Honda Shadow Forums banner

Hi again... why can't i post?

668 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mark-B 
#1 ·
I wanted to ask a question in the technical threads but it's not letting me, saying I don't have permission.. what do I need to do to have it? This is my second post..

I'm gonna try to sneak my question here: I wanted to ask how it's possible that the previous owner of my newly bought '85 vt700c would have a bolted on oil filter? I don't have experience with these external oil filters, let alone with this bolt, and this one isn't coming off.. shouldn't the filter for this bike simply be screwed on there by hand and not have a bolt? Guess I have to change the oil without changing the filter for now... that sucks..

#4 ·
i am new to my shadow but i am gunna take a shot at this. i saw in a video on youtube about the oil filter having a hex at the end of it so it is easier to take off. it is not threaded through the filter just there to ease in its removal. do you have a picture of said bolt?

#6 ·
^^^ ...Yup.. Some small engines have filters in places where you couldn't get a strap or filter wrench on them if you wanted to, so they weld or form those nuts on the top of the filter so you can more easily get at them with an open end, crescent or etc. wrench, instead.

Just treat it like any other filter, you don't have to use that nut to remove the thing. If you can get at it with a filter wrench, that will work as-well.. I definitely wouldn't change the oil without changing the filter though.. That would be a waste of clean oil.

Welcome to The Forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.