Honda Shadow Forums banner

What did you do to your bike today?

2M views 22K replies 1K participants last post by  bweighmaster 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up my painted parts and started assemballin the bike :)

#12,021 ·
I only get about 10mph per gear before I feel I need to upshift. I'm usually in 5th by 55 mph. Hate it. We do a lot of highway driving, so lower rpms at highway speeds would be great. :)
Yes, you NEED to get the sprocket change then!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#12,022 ·
well it was yesterday I am behind...lol got to go for a nice ride solo..my riding buddy @phantonrider64 had to tweak his tire before he was comfortable riding it had to go to lowes to get a socket he needed... miss riding with him but we are going for a nice ride today...I had some errands to run went the back roads to the city of Oxford Al and such a peaceful relaxing ride....about 75 miles round trip..loved it ...0:)

#12,023 ·
Yes, you NEED to get the sprocket change then!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

She needs to take at least 2 sick days!

Part of one day to change sprocket, then the remainder of that day to do on-road testing!
The following day to 'properly break-in new parts'.

However, I wasn't aware that ANY Honda cruisers were geared as low as she is describing.
Both my ACES will get 1" shorter tires, next change. Geared too high.

~Gnarly

GO CUBBIES!
( because ANY team can overcome a losing century )

#12,024 ·
She needs to take at least 2 sick days!

Part of one day to change sprocket, then the remainder of that day to do on-road testing!
The following day to 'properly break-in new parts'.

However, I wasn't aware that ANY Honda cruisers were geared as low as she is describing.
Both my ACES will get 1" shorter tires, next change. Geared too high.

~Gnarly

GO CUBBIES!
( because ANY team can overcome a losing century )
Oh, I am not doing any of this myself! I do not have the mechanical background to be messing around with important parts that could mean life or death if I mess it up! I'll tinker with accessories, but I will gladly pay someone who does this stuff every day and has the proper tools for the job. :)
I'll happily put on the highway bars and pegs and the radiator cover, etc., when those come.

#12,025 ·
Today, we took a trip to two of the local sports centers. One of them still had about a dozen bikes on the floor. The other (a Victory dealership) didn't have a thing with two wheels anywhere to be seen! Anyway, I got to sit on a bunch of different bikes...a Phantom, a Bolt, an Aero, some type of Yamaha sportbike (FJR?), a CTX 1300, and some other humongous Honda (not a Goldwing). Out of all of them, I liked the Phantom the best and that CTX was kind of intriguing, but there wasn't anything that I would have traded my ACE for. Came home, pulled off the bags, took the conchos and fringy pieces off my seat, and gave her the first full bath since I've owned her...can you believe that?!? I don't like to use the hose on her. Don't she look purty??? I am hopeful to get another ride or two in this season, but I'm working a lot of hours. I think I feel a sick day coming on. This next week is supposed to be real nice. ;)

Looks great. Water ain't gonna hurt it. They be water proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12,026 ·
Not today but Friday I rode a little over 100 miles and did some great video in of the ride, some teaching and some just fall colors and some praying, camera broke again, was doing teaching when the last one broke, look at the whyizzit for a full explanation. Anyway, a beautiful ride.
Then yesterday took it out to get ready to ride and said to my self, self, you can't posibly leave this bike this dirty especially while its waiting for me to get back on after surgery so I washed it up good too! Had waxed it a few months ago so it just needed a good wash and dry. it's real clean now! Then I went on another ride, about 60 miles, another beautiful day but being Saturday a bit of traffic to try to negotiate through but had fun doing it!
Filled the tank first and still getting 62 mpg's even just riding hard, love it!

#12,027 ·
Do the cops there not have an issue with you having your plate # blacked out?

Thats just a tag I have laying around the shop that I put on when I haven't ridden a while,,,I never know how I will ride after not riding for a while, so I just use a tag like that.

#12,028 ·
After watching one of PastorDave's videos and seeing him hit 60 mph in 3rd gear, I'm very much looking forward to doing the sprocket mod next spring when I have it in for servicing. I am getting new tires next year, so I figure it's a good time to do the mod, since the wheels will be off anyway. Gonna spend the off months looking at either highway bars with pegs or forward controls with boards. Also gonna look into some risers to fix some of my comfort issues. I don't think I'll be in a position for a different bike anytime soon, so I'm going to focus on getting my ACE set up a little better for me. :)
I actually hit 63 in 2nd gear! Upper 30's in first, 3rd, 4th and 5th I don't know, never had the chance to go that fast!
I think it probably has a lot to do with my upgrades though, I never tried it when it was stock so I don't know.

