Honda Shadow Forums banner

What did you do to your bike today?

2M views 22K replies 1K participants last post by  bweighmaster 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up my painted parts and started assemballin the bike :)

#10,221 ·
What type of bike is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suzuki M109, Big heavy tank that needs to be forced around corners :p

To be fair he is getting better with time on this bike but it not a natural corning machine, he lost a lot of speed when he got this (in the corners) and it eats tires..... Looks cool with the fat tire but 3000 miles on a commander II and looks like the cobra is going to be about the same and they cost! :surprise:

But he likes it and that is the important part, and loves its new look

As it was when he got it

#10,222 ·
Suzuki M109, Big heavy tank that needs to be forced around corners :p

To be fair he is getting better with time on this bike but it not a natural corning machine, he lost a lot of speed when he got this (in the corners) and it eats tires..... Looks cool with the fat tire but 3000 miles on a commander II and looks like the cobra is going to be about the same and they cost! :surprise:

But he likes it and that is the important part, and loves its new look

As it was when he got it

There is a member here that has one of those, but it's all tricked out. He hasn't been around in a while. His name was Big B.(I think)

#10,223 ·
There is a member here that has one of those, but it's all tricked out. He hasn't been around in a while. His name was Big B.(I think)

Yup, he's forgotten forums and been working out and modding. He checked in on another forum a month or so ago.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#10,227 ·
Moved it from the yard to the barn this morning...
Parked outside last nite, so as to wipe it down whilst the dew was on it, but waited too long :(

Lets Ride,
D

#10,231 · (Edited)
I've been in full maintenance mode with the new to me Valkyrie. Within the last couple of days I've adjusted the shock pre-load to stiffen them, changed the oil and filter, changed the spark plugs, changed the coolant, put on a battery tender pigtail, ordered speed bleeders and an air filter, ordered a Honda service manual, ordered a luggage rack, ordered a peg relocation kit, ordered a bracket to be able to jack it up, adjusted the idle and the throttle free-play, and detailed it. Still to do; Change all of the hydraulic fluids, inspect the timing belt tension, replace the Honda petcock with a pingel petcock, and replace the brakes and the tires. I am hoping to get the season out of the current brakes and tires, but we'll see. I also took down the serial number of the YUASA AGM battery and contacted YUASA to figure out how old it was. They replied it was manufactured in Feb. 2013. So I think it's going to give a few more years of service ... which reminds me I have to check the charging system . These have an alternator that s fairly reliable, but I'll check it out anyway.

#10,232 ·
Forecast was for heavy isolated rain showers, winds 25 knots gusting 40, occasional thunder storms....

Our must stop watering hole has opened after its fire 2 years ago so its was time to ride despite the forecast

I enjoyed it, makes you feel alive is Gusty winds, managed to find ways around the rain, some very wet roads but I almost stayed dry :D

#10,233 ·
I've been in full maintenance mode with the new to me Valkyrie. Within the last couple of days I've adjusted the shock pre-load to stiffen them, changed the oil and filter, changed the spark plugs, changed the coolant, put on a battery tender pigtail, ordered speed bleeders and an air filter, ordered a Honda service manual, ordered a luggage rack, ordered a peg relocation kit, ordered a bracket to be able to jack it up, adjusted the idle and the throttle free-play, and detailed it. Still to do; Change all of the hydraulic fluids, inspect the timing belt tension, replace the Honda petcock with a pingel petcock, and replace the brakes and the tires. I am hoping to get the season out of the current brakes and tires, but we'll see. I also took down the serial number of the YUASA AGM battery and contacted YUASA to figure out how old it was. They replied it was manufactured in Feb. 2013. So I think it's going to give a few more years of service ... which reminds me I have to check the charging system . These have an alternator that s fairly reliable, but I'll check it out anyway.
Sounds like you're gettin' it whipped into harryc shape! And btw, the wife was oohing and aahing over the pics of your new ride, Harry!:wink2: She is a thing of beauty.

#10,235 ·
Heck Ya 16 year old boys they go get there permits on Monday Lord save me lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
I'm glad I won't be out that way for a while!LOL
It's hard enough to teach one to drive much less 2. If what they say is true you'll at least know what to expect when they switch drivers!
Have fun and make sure to teach them good on 2 wheels also!:grin2:

#10,236 ·
Wow, sounds like you have a bunch of fun wrenching coming up! I didn't see the link to your new bike until I hit the reply button so I'll head there now. Seems like a lot of people really like those Valkyrie's, let us know the progress. I never got to even sit on one yet, I'll have to find one to try out, not that I could afford a different bike yet but it doesn't hurt to look! Well maybe it does. LOL

#10,237 ·
Ooooo, nice looking bike! What year and how many miles on it?

#10,238 · (Edited)
@pastordave1 , thanks Dave. It's a '97 with 21k miles on it. It's got an odd history. I am the 4th owner but nobody seems to have ridden it much. 21k miles over 19 yeas averages out to about 1100 miles a year. I am guessing it sat unused in one of those owners garages for several years. Go find one and sit on it...take it for a ride if you can convince the owner or dealer to let you. Problem is there's not too many around and very few at dealers anymore. I sat on my first one the day I bought it. :) The weight surprised me in a good way. It looks massive, but a standard Valk weighs 660 lbs dry weight, and a Shadow 1100 weighs 575 pounds dry weight. So a standard Valk only weighs 85 lbs more than a Shadow. Tourers and Interstates are another story, but still not too much more weight. It's easy to handle and I can throw it around in the twisties pretty good. It has great power, very fast, and it is smooooth.... like riding a '69 Caddy convertible on the open highway. lol
Mechanically it's pretty much old school, but that is what I like since I want to be able to fix it myself.

#10,240 · (Edited)
Don't forget the "pumpkin" fluid.
On a note, Valk standards weigh in @ 751lbs. wet. Mine as it sets 800lbs.
Thanks, it's on the list also and thanks for the weight correction. I was going off of internet published specs. I should just look in the manual. :) That just makes the handling that much more impressive. It doesn't feel like that heavy of a bike. Very well balanced ...