Honda Shadow Forums banner

Long Time Dreamer... 1st Time Rider

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Fredericko Tiberio 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been "interested" in riding for a long time... but just now pulled the trigger. Only having rode a dirt bike for a weekend 28 years ago.... I opted to not go big time on the first bike. Went with a 1985 Honda Shadow VT500C. Probably should have went with at least a 750 since I am 6,2 and 220. But it was such a good deal and such a great looking bike I couldn't pass it up. I looked at a half dozen bikes up to $1,400 and they were all in bad shape. Most of them did not have working tail lights. For one reason or another they all looked far worse than the photos.
So by chance this guy responded 3 days after I had opted to hold off. I happened to be a mile away so I swung by. It followed me home shortly after.
I painted the side covers black to go with the frame and other coverings since the color was different than the tank and fender. The only thing I want to do is change out the seat. I will not be doing any 2 up on this bike and just do not like the backrest.
Saddle bags are not something I was looking for but, they do come in handy and they do give it a wider look.
Overall I am very happy with the bike and when I do upgrade for next season it will be an easy re-sale or perfect to hold on to.
I have some stuff to learn about for bike maintenance though so I picked up a book.
I think I should take it in for a once over too. I pulled a plug and though it looked fine I would dare say it has been in for a good long while.
I'm three weeks in and logged 450 miles so far. The one thing I noticed is that in stop and go traffic it seems to get hot enough for the fan to kick on. However, after stopping and shutting off to go in to the office or whatever, it may or may not run hot again in traffic and vis versa. I picked up a thermostat to put in. Seems the most likely cause. Also noticed it seems to act funny when it's hot, like I need to give it a little throttle to keep from stalling and then on acceleration it is a little laggy then takes off quick!.
I checked all fluids and all is well there and it had a fresh fluid change a week before purchase.
Anyway, enjoying it and looking forward to more of it. I am already putting funds aside to go for a Phantom.

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice bike and welcome to the forum.

Advice: if you are already thinking of trading up, save the money you would put into a seat and just leave this one as is. It maybe easier to resell with the original seat.

#6 ·
Nice looking bike and welcome to the forum.

The cooling fan coming on in traffic is normal, there is very little air flowing over the cooling fins in traffic. Even though these bikes are "water cooled" they are still air cooled for the most part, the water cooling is mainly to keep the motor from overheating in traffic. My $.02. I would be concerned if it came on while when not riding in traffic.

Happy riding,,,oh yeah,,,the Phantom is a great bike!!!

#7 ·
#14 ·
I noticed pretty much all bikes have both pipes ending past the front of the rear tire. One of the pipes on this VT500C end well before the rear wheel. Any input on that? I do know that at slow down there is a little backfire sound. I assume that the pipe is allowing this? Again any input on that would be great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.