#12,029 ·
Today, we took a trip to two of the local sports centers. One of them still had about a dozen bikes on the floor. The other (a Victory dealership) didn't have a thing with two wheels anywhere to be seen! Anyway, I got to sit on a bunch of different bikes...a Phantom, a Bolt, an Aero, some type of Yamaha sportbike (FJR?), a CTX 1300, and some other humongous Honda (not a Goldwing). Out of all of them, I liked the Phantom the best and that CTX was kind of intriguing, but there wasn't anything that I would have traded my ACE for. Came home, pulled off the bags, took the conchos and fringy pieces off my seat, and gave her the first full bath since I've owned her...can you believe that?!? I don't like to use the hose on her. Don't she look purty??? I am hopeful to get another ride or two in this season, but I'm working a lot of hours. I think I feel a sick day coming on. This next week is supposed to be real nice. ;)

I love my Phantom!!! I think that Honda designed it to be a factory bobber, or a cafe racer style,,,I dont really know. I have added the scootworks risers to make the handlebars more comfortable, still could use some more pullback but that would entail new cables, hoses, and lengthening the wiring harnesses.

The gearing is like your bike and since it is shaft drive the only way to fix it is to put a taller tire on it,,,which I just did,,,I do not want to get into trying to change the gearing in the rear end or the trans.

#12,030 ·
I love my Phantom!!! I think that Honda designed it to be a factory bobber, or a cafe racer style,,,I dont really know. I have added the scootworks risers to make the handlebars more comfortable, still could use some more pullback but that would entail new cables, hoses, and lengthening the wiring harnesses.

The gearing is like your bike and since it is shaft drive the only way to fix it is to put a taller tire on it,,,which I just did,,,I do not want to get into trying to change the gearing in the rear end or the trans.
It would be nice to bring my handlebars a touch closer to me, but like you, I don't have any wiggle room with cables. To me, the Bolt was more of a bobber style with a tiny solo seat. I didn't like it at all. I'm glad to hear it's not just my bike with the gearing. I feel once I get to 15-20 mph in first, she's really winding out and I don't like to push it that hard.

#12,031 ·
I actually hit 63 in 2nd gear! Upper 30's in first, 3rd, 4th and 5th I don't know, never had the chance to go that fast!
I think it probably has a lot to do with my upgrades though, I never tried it when it was stock so I don't know.
I figured I was remembering that wrong...thanks for clarifying. Like I said, it just feels like I'm really winding it out if I get 20mph out of first.

#12,032 ·
Thats just a tag I have laying around the shop that I put on when I haven't ridden a while,,,I never know how I will ride after not riding for a while, so I just use a tag like that.

That's kinda weird, but everyone has their own quirks. I leave the same tag on my bike at all times. Seems a waste of time to me, but ain't my time.

#12,033 ·
@pastordave, I just watched your short fall colors video and I have to say that I am already incredibly envious of that deep blue sky you got going on down there. We have been nothing but grey, grey, grey, and in the 40s, low 50s here. It's not even November and I already hate it! We keep dreaming and planning of our move...

#12,034 ·
Yeah, I gotta old tag laying around for my "Bad Apple Days", too...
When I wanna go "Ride it Like I stole it", I put that "false tag" on and pull an hours worth of shinanigans ...

;)

#12,035 ·
Came home, pulled off the bags, took the conchos and fringy pieces off my seat, and gave her the first full bath since I've owned her...can you believe that?!?. ;)
Whoa...that's a pretty nice bike Bethany... love the colors. Don't trade her away. Get your sprocket mod done and ride on. ;)

#12,036 ·
Whoa...that's a pretty nice bike Bethany... love the colors. Don't trade her away. Get your sprocket mod done and ride on. ;)
Thanks! Yeah, in talking with my husband, he was surprised that I wouldn't want to keep the ACE and just possibly add something different to the stable later on. For me, it was a monetary issue, but considering I only paid $2,500 for the ACE and she's been such a good bike, I think I'll be hanging on to her for a while :)

#12,038 ·
Thanks! Yeah, in talking with my husband, he was surprised that I wouldn't want to keep the ACE and just possibly add something different to the stable later on. For me, it was a monetary issue, but considering I only paid $2,500 for the ACE and she's been such a good bike, I think I'll be hanging on to her for a while :)
Nothing wrong with havin 2 in the stable! Your bike is sweet keep it!

RIDE ON !

#12,039 ·
Another vote for two in the stable Bethany, at least until you love the new bike to the point of not riding the ACE... You hear it so often, bike gets traded, then you miss how the old one rode and it takes several more bikes traded before you are happy again. ;)

#12,040 ·
@Bethany , I have to agree with the others. As clean as your bike is. I would hang on to it. I had my first really good day for me in well over a month. I got the parts in I needed to get my carbs back together last week. I found a hole in one of the new slide diaphragms. Same rear carb, go figure. I got every thing together yesterday but waited till today to fire her up today with a clearer mind. I did a double check on things and hit the button. Only took a few cranks for her ti fire up. I was hoping for good but got great. Even cold with no choke. She sits and idles great. And no more popping at all. I will fine tune her tomorrow. We are having rain off and on today. So a GREAT day for me finally. :grin2: Next I will attempt to clean her up.