Copper wrapping experiment on the Phantom - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Copper wrapping experiment on the Phantom

I'm still waiting for the corrected title for my bike to arrive from VA so I can register it, and there is snow all over the ground, so I decided to try a mod that was 100% reversible. I got some satin copper chrome vinyl wrap and tried wrapping the parts of the phantom that are bright silver.

The shape of the plastic valve cover covers won't let me wrap them with one piece. I'm trying to decide between using a few pieces to wrap them in full, or leaving the center peice wrapped and painting the outer parts a darker silver to match the fork covers.

The wrap process is not hard, but it is a royal pain to stretch, smooth, heat, pull, trim, etc. the vinyl over the pieces. This stuff is designed for wrapping bigger surfaces, like car body panels, not such tight fiddly ones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Looks good, very distinctive.

2006 vlx , gone but never will forget it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:04 AM

Garage
Looks good, what else are you wrapping

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2014 Honda Shadow Phantom
Every Day Above Ground Is A good Day

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:09 AM

Garage
I am loving where this is going, gives it a very Steampunk look which is rad! I would say keep going, wrap all that matte grey stuff and then you'll need to decide what to do with the chrome, either make it flat black or copper it too, I would say wrap the pipes in black wrap and copper the other chrome parts (mirrors and gas tank cap).

I love it!

where did you buy this stuff?

"Eve" my 2013 Phantom
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

My mirrors are already black, and I don't think the sliding keyhole cover on the cap would work with a wrap. I'm probably going to wrap the front ring on the headlight bucket, and possibly the turn signals, but I'm being careful as it is easy to cross the line from "cool detail" to "campy excess" without realizing it.

I bought it on ebay, it is VViViD8 satin copper chrome. I bought two 1' x 5' strips and it was about $28 shipped. Spend the money and buy a name brand like 3M, VViViD8, etc. I tried some of the no-name wrap on a non-bike project, and it was nearly impossible to work with on anything but a completely flat surface.

This is actually my second time doing wrapping on a bike. I had wrapped my first bike completely, it make a $650 beater bike look a lot better (this was 3m satin copper, which isn't a chrome copper).

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:20 PM

Was your first bike a GS500?

Looks like you're pretty good at working with vinyl!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidejam View Post
Was your first bike a GS500?

Looks like you're pretty good at working with vinyl!
Yep, a '96. It was good bike, but the slightly hunched posture was hell on my wrists. I was already thinking about replacing it when I leaned too far over cornering at slow speeds in a parking lot on new tires and low-sided the bike, breaking my collar bone. The bike was totaled because it was worth so little. Now that the collar bone is healed I picked up the Phantom to get back into riding.

I'm okay at the basics of wrapping, but not so great at getting the little details right, and that is where a quality wrap job really shines. But they look good enough for me.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbcat View Post
My mirrors are already black, and I don't think the sliding keyhole cover on the cap would work with a wrap. I'm probably going to wrap the front ring on the headlight bucket, and possibly the turn signals, but I'm being careful as it is easy to cross the line from "cool detail" to "campy excess" without realizing it.

I bought it on ebay, it is VViViD8 satin copper chrome. I bought two 1' x 5' strips and it was about $28 shipped. Spend the money and buy a name brand like 3M, VViViD8, etc. I tried some of the no-name wrap on a non-bike project, and it was nearly impossible to work with on anything but a completely flat surface.

This is actually my second time doing wrapping on a bike. I had wrapped my first bike completely, it make a $650 beater bike look a lot better (this was 3m satin copper, which isn't a chrome copper).

How much heat can that stuff handle ? Looks pretty neat.

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbcat View Post
don't care too much for that one, just my opinion

"Eve" my 2013 Phantom
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
How much heat can that stuff handle ? Looks pretty neat.
It is essentially a fancy sticker, so about the same. I never had a problem with heat-related issues on that bike, but heat is what helps get it off when you do want to remove it, and it does soften the vinyl, so it would all depend on exactly where it was placed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page