Honda Shadow Forums banner

Bought from a friend, starting to regret

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  "Captain D" 
#1 ·
Good morning, all. I recently purchased a 2004 Shadow Spirit 1100 from a friend who was looking to unload it. I didn't do any research. I also didn't know how much work it needed. At any rate, it's my bike now. I took it to the local metric bike shop for a once over only to have the tech proceed to tell me that he's "never seen a Shadow that runs clean". I'm no mechanic, but he said this in the context of having to clean out the carburetor. I do notice that the bike is sluggish when starting from a dead stop in 1st gear, but it seems to run OK otherwise.

I guess I'm hoping to get some advice on things I can do to ensure the bike is running optimally and possibly capable of a safe, weekend road trip without spending too much more money on it. The bike appears to be stock with no after-market parts. As I said, I'm no mechanic, but I feel comfortable with minor things like changing the oil and spark plugs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I welcome you @JustMike ...
Some folks run a few treatments of SeaFoam or BerryMans through the fuel tank for a better running Bike which a "tech" said the carbs need cleaning...
Many report back that was all the cleaning the carbs needed...
Welcome,
D

#3 · (Edited)
Yep. The fellow I got my 1100 from had gone through it and replaced all the fluids, jetted to match the pipes, tuned, etc.. However, the bike sat mostly over the summer and when he rode it back and forth to work he never got it to highway speeds. Then it sat some more.

When I got it the bike was a snarling beasty around town, but when I would take it out and head up to the 65-75 mph range the bike would kick, cut, and act up. You could rack down on the throttle and it would kick in and go above 75 mph. But in that zone it sucked.

I ended up running Seafoam through it for several tanks, but could only get a few miles out of town and back to hit the rough zone due to weather and time. However, when I finally did get out of town for an hour or two I was running a back road and at one point noticed I was running in the 65-75 mph range with no issues. Funny though, try to go above that now and it argues. No worries, I have no need to be running over 80. As long as it will cruise local highway speeds cleanly which are 70 and 75 mph that's good.

Ethanol gas has a short life sitting before it starts to breakdown. Let a bike sit long with that stuff in it and no stabilizer, it's gonna get some gunk somewhere. Try the Seafoam. I've become a big believer in it. I also know several folks who use it and swear by it. One is a railroad maintenance and repair supervisor on a crew. He loves the stuff and they use it in all their heavy gear.

#4 ·
Welcome to the group..lot of wise, mechanically inclined people here....but not me,lol. Seems Seafoam is the trick for everything....lights not working, throw in some Seafoam,lol But seriously, many swear by it to help clean out the carbs....seems some follow the instructions on the bottle, others throw half a bottle......some throw it in on a monthly basis.....Gl

#5 ·
The first thing I would do is not take it to that shop anymore. He either doesn't know what he's talking about or he doesn't like Honda's. It's great bike and it does sound like it needs a carb cleaning. Dirty carbs have nothing to do with what bike. It's about how often the bike is ridden.

#6 ·
Not sure what the tech was talking about but that's the vaguest diagnostics I have heard so I would look for another shop or ask what that specifically meant. Compared to a lot of bikes, the VT1100 is fairly sluggish off a light, its just the nature the VT1100. It is possible that your idle speed has been set too low. I see a lot of that from riders who are trying to get a low idle rumble sound. My suggestion is to look for your Throttle Stop screw and turn up the idle a bit and see if that helps.

G.

#7 ·
@JustMike says >> I took it to the local metric bike shop for a once over only to have the tech proceed to tell me that he's "never seen a Shadow that runs clean".
..............................................................................................................&
I do notice that the bike is sluggish when starting from a dead stop in 1st gear, but it seems to run OK otherwise. UNQUOTE==>>>

I`d ride it a spell, list any problems you MAY or MAY NOT encounter...
Lets you learn your Bike & our Gurus guide you, insteadda using that "Bike Shop"..................... ;)

We got experience talking when our Gurus get on it,
D

Lets RIDE
:D:D

#8 · (Edited)
@JustMike says >> I took it to the local metric bike shop for a once over only to have the tech proceed to tell me that he's "never seen a Shadow that runs clean".
..............................................................................................................&
I do notice that the bike is sluggish when starting from a dead stop in 1st gear, but it seems to run OK otherwise. UNQUOTE==>>>

I`d ride it a spell, list any problems you MAY or MAY NOT encounter...
Lets you learn your Bike & our Gurus guide you, insteadda using that "Bike Shop"..................... ;)

We got experience talking when our Gurus get on it,
D

Lets RIDE
:D:D
^^^Yup. ^^^^

Forget the mechanic with an attitude.
Put a little SeaFoam in the tank couple times , in some instances that stuff is amazing.
Get used to it's habits , like women , every bike is a little different.

#9 ·
UNPREDICTABLE!!!
Them Women are!!!
I once opened a book entitled, "Everything Men understand about women", It had Blank pages :D

And to quote from this weeks forums, God asked, "How many lanes would you like on that bridge??"

But Yeah, we can,
D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.