Well Howdy There (FNG) - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Well Howdy There (FNG)

Hi folks. I wanted to introduce myself. I picked up a heavily used and abused 2002 Honda Shadow 750 A.C.E. Deluxe in Black. I have ridden a Honda 125cc scooter for exactly five minutes and that was Sunday. I wrecked trying to do a uturn not knowing how difficult it was (i remember throttle in slow turns, but i gave it a LOT of throttle, oops). The bike wasn't damaged, my leg was only a little damaged, but the grin on my face was unbreakable. Now I have a Shadow and do my BRC course next week. I plan on picking up a Bell Qualifier and some boots and driving in circles in a local parking lot. Oh, and I need to learn how to work on bikes. It looks a hell of a lot easier to work on than my track cars, so I am not worried. Anyway,

I have a slew of things to fix which will be a combination of the FSM, you guys (search button, obviously), and my own intuition (I'm screwed). I have never owned or ridden a bike, really, and I have no idea what I am doing.

My list:

(cosmetic)Gas tank clear coat/ fender rust/ exhaust rust
Front fender crack
Rear fender rust

(Engine)
PO claimed it used to have a small oil leak that could come back from the left side below the fuel line
Arcing at the Aft cylinder head while running (yikes)
Choke won't stay out (put a office clip on it to hold it and take it off when the engine is warm)

(Electrical)
Inconsistent brake light function
Dead turn signals
Neutral light doesn't work
Engine cutoff with kickstand inconsistent

(Mechanical)
Sticky clutch lever
Stripped seat bolt
PO states handle bars slightly crooked after his first wreck when he first got it ten years ago

(Baseline)
Fluids
Brake pads
Drive chain

If I am missing anything feel free to let me know. It has a mustang seat with sissy bar and bitch seat and hard leather saddlebags with frame. I got it for 800. I was unsure when I first looked at it and then the PO turned it on for me. I giggled like a school girl. It sounds so righteous I felt like yelling "WITNESS ME!" and hopping on and bolting off into the sunset. Except I don't know how to ride it.

Anyways, hello everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:39 PM

Garage
Well Howdy There (FNG)

Do a search on this forum for the "Three Yellow Wires". This is about the stator plug that fails and can cause charging issues. If caught early, you can save your stator. If not, it will likely fry your stator and your bike will not charge the battery.

Also, unless you know exactly how old those tires are, 7 years is a general rule to change them out regardless of mileage or condition. You really don't want a tire blowing doing 60 mph!

A common problem for messed up turn signals is a dirty turn signal switch. It may just need a good cleaning.

You may want to look at installing a smaller rear sprocket assuming that the PO haven't already done that. Stock configuration is 17 tooth front and 41 tooth rear. A good rear that will give you less rpm's at highway speeds is 38 tooth.

Other than those small issues, these things are bullet proof. Ride it like you stole it!

Welcome to the forum!

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...1925D8337C.jpg

2002 750 ACE DELUXE: Sold
2003 BMW K1200GT
Ride Bell by Old Dad
Ride Bell by Gnarly
Ride Cross by "Captain D"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:42 PM

Garage
I see a bobber! Welcome!

Join the mission to end veteran suicide! Support Mission22

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:20 PM

Garage
Welcome aboard !

ride safe !

02 1100 shadow spirit
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. I went and tried on some helmets (not buying yet) and liked the Bell Vortex and some 707 helmet I don't recall. I came home and put on a bicycle helmet and just practiced rowing the gears in the driveway. I am used to manuals with my cars, but I tell ya what, the bike is a bit intimidating. I turn it on and get this stupid grin that is just impossible to hide, but I also feel the weight of the bike between my legs and have a huge appreciation for how careful I need to be. I let the clutch out in first to practice starting and giving gas and then immediately stop. I cannot get the bike in neutral at all. I sat there going back and forth over and over again and I just couldn't do it. I eventually gave up and rode the clutch up the driveway back into the garage. I figure I will pick up a lot of these things at the BRC next week, but I am really chomping at the bit here. I have wanted a bike my whole life and, well, now I am impatient. Don't judge.

I will have to look into the three yellow wires. I also need to grab new turn signal bulbs. The Turn signal switch is super gummy and hard to move so the dirty switch makes sense. I am used to hopping advance auto, o reilly, and autozone for working on my track car, but where do you go for bike parts? Same places? Also, the motorcycle shop I went to reminded me of bicycle shops. Stocked with a ton of expensive gear and you tell them your budget and needs and the first thing they hand you is 100 dollars over your maximum price you just mentioned five seconds ago.

Possibly tricky situation. The bike is past inspection (was sitting in friend's yard for over a year). So, I figure to get it inspected I need to take it somewhere. To feel comfortable riding it, however, I feel I need to practice on it. I can't register it until it is inspected. I have 30 days. The friend who sold it to me lives quite far out and I don't know anyone else who can take it to get inspected. So, I am nervous to take it out. Feels like a pickle. Looks like I will do one hundred passes in my neighborhood until I can drum up the courage to get it to the inspection place.

Last edited by TequilaSqueela; 01-11-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added words
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS761 View Post
I see a bobber! Welcome!
I'll repeat the welcome,,but seeing a bobber,,nah, unfortunately that is not what I see in my crystal ball.

Dude don't ride that thing till you pass your class.(saying this with your safety in mind)

2006 vlx
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old dad View Post

Dude don't ride that thing till you pass your class.(saying this with your safety in mind)
Welcome aboard ! Not to be a downer , but @old dad ^^^^above^^^^ is right.

Take your time and do it right and it will be a lifetime of fun. You can get your license thru Motorcycle Safety Course near you somewhere. They in most places have smaller bikes to teach with, comes with the licensing course. The outfit is Motorcycle Safety Foundation (nfs-USA.org). Set up exactly for guys like us so we don't wreck nice bikes.

I highly recommend you go that route. Gets you discount on insurance too. Meet folks that can tell you better places to look for parts , etc.

Online is also a big one. search thru these blogs.

Major knowledge in these blogs.

Best of luck.
Ride Safe .

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.

Last edited by Sundown; 01-11-2017 at 08:21 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:01 PM

Garage
Everything previously stated is correct and spot on. Good luck with your course next week, and welcome to the forum. That's a good looking bike.

- Ride Safe!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 AM

Garage
Slow speed calls for small throttle and some clutch friction and brake friction.

Watch as many videos you can on slow speed maneuvers and control=

This one makes me crazy !!!

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:48 PM

Garage
Welcome to HSN. Congratulations on getting your Shadow! I just got mine last July and love riding it! The folks on this forum are full of geat advice, and the knowladge bank here is endless. They really know their stuff. I've had to do a bit of work on mine as well and never fail to find information and advice here that helps with doing it myself. Currently I'm looking into upgrading my lighting to LED bulbs. Mostly because people are blind and those bright lights will make me stand out better. Be visable and take it slow to start out with, you'll catch on pretty quick. These bike are easy to handle with their low center of gravity. FYI, I put around four thousand miles on mine last summer, rode every chance I got, and still giggle like a school girl when I get on the road and roll the throttle back. I love that feeling!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160804_110714.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	193922  

Ride on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page