Carb Cleaning Cost - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Carb Cleaning Cost

So I decided to bring my bike in for a carb cleaning and despite the fact that they said they would get too it in a day or 2 they've had it for almost a week and hadn't got to it yet! They promised me monday if not I'm just going to go get my bike back but what bothers me is even though they said it sounds like that's all it needs (stalls when choke is fully off, but otherwise runs fine) They won't give me a friggen estimate til they look at it! I'm not worried about them trying to say it's something else because it's well respected dealership in my area (despite being slow as sheet). But what sucks is I need to buy a few things (lumber for my deck for one) and I keep holding off until I know how much it's going too cost.
Any idea what a usual carb cleaning costs?

Thanks, NY Gent

If Life Isn't Hard, You're Doing Something Wrong
2000 Sabre VT1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:59 PM

I had my carbs done 2 weeks ago along with a coolant flush. Bought it last year and who knows when the last flush was done. Cost was 282 for both including tax and coolant. I'd figure 200.

1996 VT1100C
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:05 AM

I would have just done it myself. Doing a carb clean is so easy and inexpensive, it's insane to have a stealership do it. And they all lie through their teeth about what else needs done. You've got a great reference here for doing it yourself, too. Many, many of us have done it on multiple bikes.

By the way, they will charge you the most for just taking the carbs off. That's the longest, most intensive part of the entire process, just because you have to get to the carbs underneath some wiring and such. 2/3 to 3/4 of your expense will be strictly labor. I'm betting you won't need any parts at all for the carb, though.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I was thinking around 250 and I just got the bike and changed the plugs and oil myself but I messed with the carbs on my old 84 Shadow 750 once and spent half the summer trying to get them just right again. The longer I have this one the more familiar I'll be with it and will start doing most of the work myself right now I just want to ride. Thanks again.

If Life Isn't Hard, You're Doing Something Wrong
2000 Sabre VT1100
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 01:39 AM

The key to not having to adjust them again afterwards is not splitting the carbs. Leave them connected and soak the entire carb rack in carb cleaner, then wash them off really good. After that, soak them overnight in PineSol. While the racks are soaking, meticulously clean all the pieces. Make sure to use a small piece of wire to clean out each jet and all of the little pathways really well. I usually soak all of the pieces in the carb cleaner and PineSol, too.

If you do it that way, you don't mess up the sync between carbs at all. You shouldn't have to remove the pilot screw, either, as long as you clean all of the pathways really good. Some spray carb cleaner sprayed through works well.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 01:56 AM

$20 and 2 hours....... Seen them go for $100-$500 in a shop. More often than not, you end up spending the $20 and 6 hours, anyway, cause the shop messed something up.

93 VT1100C Sleeper, VH Exhaust, Saddleman Seat, Baby Apes, Metzlers, 2mm sleeved and bored (1150cc),10.5:1 comp, Modified Heads, Valves, Cams, Adjustable Timing, Bored Carbs.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 02:50 AM

It's probable a four hr job fo them and at $80 - $100 a hr for labor i would say ur looking at $500+.

NV.

85 Honda Shadow vt700c
K&N air fiter
Cobra pipe's
S&S mirror's
J&P cycle's HW Peg's
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 05:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Gent View Post
Thanks I was thinking around 250...
That's a reasonable budget. Depending on what they do, the labor cost will be the biggest expense. BTW - that's a sweet looking bike you got there. As always and above all...ride safe.

Floyd Dolin - US Army Retired (1969-1990)
1996 Honda Shadow VT1100C
1997 H-D (FLSTC)
American Legion Rider- Patriot Guard Rider - ABATE of Illinois

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 08:07 AM

Will it run at all without choke? Or does it just stall sometimes? What is your idle speed? I agree with others here ... take the bike back. If it does idle most of the time but stalls occasionally, I would speed up the idle and try a few rounds of seafoam or berrymans. Otherwise, a quick cleaning is in order

2006 Shadow Spirit 1100 - sold May 6, 2016

2011 Victory Cross Country

Thanks
Vaughn
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 AM

Garage
I just had mine done at Mavrix Honda in Middletown NY, along with a few other things. They gave me an estimate of 2-2 1/2 hrs, for the carb work. It runs better than it has in years. They also took me in the next day (Fri), I got it back Sat. Very happy with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page