oil change on my bike - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

oil change on my bike

I use this method see if you agree bike is cold i drain the oil and filter change but fill the oil filter with a little oil

this way all the dirty oil comes out or if its cold you may want to let it sit in the sun.

i use 2 quarts 20/50 1 quart 10/40 in summer 20/50 is kawasaki oil non synthetic and gn4 honda 10/40
non synthetic

I believe to change the oil every 2000 miles and change the filter as well and synthectic just is no good for my bike makes the clutch slip I am sure it is bad for all but who am I to say .

wet clutch bikes should stay with non synthetic unless you do not mind paying for a clutch

I know the dealer says its ok to use synthetic but will they pay for your clutch lol

be safe change your oil freq and every bike is different on levels put in 2.5 quarts and a lttle in filter start it up run for 2 minutes shut off wait 10 minutes then level bike with wood or whatever you got
then check level after it sat and screw in the stick if you have a window you should see it 3/4 full in glass

do not put mystery oil in oil gas is ok not in oil do not use car oil unless it is an emergency

i think no additives in oil is best 10/40 in cool weather 10 /30 in winter if your crazy enough to drive it or start it up at times

but lucas in gas is ok just a small amount mystery oil is good an ounce to a full tank and marine stable if it going to sit plus remember to keep the tank full so condensation does not get in there.

if you use mystery oil you will see better gas mileage easy starts and cooler running bike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:28 PM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
And I do as MOM suggests>
Warm the oil to allow it to mix any trash that may be lurking inside, Drain, refill...

There`s just something about them Motorcycle Owners Manuals I trust...

Yes, I`ve changed oil cold too...
I wait until 5,000 miles though MOM it can go 8,000

To each His/Her Own method I reckon...
I`m not disagreeing,
D

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Captain D" View Post
And I do as MOM suggests>
Warm the oil to allow it to mix any trash that may be lurking inside, Drain, refill...

There`s just something about them Motorcycle Owners Manuals I trust...

Yes, I`ve changed oil cold too...
I wait until 5,000 miles though MOM it can go 8,000

To each His/Her Own method I reckon...
I`m not disagreeing,
D
I've always changed all my vehicle oils while warm . . . at times a little too warm.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 PM

i can't change my oil every 2000 miles... that would mean a monthly oil change... and that gets costly...
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:00 PM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
If you ride you maintain or things will fall apart...

Yeah @149,000 coming up this week, I`ll be changing oil this month @150,000 most likely

We ride Year round,
D

Last edited by "Captain D"; 04-18-2017 at 02:17 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:28 PM

Garage
"then check level after it sat and screw in the stick if you have a window you should see it 3/4 full in glass "

The manual usually tells us not to screw in the dipstick. That could give you a false reading, maybe a 1/2 quart difference.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow2017 spirit 750c 07 View Post
I use this method see if you agree bike is cold i drain the oil and filter change but fill the oil filter with a little oil

this way all the dirty oil comes out or if its cold you may want to let it sit in the sun.

i use 2 quarts 20/50 1 quart 10/40 in summer 20/50 is kawasaki oil non synthetic and gn4 honda 10/40
non synthetic

I believe to change the oil every 2000 miles and change the filter as well and synthectic just is no good for my bike makes the clutch slip I am sure it is bad for all but who am I to say .

wet clutch bikes should stay with non synthetic unless you do not mind paying for a clutch

I know the dealer says its ok to use synthetic but will they pay for your clutch lol

be safe change your oil freq and every bike is different on levels put in 2.5 quarts and a lttle in filter start it up run for 2 minutes shut off wait 10 minutes then level bike with wood or whatever you got
then check level after it sat and screw in the stick if you have a window you should see it 3/4 full in glass

do not put mystery oil in oil gas is ok not in oil do not use car oil unless it is an emergency

i think no additives in oil is best 10/40 in cool weather 10 /30 in winter if your crazy enough to drive it or start it up at times

but lucas in gas is ok just a small amount mystery oil is good an ounce to a full tank and marine stable if it going to sit plus remember to keep the tank full so condensation does not get in there.

if you use mystery oil you will see better gas mileage easy starts and cooler running bike
As long as the Synthetic oil has a Jaso rating it will be fine for wet clutches. Changing oil every 2,000 miles is a huge waste of a valuable commodity. Why do you mix oils? That makes no sense if you are doing it on purpose.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:08 PM

Garage
oil change on my bike

Your putting way too much thought into it. A 2000 mile oil change only cost you more money and it is terrible on the environment. With the advances in oil and filters these days, 5000 miles is perfectly fine. I wouldn't ever mix different viscosities either. You mention not using "car oil", just use an oil with a JASO rating. The oil I use is Rotella T6. It is actually a Diesel engine oil. Works great with wet clutches. It is full synthetic. Synthetic oil will not ruin your clutch as long as it is JASO. No need to put that much thought into an oil change. Follow MOM (Manufactures Owners Manual) and your bike will give you years and years of great service.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...turner/154.jpg

2002 750 ACE DELUXE: Sold
2003 BMW K1200GT
Ride Bell by Old Dad
Ride Bell by Gnarly
Ride Cross by "Captain D"

Last edited by Scared; 04-19-2017 at 08:53 AM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared View Post
Your putting way too much thought into it. A 2000 mile oil change only cost you more money and it is terrible on the environment. With the advances in oil and filters these days, 5000 miles is perfectly fine. I wouldn't ever mix different viscosities either. You mention not using "car oil", just use an oil with a JASO rating. The oil I use is Rotella T6. It is actually a Diesel engine oil. Works great with wet clutches. It is full synthetic. Synthetic oil will not ruin your clutch as long as it is JASO. No need to put that much though into an oil change. Follow MOM (Manufactures Owners Manual) and your bike will give you years and years of great service.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...turner/154.jpg
Yep, he is right. The environment doesn't need any help with excess waste anyway.
5-8000miles on Rotelka T6 is cheap and easy.
Just out of curiosity how many miles a year do you ride?

Ride Bell By OldDad
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:11 PM

Just out of curiosity how many miles a year do you ride?
>>>> Quote

10,000 is one mileage I have logged in a year

Help me divide though >
I bought my Baby in Nov of 2007, I`ve put nearly 109,000 miles on it...
So IF I divide 9 years into 109,000 I get Quite a Bunch as an average per year

Ain`t smart enuff fer numbers,
D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page