am looking at how to post the pics u :)
I must confess this old stead is not the only beast in the shed but she is the oldest (not by much) and engine wise is the biggest,
but as I am sure we all know its not the size of the engine its how you utilize the power they produce :)

Attachments

#11 ·
Cheers mate, shes had a bit of work done as far as paint, head light and the gauges but since I took those pics I have been tinkering again :).
The paint is sweet but it is chipped around the edges and showing the dreaded sign of forming rust so I need to figure out if I am going to respray the lot or just hit the edges.
If I redo the paint job I will lose the wolf decals so I am not a fan of that option, and I am not as fit as I used to be keeping the shinny stuff sparkling is getting a bit on the difficult side so I am thinking of blacking it out (using a high gloss or the likes as I like the aspect of the shine as it helps people see me as they are bloody dangerous over here toward bike riders).
I am keeping the pipes as chrome as I am changing the silver fiberglass heat wrap with black heat wrap, so the mufflers with the silver on black will be a good match.
I have swapped the front and rear blinkers with smaller but brighter LEDs, I am in the process of blacking out the the crome colored plastic side covers and also in the process of relocating the fuse box from the front of the forks to the battery box as I am replacing the original battery with a Anti-Gravity battery and relocating the key turn ignition to the horn mounting bracket on the right hand side below the tank.
So she has a little more to go yet but slowly getting it :)

The main reason for the ignition and fuse box relocation is 1 to clean up the fork area as it looks messy with the box and bag there and 2 When I was moving the bike around I was doing the ye old method of spinning on the stand and tore my Vin plate off from the front of the forks so I am now trying to make sure this can not happen again.
For those who may not be familiar with "Stand Spinning" It is when you have the bike on the side stand grab the high end of the bars pull them toward you to balance the bike on the tip of its stands and slowly spin the bike.
Essentially you are spinning it around on the spot.

#13 ·
Sounds like you are doing a fine job of restoring that beauty. Side stand spinning is a new one to me. I don't have the courage to try that with 500 pounds balancing on a stick. LOL
By the way what is an anti-gravity battery???

#16 · (Edited)
Nice-looking ride. I like the green.

@swifty2014 I wondered about the antigravity batteries myself, had all kinds of sci-fi possibilities coming to mind, but here they are...
http://antigravitybatteries.com/our-batteries/

And I'd like to see a video of this "stand spinning".
Edit: there are a couple of videos on youtube...not a big deal, although the vids are made with relatively smaller bikes.

#17 ·
Nice-looking ride. I like the green.

@swifty2014 I wondered about the antigravity batteries myself, had all kinds of sci-fi possibilities coming to mind, but here they are...
http://antigravitybatteries.com/our-batteries/

And I'd like to see a video of this "stand spinning".
Edit: there are a couple of videos on youtube...not a big deal, although the vids are made with relatively smaller bikes.
I must admitt I too am quite fond of the green and the decals were done professionally although the paint work is a little on the rough side.

Yeah the side stand spin is relavtively easy when dealing with something like a 250 or 400 and I even found it to be a breeze with my old Dr650 Dakar but tell you what the old Shadow gets the ticker racing and arms pumping and thats just getting it to the tip of the stand, when trying to spin it around it becomes a little surreal lol.

I have been slowly making progress on the restoration/personalisation of this beauty but I am now at a bit of a stand still untill I can find someone more knowledgeable then myself (That shouldnt be hard) as I need some advice on wiring.
As I am sure you all know Honda went a little overboard with their wire amounts. I swear they had a share in a wire company lol

#19 ·
:) Yeah for some reason I am the first to admit that there is more that I can learn but I wont say it loud enough thast people can hear it properly and will flat out deny it if accused of it lol.
Nah its all good, the way I see it, if I have not learned or taught at least 1 thing throughout the day then I consider it to be a waste of a day :)

#23 ·
Speaking of very cool, mate your ride there shes a beaut hey. I am wanting to do similar as far as blacking out alot of the engine and covers. I like the look of the shiny but the upkeep is just too much to keep up with. So that is another job for the "to do" list that seems to be forever growing lol
I will update very shortly with a brand of the headlight, have to go for a little stroll down to the shed:smile2:

#24 ·
UPDATE Just thought I would give some extra details on the Headlight on The Green Wolf. The style/design in "Wave" and is a J&P Cycles headlight.
I have included the direct link for those who may be interested and at the price they are advertising here it is a steal especially when you take into
consideration when mine was bought it was around the AUD $500.00 mark.
It is a great headlight excellent vision on both low and high beam, fits well and is universal too........And NO I do not work for nor am I affiliated with J&P Cycles in any way shape or form :)
Here is the link
J&P Cycles® "Wave" Headlight Assembly | 3050115 | J&P Cycles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.