Honda Shadow Forums banner

84 vt500 shutting off

593 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  KaBob 
#1 ·
Overall the bike runs good but when im going up a long hill at highway speeds (55 mph or so) after a while it will start to die and eventually die if the hill is long enough.
Carbs are clean...coils?
once it shuts off it wont start right away...not sure if spark or fuel...only shut off once on me and now i avoid long hills.

#2 ·
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. If the fuel filter is restricted or pump is weak, it will starve the carbs when the demand is highest like on a long pull. To eliminate either fuel or spark, when it dies check for spark.

#3 ·
I had a similar problem on a '72 Sporty I used to have. It would run fine for about 15 minutes, and then sputter a little, and die. I couldn't restart it for at least 5 minutes, and then it would run a little more and die. The problem was the coil was cracked. As it would heat up, the crack would separate, and when it got far enough apart, no spark, so it would die. It wouldn't start until the coil cooled enough to get back close together so spark could get across. Might be what you're experiencing.

#8 ·
Float bowl setting a bit low maybe? I've had farm machinery that didn't like to work(full fuel demand) goin up hills for very long. The fuel in the bowl remains level raising the float and needle seat on the low side reducing fuel flow.
Next time it starts to sputter going UP hills, turn around and go down hill and see it starts runnin OK again.

We got some Long steep hills here in Tenn, Some times with carbed engines ya have to change direction and get machinery seting level again to keep or get em runnin...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.