Honda Shadow Forums banner

Clutch problem 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jpr1968 
#1 ·
Hydraulic clutch pressure good. Clutch lever shifts into gear when engaging clutch lever and bike keeps running like in neutral but bike wont move.

#2 ·
How old is the fluid in your clutch? Its the first thing I would look at. I have an 83 magna and had a heck of a time getting the clutch slave bled. I found that even when it had pretty good feel at the lever it was still not moving the slave cylinder. If I had to do it over I would pull the slave cylinder and clamp the piston in place with a c-clamp.

Only thing I can think of.

#3 ·
It’s difficult to diagnose the cause without knowing something about the bike. A clutch doesn’t usually loose all friction all at once.
Did the problem occur suddenly?

The first thing I would do is put it on the center stand with the engine off.
Shift gears while turning the wheel by hand and listen for anything not normal. The driveshaft could be broken or the splines stripped.

#4 ·
beerman91 said:
Hydraulic clutch pressure good. Clutch lever shifts into gear when engaging clutch lever and bike keeps running like in neutral but bike wont move.
When you say clutch lever shifts into gear, do you mean gear shift lever?
With the bike off shift to the bike into 1st gear, then see if you can push the bike. If you can push the bike you have clutch issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.