Honda Shadow Forums banner

What did you do to your bike today?

2M views 22K replies 1K participants last post by  bweighmaster 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up my painted parts and started assemballin the bike :)

#10,021 ·
I'll be praying for a quick healing for you.
Thank you pastordave. I had surgery 2 years ago that left a 5" scar right through my bellybutton. Now I have 6 holes around my stomach and 1 on either side of my old scar. I look like a 6 hour meat sundial.
Every day gets better, I should be able to toss a leg over the bike soon.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

#10,022 ·
Thank you pastordave. I had surgery 2 years ago that left a 5" scar right through my bellybutton. Now I have 6 holes around my stomach and 1 on either side of my old scar. I look like a 6 hour meat sundial.
Every day gets better, I should be able to toss a leg over the bike soon.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
Ouch, that sounds nasty!:crying:

#10,024 ·
I spent 3.5 hrs cleaning and polishing the wheels.. Still not even close to being done with the rear.. The previous owner hated cleaning and shining the spoked wheels. Well now I get to do it.. It's a giant PITA but has to be done!
Look at the bright side (pun intended:grin2:) when you're done all you have to do is keep up with it and it won't be so bad!

#10,027 ·
HMMM...
Got an after thought!
As we were discussing that 130 link chain, checking that mine takes 122 the guy what ordered it for me made the comment, " you do know to bring the axle all the way forward, place the chain, bring the end up, mark and cut it"... ;)
Through the years, I`ve just installed that 122 link chain...
I`ve never checked to see IF any more links need to be removed...

HOWEVER, Here`s one for our Gurus...
Each chain I`ve installed at 122 links, always ends up in the middle of the adjustment range on the chain adjuster marks...
I thought this is where it SHOULD end up, as it always ends up there with whatever brand chain I used...
(I think removing 2 more links would make it too short)
That fella even mentioned 1/2 link MIGHT be needed...
I`ve worked with chain driven equipment and had to install 1/2 links, but don`t necessarily like that extra "master type" link inline??

Does the Honda shops really do that?

I Prayed for all of our members this morning,
D

#10,028 ·
I spent 3.5 hrs cleaning and polishing the wheels..

Yeah, I thought the same thing, As I was in that "same boat" yesterday, cleaning that chain driven rear wheel whilst changing tires...
Off the Bike, 10 minutes remove tire less than 10 minutes, cleaning Crud? an hour...
Then came the inspect, remove, clean & lube the pivot for them brake shoes, 15 minutes complete...

Lets Ride!
Wrench & Clean later,
D

#10,029 ·
MAN!!
Pricing a Michelin 120/90-15 @ Powersports in Albany, Gene says retail $190, I can walk out the door with that tire for only $150...
Motorcyclesuperstore will ship it to me for $115, straight out...
That`s not counting my "points and or catalog discount" of prolly another 15 Hondabuck$...

BUT They only get $40 to mount and balance at the PS store...

Just to save $30+, I can wait,
D

#10,030 ·
HMMM...
Got an after thought!
As we were discussing that 130 link chain, checking that mine takes 122 the guy what ordered it for me made the comment, " you do know to bring the axle all the way forward, place the chain, bring the end up, mark and cut it"... ;)
Through the years, I`ve just installed that 122 link chain...
I`ve never checked to see IF any more links need to be removed...

HOWEVER, Here`s one for our Gurus...
Each chain I`ve installed at 122 links, always ends up in the middle of the adjustment range on the chain adjuster marks...
I thought this is where it SHOULD end up, as it always ends up there with whatever brand chain I used...
(I think removing 2 more links would make it too short)
That fella even mentioned 1/2 link MIGHT be needed...
I`ve worked with chain driven equipment and had to install 1/2 links, but don`t necessarily like that extra "master type" link inline??

Does the Honda shops really do that?

I Prayed for all of our members this morning,
D
In all the factory work I've done there were many times we had to use half links also or just replace links if a chain brakes giving it more master links. Very rare if ever can i remember a chain braking at one of those links if installed properly. I understand your concern though but I wouldn't worry about it. About the only one i can remember was on a sand belt and sand berried the chain causing the clip to come off the master link. You don't plan on any dirt riding do you!

#10,032 ·
Looking back to yesterday, that trouble with that bead was worth it...
I just put 70 miles on the new feel of Darkside...
It`ll take a little getting used to, but I`ll let you know after our Lil Sturgis Run upcoming...
Darkside forums say 500 miles to "break in" the tire???
Do not understand that, but, it`ll be "broke in" before I get to Sturgis, KY..
Interstate miles, straight up, hardly any curves...
BUT in them mountains; it`ll get a workout!!!
I`ll change the front tire tonite,
D

#10,034 ·
I put new brakes on the back. The PO told me he just had them replaced at the BMW dealership less then 100 miles before I bought it. They squeaked like crazy after I put 500 miles on it. So, I ordered new pads ($11.00), and bought some lubricant for pivot points on the caliper and took it apart this afternoon. Takes about 3 minutes to get the pads off, you don't even have to remove the caliper or wheel. The dealership did not lube pivot points, nor did they put any anti squeak stuff on the back of the pads. That's why it was squeaking. I did it the right way and squeak is gone. Put 50 miles on it to make sure. The old pads still looked new so I'll hang on to them. They were genuine BMW pads, so I can't imagine how much those cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10,036 ·
The dealership did not lube pivot points, nor did they put any anti squeak stuff on the back of the pads. That's why it was squeaking. I did it the right way and squeak is gone.
Good on you Scared. Do it once, do it right. Just because the sign says BMW on the dealership does not mean they have competent mechanics.

#10,037 ·
A friend of mine says about his BMW that the
BMW stands for Bring Money & Wallet>:)

Yeah, genuine BMW parts are way over priced, but with normal wear items, there are a few aftermarket places that you can get things at a reasonable price. Most mechanics will not touch one, which forces people to have to go to a dealership. Luckily I am pretty comfortable doing most stuff myself, but if not, the closest dealership is like 5 hours away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10,038 ·
Got a yellowjacket inside my riding jacket today and got stung twice before I could get a safe place to pull off and get rid of my jacket. We were on our road, so I just rode the rest of the way home sans jacket. Not gonna lie, it sure felt great to ride for a bit with the wind on my bare arms! Took a Benadryl once we got home in the hopes that I don't have an allergic reaction. Diphenhydramine induced coma in 3, 2, 1....

Aside from that episode, we put on 100 miles and it was one of the nicest rides we've done yet. :D

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

#10,039 ·
I rode 105 miles today. Started at 85° and was 97 when I got back but most of the trip on the top of the valley was maybe low 80's up there. Beautiful ride and the least pain I've had on a ride in a long time, even 30 mile rides! God is great, kept me comfortable all the way!

#10,040 ·
Got a yellowjacket inside my riding jacket today and got stung twice before I could get a safe place to pull off and get rid of my jacket.
I'm proud of you Bethany, that was a pro move. Doesn't matter what else is going on, get to a safe place. Nice!!!