Honda Shadow Forums banner

New member, 2001 Sabre

950 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  casey1243 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I've been lurking for a few weeks and pretty much did a full tune up on my first cruiser from these forums. For some reason photobucket won't let me register on my phone so I will have to post a picture later.

I live in Ohio and just bought a 2001 Sabre with 19k miles. I got it for what seemed like a good deal and have read great things about the shadows from this era.

I had a Honda CBR 600 F3 and a 954RR about 10 years ago. I am older and wiser (and more brittle) so I decided it was time to try a cruiser. I didn't want to spend much on my first one, since I figured I may run into trouble on slow speed maneuvering and didn't want to ding up anything too fancy.

Anyway thanks to those who have posted all the great advice.... and nice to meet you. :smile2:

Nate

#5 ·
Welcome to the Forum! The Sabre is a great choice. Considered the Street Rod of the lineup, it lives up to reputation. It pulls well off the line or rolling on the throttle on the highway. With the dual pin crankshaft, it's very smooth as well. I have an '02 and enjoy it. I will say the stock exhaust system (which I still have) is too quiet. With a helmet on, it's nearly impossible to hear the motor, and when in traffic with other ambient noise, shifting by ear can be troublesome. I'd suggest you consider an exhaust change if your bike hasn't already had one.

Regarding slow maneuvering, the Sabre takes some getting used to. I think it's the weight of the cast wheels that makes the bike feel heavy. In reality, it weighs about 75lbs less than my Aero, but the Aero feels like a feather and handles easily. Just look at the spot you want to be in when slow maneuvering. Don't look elsewhere. When laying the bike over in a turn, counter steer. If you have access to a clear parking lot, practice making turns at low speed. Start off by an easy slalom, and then work your way up to slightly higher speed and tighter turns. After you get used to the feel of the bike, start making circles. I didn't ride for about 27 years, and thought I'd just get back on a bike and go. As it turns out, I had to re-educate myself.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.