self-made or very reasonably priced tank bra? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

self-made or very reasonably priced tank bra?

The clear coat between the seat and the filler cap is looking a little scuffed on my 98 vt1100c. I was thinking about picking up some leather and fashioning a tank bra. Does anyone out there have a picture of one they've made that they're proud of? Maybe you could also describe how you attached it at the front and rear of tank? My second choice to making one myself would be to find one on-line for a very reasonable price; anyone like one they've gotten on-line? Thanks, Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:54 PM

I got mine from PH Customs -

Honda - PH Customs

They gave it to me for a discount for me taking pictures of it on my bike so they could use it on the website. It isn't really thick or heavy but I have had it on my VTX for a couple years and it has held up well. No stitching coming apart doesn't seem to be any heavy fading or anything and the pocket is really handy. Mine is the Illusion Blue tank on the Honda page.

I have seen better and worse, but their price is very reasonable and quality seems good. My wife has made a couple now herself maybe I can get her to post up some info.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:12 PM

Hi,
Yes, I have made 2 now. Yes, mine was "Girly" as I wanted a pink tank bib. 1st I started by making a pattern out of a brown paper bag. I took the face plate off the tank and made the pattern to fit between the face plate and the gas cap. Then made it the same on the other side. You could make it straight or taper it in. Depending on how your face plate is you can attach the bib with just putting the face plate back down or use some clips (we got them in the electrical dept. at Lowes). Find a Leather shop, Like Tandy or some other store that sells leather and accessories or you could order online. I found pink leather, silver and some pink stone studs, and sparkling lacing at the store. Once you have your pattern done, then you will know how much leather you need. They sell a leather hole punch which I used to punch holes for the lacing. To cut out your "bib" I would recommend using a rotary cutter (like for quilting), the cutting board and ruler for quilting as well~might could borrow from a quilter. This way you get a straight cut. Once it is cut out then punch the holes down the side to do lacing (if you want lacing) and add the studs. I put a pocket on mine too. It really isn't hard, my friend and I did hers in an afternoon. If you have anymore questions~just ask! I spent about $40.00 on my leather, lacing and studs. ( I was quoted $350.00 for a custom made pink tank bib with bling)

Margie
Hippochick

Last edited by hippochick39; 07-27-2011 at 06:22 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both; the bib looks really nice on that very nice blue. You were generous with your time Margie with those very detailed instructions. The bib they showed on a vt1100 was narrower than I want and they didn't show that they made one w/o studs. I just may end up making one. Thanks, Jon
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:27 PM

They make them for sport bikes so I am sure you can find them for cruisers

After the game,
the king and the pawn go into the same box.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:32 PM

No problem Jon. Also if you can't find a leather shop, do check Tandy Leather online. Also Springfield Leather in Springfield, MO has a website, could check them out too. I did cut the rounded parts off the bottom and made it just straight. (My 1st shadow was Black and Silver, now I have a Pearl White one.)

Margie
Hippochick

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 PM

Try these folks. Goatskins are way cheap and plenty big enough, they also have tanned for about $4 s.f. See: Glacier Wear - beaver hides, bobcat hides, fox hides, wolf hides
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by instygator View Post
They make them for sport bikes so I am sure you can find them for cruisers
Ya know, even though I'm in my mid-fifties I'm surprisingly immature. I'm afraid that style bra would be too big a distraction. Thanks for offering the idea though. Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page