Olympia Dakar 2 Jacket/ Moto 2 Pants Review - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Model: VT750CA Aero
Year: 2007
Garage
Cool Olympia Dakar 2 Jacket/ Moto 2 Pants Review

The wife has been after me to get some decent riding gear so I told everyone to get me gift certificates from Revzilla for Xmas and my birthday. I finally had enough cards to buy the following:

Olympia Dakar 2 Jacket ( https://olympiamotosports.com/en-US/...s-fatigue-grey )
Olympia Moto 2 Pants ( https://olympiamotosports.com/en-US/...oto-2-30-black )

Lets start with the jacket. This is a three/four season jacket (depending on where you live) with two removable layers. A water proof layer that can be worn under, or over the main jacket, (Bonus!!! It can also be worn as a separate waterproof jacket!) and a thermal layer that looks like it will be really warm. The base jacket has mesh everywhere! Riding with I swear you would think the thing has built in fans! So far I have ridden at temps of 88 degrees and high humidity and stayed cool.

The base jacket also has removable and upgradeable CE approved articulated elbow, shoulder and back pads and the outer shell is 500 denier Cordura fabric.

There are a total of 8 Pockets on the jacket: Two large lower front pockets with flaps, two smaller side "hand warmer" pockets, two chest pockets that also double as extra air vents when opened, an inner pocket and last the large flap covered map pocket on the rear of the jacket. All the pockets are waterproof!

The rain jacket comes with a built in hood and neck gator.

The Moto 2 pants
I got the Moto 2 pants because they were the only pants I could find (or afford) that had pretty good slide protection in the form of 2000 Denier Cordura fabric on the butt, hips and knees in addition to removable, adjustable and upgradeable CE approved knee armor and hip pads. They also have ankle to hip zippers and I can easily get them on with my boots on. These pants have two HUGE panels that can be unzipped on the front of the legs to expose mesh panels. Even with my wind shield, there was a noticeable amount of air flow in the pants. Now when the temps get into the 90's with 90% humidity, I probable will not wear the pants as they will be pretty hot.

Like the jacket there is a removable water proof liner that can be worn over or under the pants. There is no thermal liner but that is what long johns are for.

How do they work in the rain? Well I purposefully rode in to work yesterday knowing it was going to rain. I had the jacket and pants rain liners in the saddle bags and sure enough on the way home I ran into a thunder storm on the interstate. I pulled off under an over pass and 5 minutes later had donned the rain gear. I wore it on the outside to keep the jacket and pants from getting wet and dirty.

A mile later the storm hit. It was raining so hard that getting wet was the least of my worries! Traffic slowed to 35mph as you could not see 50 feet in front of you. Thankfully I had Rain X on my visor and windshield.
I got trapped behind two 18 wheelers. With the spray from them, and the down pour of rain, the gear got quite the workout.
With the exception of my hands (forgot to wear my water proof gloves) NOTHING got wet! I had water coming in around my face shield but that was due to me having it cracked to prevent fogging. I was totally impressed with the gears performance. The heavy rain lasted about 12 minutes then just stopped leaving wet roads for the rest of the drive home. Now I don't know how well it would handle an all day rain but I will update this thread if I ever have the opportunity to test that.

I will update this thread as the temps continue to climb to let you guys know how they do in the heat of summer and if I find anything I don't like about them.

Trinity my 2007 Honda Shadow Aero
1971 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser

I'm nobodies slave, I'm nobodies master,
Time is mine, morning, night, and afternoon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 11:14 AM

Nice write up!
I want pants, but am too cheap!

Ride Bell By The Bride and Canyon
Retired bell by Old Dad
2 time BOTM winner
06 VTX Glide & 05 ST1300
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Until I got these, every time I rode I kept seeing that image someone posted showing a guys butt that was ripped to shreds from sliding down the interstate.

I have always worn gloves and at least a long sleeved jacket when I ride, but I feel a lot better knowing that if I do go for a slide now, at least if I survive the initial impact, my skin should be intact!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post
Until I got these, every time I rode I kept seeing that image someone posted showing a guys butt that was ripped to shreds from sliding down the interstate.

I have always worn gloves and at least a long sleeved jacket when I ride, but I feel a lot better knowing that if I do go for a slide now, at least if I survive the initial impact, my skin should be intact!
I've got 3 spots on my legs where it burned thru my pants. They never did heal properly. Luckily my butt came out ok.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
High temp, High humidity update:

I have now worn the jacket and pants in a 96 degree, high humidity situation.

Jacket: Does fine as long as you are moving above 25 mph. This jacket breathes extremely well. Stopped at a light and you get hot fast!
Pants: I could only stand them up to about 90. After that, they were simply too hot!

Water proof liners
Have ridden several times now in the rain and all I can say is both the pants and the jacket are completely water proof. You roast if you wear them on those days where it gets on the 90's and then comes a brief thunder storm. Being waterproof means no air flow.

When fall gets here I will update again on the thermal jacket liner.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry for my long absence. Life got in the way and I simply had no spare time to come here and chat!

Winter update:
I have ridden in temps down to 20 degrees with this setup.
Here is what I wear:
Lower Body: Fleece lined jeans or long johns and regular jeans, Moto 2 pants with the waterproof liner worn on top to keep out the wind
Core: Long sleeve thick shirt, hoody, thermal jacket liner, Olympia Dakar jacket with water proof liner on top.
Feet: Engineer boots with thin polypropylene socks with thick wool socks over that.
Hands: Cheap pair of battery powered gloves I got off WISH

What gets cold? My commute is about 48 minutes. Halfway through the ride, it's always my hands that start getting cold! Anything below 35 degrees and the hands get cold. Above that the cheap heated gloves actually work pretty good! I really need to save up for a pair of better heated gloves or get some shields to get the wind off my hands.

My feet will start getting chilly about 3/4 way through if the temps are below 30. Below 25 degrees I add another layer of thinsulate socks and my feet stay warm down to 20.

I have not gotten my legs or core cold even down to 20 with this setup.

This morning it was 27 degrees when I left the house with highs going to 60! Spring is coming baby!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page