Missouri House Endorsed 'No Helmet' Law - Page 4 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theja1 View Post
Which is why I have great disability insurance as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
That's very good to hear.
Most people don't...

(Of course, hopefully, it'll never be needed.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 04:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
I never said helmets don't protect. States are using faulty, directed studies to justify helmet laws. I wonder if there was ever a study done on fractures necks due to helmets.
I think states, like with seatbelts, made the law to protect people from themselves. They really don't need stats to prove a helmet is safer than no helmet in my opinion...again it's common sense. People argue that seatbelts should be choice, not law. If every action that only effected a single person (theoretically) was not illegal...then drugs, suicide, helmets, seatbelts, etc and so on would have to be legal. But part of governments job is to protect, I'm sorry, dumb people from themselves. Because when you think it should be a choice because it's a victimless crime...they usually effect more than just yourself. Getting way too political now so I'm out...

post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 12:43 AM

Well this thread went as predicted.

That link is from 2013. The bill passed. One of two times it passed recently. The governor vetoed it (A passed bill is not a law until it's signed). Unsure if there was an attempt to override the veto but likely not enough of a supermajority to do so anyway.

It's a dance that happens when a seat comes up. Congresspersons throw up a bill to appease a lobby or group of voters they they know full well won't become a law. Gov. Nixon has promised to veto any law that allows riders to go helmet-less. Period. So while the current governor is in office any bill doing the same is simply a waste of our time as taxpayers. Just fluff to get in the news.

Interestingly, both times this was originally going on I saw helmet-less riders in my area. Probably heard on the news a headline to the effect of "House passes bill allowing..." and, since they didn't pay attention in the 3rd grade; they thought that meant they can go without their helmet! (For a refresher; first passes House, then has to pass Senate. Then on Governors desk to be signed, vetoed, or ignored. Signed, it becomes law. Vetoed, it can go back for a vote and if it passes both houses by 2/3rds it becomes a law without the need for the Governors signature. So don't get too excited when the headlines exclaim that the bill passes the House. It probably will again and again and again. But it won't get past our current Governors desk).

Last edited by Romans5.8; 05-04-2015 at 12:46 AM.

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 08:47 AM

One thing I've never understood is how my neighbor can get on his 50cc scooter and head to the store with no helmet, no motorcycle license, no insurance and no tag, but if I take my motorcycle to the same store I have to have all the before mentioned items. Now I understand the license, ins, and tags but he can run all around town without a helmet why shouldn't I be able too? Is it not just as dangerous for him? I would think more so, his scooter is smaller thus making him less visible. And one mite say well he can only go 30, but yet he's going down the same road I am that is marked 45 mph.
Anyway, I am a helmet wearer, but I would like to just be able to run up to the parts store without it if I so desired. But yea, this all is probably a moot point.

Great verse Romans5.8 BTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page