Motorcycle Helmet - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Motorcycle Helmet

I am new to the motorcycle world and was wondering what kind of helmet would be good for a first timer learning the ropes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:20 PM

Garage
I would say it's a question of if you want to start with an open face or full face.
I am a new rider (a few weeks now) and started with the BELL 500 and its a excellent open face helmet
I am considering the Scorpion 510, I think it is a great value for the $

That is where I am at after trying a lot on at the shop, reading a lot on the forums, and watching lots of reviews on Revzilla

"Eve" my 2013 Phantom
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:31 PM

Garage
I bought not very expensive Modular and I really like the easy to get on and off feature of a modular. Still can open the shield for venting, etc. Many people buy the most expensive they can so it is up to you and your budget.
I also have a 3/4 helmet that is nicer on hot days but you loose some protection for your face.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:00 PM

No expert here, but here is what I know from my research when I started riding recently.

That is an image of the distribution of damage found on helmets after crashes in a study done by Dietmar Otte of the Hannover Medical University, Department of Traffic Accident Research in Germany. Note that almost 35% of that damage is on the chin bar. So if you wear an open-face you're giving up protection from 1/3 of impacts.

I personally use a Modular because getting a regular full-face helmet on with glasses is a major pain. You give up a little safety, because the flip-up chin bar is an added failure point one-piece helmets don't have. However, it is a trade-off I'm willing to take for the convenience.

Whether you get a one-piece full face or a modular, consider one with a built in sun visor like the one above. You can go from shaded to unshaded vision by flipping a lever on the side of the helmet, instead of having to stop, raise your visor and put on or remove sunglasses.

Make sure you try on any helmet before you buy it, It isn't just about size, the shape of some helmets fit some heads better. When I went helmet shopping I had one specific brand & style in mind that had gotten great reviews, but when I put it on it felt like it was squeezing my head front & back. Another brand's helmet in the same size didn't do that.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:39 PM

Garage
That is the same helmet I have and for the price I feel it is a good choice. Fit is good. Same thought about wearing glasses too.
I often wonder if in a spill, will a $600.00 helmet protect many times better than a $100.00 helmet ???
I know the old saying "you get what you pay for".

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:41 PM

Garage
I've always liked Shoei. I currently use the RF 1200. The fit is snug-makes me feel confident as well as safe and protected. I added a Sena Bluetooth system recently and don't know how I could have lived without this for so long!!
Come summertime when it is excessively hot and humid, I switch to a DOT approved "half helmet" to avoid overheating. With a half helmet I always wear construction site type ear plugs. Without them I lose equilibrium and lose my connection to the engine due to the high pitched screaming wind. This isn't a problem with full face and even 3/4 helmets. I only recommend ear plugs if ears will be exposed to the wind.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:44 PM

I have a FF, a 3/4 and a Modular.. They all have their charms.. I usually use a FF Dual sport lid these days - more for the peak, which is awesome when it comes to blocking the sun (think baseball cap).. I find a peak much more useful than a visor, though the drop-down visor in my Modular is pretty-nice too.

Just decide what you want out of a lid and go try some on..

I know the fashion is to buy online these days, but - and especially with the more economically priced lids - if they don't fit right - they are likely going to be uncomfortable after a while, and to a point where you will eventually stop wearing it. Going to a store they can usually measure you, and help you choose the better helmet for the type of riding you do, as well. Certain brands of helmets fit different shaped heads better - some helmets are designed to be more aerodynamic in certain riding positions (for example)..

Prize comfort over protection. They'll all protect to roughly the same degree..

Mostly it will come down to fit and good ventilation.

You tend to pay bigger bucks for "as good protection" with a lighter weight. Or better venting. Or lower noise. Or better aerodynamics etc..

If you must shop online, try Revzilla. They almost expect you to return a product - free - super nice about it too. I spent ten minutes just talking bike with a guy down there during a return one time - pretty-much at his insistence!

Welcome to The Forum!

Family, Friends, Love and Life..
Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

C u r r e n t ... S c o o t s:
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - 2015 Triumph Tiger XCX
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:54 PM

I'm a full face guy having landed on my face in re-entry after a misguided attempt at free flight over a Pontiac station wagon in 1980. I bless Shoei and their full face helmet for the fortunate outcome that day.

In regard to glasses and full face helmets, I got some strange looks when I was picking out frames the last time I had my prescription updated. I carried my helmet into the shop and put it on to test whether or not the frames I liked would be a problem with my helmet.

My personal view on price is that helmets are much like anything else. The bottom of the price ranges is usually not worth buying. Generally speaking, once you get into the lower mid-range pricing they are likely to be up to the job they are designed and rated for. I'm not convinced that above mid-range pricing is significantly safer, but they do have some elements of comfort and high tech features that you just won't find in a lower priced option.

Fit is critical. They are like shoes...the best in the world are no good if they don't fit. Fit would be the biggest reason I would have for spending more if that's what it takes. That said, the most comfortable helmet I have is a cheap Bilt full face that I picked up on sale as a spare. Price is no promise of comfort.

"The Edge...there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." ~ Hunter S. Thompson
Anger and worry are the two greatest wastes of time known to man. Aside from television, of course.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:58 PM

Garage
This is the last of five I own and my favorite to put on with glasses,the built in sun shade is great.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:10 PM

I purchased a full-face modular helmet. I love the fit and the ability to just raise the face cover when sitting at a red light.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page