Honda Shadow Forums banner

Engine Guard Bars

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Gnarly 
#1 ·
I ordered an engine guard bar for my 03 Shadow Spirit 750. Has to fit behind my radiator and this has proven to be a task. I'm to the point I want to give up. Does anyone know a good engine guard bar that fits well? Should I use a two piece?

#2 ·
I am not the most knowledgeable about various bars but I never heard of them mounting behind the radiator. Here is an example of the common mounting=

Attachments

#3 ·
I just installed some Baron's engine guards. They only bolt to the stock footpeg location and do not bolt anywhere by the radiator. If you check the September Ride of the Month thread, you can see some pics of it. And vote.:wink2:

#4 ·
@Shadowbear8:
Please post which bars you bought.
Someone here may have the same ones, installed.

-Gnarly

( once a subversive reactionary, ALWAYS a subversive reactionary. )

#5 ·
I've seen one that shares the top bolt with the radiator- never heard of an issue. Can you post a pic of where the problem is?
I really want to put bars on mine, but I've heard they can crowd the controls which doesn't sound fun since I wear clunky boots.

#11 ·
#12 ·
:wink2:

Lifetime Wealth will come to the person who invents highway bars that will work with forward controls.

:grin2:

#14 ·
That was why I bought the Barons instead of Lindby or Cobra...they were advertised that they work with forward controls...but my forward controls mount in the same spot as the bar, with the exact same width, so without bending or fabricating a bracket, there was no way that they would bolt up, so I removed the forward controls.

#15 ·
:frown2:

Without forward controls, I'd be doubled up like a crotchBike rider.:wink2:

Which would last only minutes, before Charlie Horse climbed on.

:surprise:

To the OP: best of luck with your bars.

#19 ·
A job like that is a good one for an extra set of hands. If you loosen the top radiator bolt you may be able to ease the ears in behind the radiator guard from the top. The Cobra bar for my spirit has a similar mount at the top, only rotated 90 degrees. It was a little bit of a pita to install with just one set of hands.

#21 ·
Well...I'm getting ready frustrated with this installation. Yes I need a second pair of hands to do this job. Question....Do the two lower bolts on each side of the radiator need to be taken off? Just trying to figure out how to get the top part of the bar behind the radiator. I might end up getting another bar that uses the existing top bolt to the radiator.

#26 ·
Luck, sir!

That project would be almost to simple.

All you've got to do is tap into your brake light, a ground wire and your running lights.

Conceal the wiring under the fender, making sure it can't rub the tire.

Then send us pix!

( if it was difficult, the Government would force them to sell only to licensed contractors, to keep them out of the hands of us dummies. )

~Gnarly

a classic example of the man yo mama warned you about, only with a twisted sense of Yuma.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.