Honda Shadow Forums banner

What did you do to your bike today?

2M views 22K replies 1K participants last post by  bweighmaster 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up my painted parts and started assemballin the bike :)

#10,004 ·
I`ll make 10004 then...
Who has a tip on seating the bead on a tube rim and car tire??
I believe I read the seating is the tricky part and most difficult???

#10,005 ·
I`ll make 10004 then...

Seems like I remember @jkustomz28 saying it took a lot of pressure. Somewhere around 90psi, but don't quote me on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10,006 ·
I`ll make 10004 then...
low tech trick,,,spray hair spray into the tire,,,light a match. remove the valve stem innards first.

#10,007 ·
sorry, did not read all the words,,,forget the hair spray!!!

fill the tire to around 40 psi then if the bead is still unseated hit the tire with a sledge hammer,,,just watch the bounce.

#10,009 ·
That would be fun to watch, from a distance.....
Like anything else you have to be careful. I have done it a few times, the trick is to not use too much. The purpose built air tanks to do this with are out of my reach to only be used every now and then.

#10,010 ·
Tube in the tire will not allow the hair spray, or Ether trick to seat it...
Our son John says he don`t remember IF a spoke rim will allow use of the "darkside" tire...
He`s only seen alloy type wheels on this ???

I`ve had 80 pounds in it and it still ain`t seated...
I put 70#s, greased the bead area and set it in the sun about noon...
I`m about to go see what else I can do with it...

I got all the other stuff done >
Chain & sprocket installed
cleaned and lubed rear brake components for smooth action too
Never have bought the Honda Chain & sprocket set until this one, I had to take 8 links out to achieve 122, as the set came with 130 links...
I reckon to accommodate other models?
OR Mike just ordered the wrong "kit" for My ACE???
Ain`t sure?

Scared says 90#s, I`ll jack it up, (if the sun ain`t done so already)
D

#10,011 ·
One thing we did on bobcat tires or forklift tires was to take a ratcheting tie down in the center of the tire and tighten it up, it forces the air to the edges. We never did it with a tube tire but it's worth a try. Same concept but just make sue the tube is fully inside, which I'm sure you know but double check after the tiedown is on just to make sure it didn't move and pinch. in concept it should work with a lot less pressure than without the tiedown so less chance of hurting the tube.

#10,012 ·
Tube in the tire will not allow the hair spray, or Ether trick to seat it...
Our son John says he don`t remember IF a spoke rim will allow use of the "darkside" tire...
He`s only seen alloy type wheels on this ???

I`ve had 80 pounds in it and it still ain`t seated...
I put 70#s, greased the bead area and set it in the sun about noon...
I`m about to go see what else I can do with it...

I got all the other stuff done >
Chain & sprocket installed
cleaned and lubed rear brake components for smooth action too
Never have bought the Honda Chain & sprocket set until this one, I had to take 8 links out to achieve 122, as the set came with 130 links...
I reckon to accommodate other models?
OR Mike just ordered the wrong "kit" for My ACE???
Ain`t sure?

Scared says 90#s, I`ll jack it up, (if the sun ain`t done so already)
D

Old dad has a dark side tire on a spoked rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10,014 ·
Nope it just takes 90 forevers for me to do pics ;)
I gotta download to a host, (supermotors or photobucket)
then get them moved over here...
Not too bad but, that would take about 30 minutes on our VerizOCrap wireless connection, so I do not do pics often :D

I did finally get that bead seated at 6pm it finally agreed that I WAS GONNA WIN!
Chickenman and his son came by this morning and assisted getting my Bike up on the "bench" at 9 am...
I had the tire on the rim after cleaning the rim of greasy dirt in an hour and a half, then the bead seatying started, I threw it out in the yard at 12:15 and let the sun bake it until 5...
Whilst I was awaiting, I removed cleaned and reinstalled the brake pivot, installed chain & sprocket set, (hadta cut 8 links outta the chain, to 122)
I also examined and determined I need a front tire before I go to Lil Sturgis today amongst all the stuff I did...
I did mention 12:15 as a break time...
I spent the afternoonwith our great niece who justy cut her first tooth yesterday, so I enjoyed the AC with her during the "heat of the day"...

It has been a FULL day of wrenching,
D

$#!+, I ain`t even rode it...

#10,015 · (Edited)
Oh, size?
I bought 165/80-15...
Whilst the niece was napping, I checked out Darkside forums to get tips on my problemchild "Bead from hell"...
One fella suggested KY Jelly, for the lube, They`re weird on them site!
BUT have useful information...
There`s a chart for various Bikes and tire sizes, PSI recommendations and they even have a few vito and adlowe types, what are very informative and have knowledgable suggestions (K-Y)

I used Dawn for a lube, I didn`t wanna waste my K-Y after applying Dawn :D

Hope this link works and is the good one for you not2sure, Delphi Forums Login*-*Welcome! Please log in.

Another Darkside Tire Info Center

D

#10,016 ·
I've been busy, turned my vt500 in to a bobber, bagger then had it as a more modern style.
Of course that was all in my head because I am still healing from an overly painful ventricular hernia surgery all week. No riding for me yet, maybe another week. I can hear the VT calling me at night when in trying to sleep. ??

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

#10,019 ·
I've been busy, turned my vt500 in to a bobber, bagger then had it as a more modern style.
Of course that was all in my head because I am still healing from an overly painful ventricular hernia surgery all week. No riding for me yet, maybe another week. I can hear the VT calling me at night when in trying to sleep. ??

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
I'll be praying for a quick healing for you.