Honda Shadow Forums banner

What did you do to your bike today?

2M views 22K replies 1K participants last post by  bweighmaster 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up my painted parts and started assemballin the bike :)

#9,981 ·
Huh??

Make sure you spoon the bead opposite the direction the valve stem will be facing first. Don't ask me how I know....:crying:

HUH??
I spoon one side on, then insert tube, but don`t really know or think about the stem facing to spoon on the remaining bead...
Ain`t really paid it mo thought...
"Thanks fer the heads up"...
I`ve not run into a problem yet...
BUT Then, I always get the bead in place under the stem first anyhow???

A bit Curious on the problem you had,
D

posted elsewhere just now

Received my chain & sprocket set and picked up my rear tire today...
I`ll get those installed "in the cool of the morning" and hope to be done with that by lunch...
Having trees on the east side of the pole barn, it don`t get hot until 11 or so...

Got a fan to keep me cool too,
D

#9,982 ·
Started reading some old posts here and then ended up re-reading Switch cleaning 101
and thought my "mushy" turn signal switch could do with a good cleaning & lube.
Best 15 minutes I've spent this week! Now when I use the turn signals it does not
feel like pushing a pencil thru thick axle grease, and there is actually a click when using it!

#9,983 ·
HUH??
I spoon one side on, then insert tube, but don`t really know or think about the stem facing to spoon on the remaining bead...
Ain`t really paid it mo thought...
"Thanks fer the heads up"...
I`ve not run into a problem yet...
BUT Then, I always get the bead in place under the stem first anyhow???

A bit Curious on the problem you had,
D
Since the tire arrived a day before the tube, I mounted the brake side bead first. Why I don't know, luck of the draw I guess...:serious: Maybe because I could see the directional arrow from the chain side. Well the valve stem faces the brake side and it was impossible to get the metal 90* stem into the hole in the rim. Could not get my fingers inside the tire on both sides. So, I had to lever the chain side bead on and then lever the brake side bead back off.:frown2:

Don't remember how I did it last summer when I mounted up the tire that got the cut in it, but I didn't have THAT much trouble getting the valve stem in.

#9,984 ·
Yes, KC, a clean switch is MUCH BETTER`N a dirty one, congrats!

firehawk, Them 90s are "booger bears" to get through the rim hole, for SURE!I pretty much always use the levers (spoons) on the brake drum side, and I reckon, like you< been LUCKY...
There just ain`t enough room OR "Give" inside there, that bead on the tire is MUCH Tougher than my hands...
I`ll try to pay attention to my technique tomorrow whilst wrestling that "car tire" onto the rim and that 90 through the hole...
I do "Cheat" though, I use a wire to feed the 90 >> after 25 minutes of fighting it :D

Lets Ride,
D

Gonna see the results of Darkside for the next 14,000 miles or more?

#9,985 ·
I took off from a stop sign and the clutch was slipping bad. Binding up on the pivot bolt, took it out and greased it and lubed the cable,fixed.On this bike.

#9,986 · (Edited)
Ordered some rear brake pads for it. I noticed a little squeaking sound. I needed to take the rear caliper off to clean it up and re-lube the pivot points, so at $8.00 a set, thought I might as well replace the pads. Plus, I needed something to do Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9,987 ·
firehawk, Them 90s are "booger bears" to get through the rim hole, for SURE!I pretty much always use the levers (spoons) on the brake drum side, and I reckon, like you< been LUCKY...
There just ain`t enough room OR "Give" inside there, that bead on the tire is MUCH Tougher than my hands...
I`ll try to pay attention to my technique tomorrow whilst wrestling that "car tire" onto the rim and that 90 through the hole...
I do "Cheat" though, I use a wire to feed the 90 >> after 25 minutes of fighting it :D

Lets Ride,
D

Gonna see the results of Darkside for the next 14,000 miles or more?
Well after it all, all I know is everything is right with the world again.:smile2:

One thing though, at times I have a habit of over thinking things. Can drive me crazy but, this time it paid off BIG time.

I've been going over and over if I had replaced/tightened everything correctly. Well, I just now thought it over again and suddenly remembered I had only spun the rear brake backing plate support rod nut on hand tight AND had not reinstalled a cotter pin. WHEW, that could/would have been a major problem!:surprise:

#9,990 ·
If you touched or thought about the bike today,
IT COUNTS!:surprise:
COOL!!! Then I do something with my bike every day!:grin2:

I even keep a bike vehicle on my GPS when i'm driving my truck!

#9,995 ·
Was talking to Art recently and I came to realize that compared to his stock setup, my gas mileage stinks 'and' my top end is not what it should be on the ACE. So I'm going in with new vacuum diaphragms and a new carbjetkits jet kit. I like my pipes so going back to stock is a last resort. Parts on order.

#9,997 ·
Was talking to Art recently and I came to realize that compared to his stock setup, my gas mileage stinks 'and' my top end is not what it should be on the ACE. So I'm going in with new vacuum diaphragms and a new carbjetkits jet kit. I like my pipes so going back to stock is a last resort. Parts on order.
That @adlowe is an ACE encyclopedia!
I've come to realize: I'll never get anywhere even close to his fuel mileage, but the FlyinJenni runs too good to mess with....she has more top end, in third gear w/ 2 up, than I'll ever use!
Good luck, Harryc!
Remember: in the few pics I have seen of Art, he is hauling way less than one-half our weights!