Honda Shadow Forums banner

Hello from Ontario

858 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  bd* 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to jump in an introduce myself. I'm fairly new to riding, so I still have lots to learn. I've toyed with dirt bikes for the last couple of years and have decided to take my chances on the open road.

I've been a musician most of my life, recently finding a new passion and love for fabrication and the art of welding. I'm a DIY'er and enjoy challenges.

In November I picked up an '85 VT500C with a little under 32,000km for $600. Tires are brand new, that's about it. It came home and went under a cover until now. The plan was/is to have it on the road for the spring, but I haven't been able to pull the tarp off it till 2 days ago. Honestly its a 50/50 chance this bike could be completely toast, I never even tried to start it. I checked the gears, they all clicked. Found neutral so I was happy. Checked the drive shaft for leaks or signs tampering, looked good. Tank had a few small dents. Low KM. Engine case looked clean, no cracks leaks or any other signs of high mileage or misuse. Mufflers were rotten right to the headers. I think something was living in the CAT. There were also a lot of maple leaves. More then one would expect to find stuffed into every orifice of the bike. So ya basically I bought a bike knowing full well I may have a little work to come.

IM HERE TO ASK QUESTIONS!!!! Also meet other riders too!

See less See more
#5 ·
Welcome to the forum. Hope it is a keeper.
Pull the plugs and put some ATF into the cylinders and put it in 3rd gear and try to roll and move the engine to at least know if it CAN turn over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.