Taking the VLX 600 (or any carb bike) Over the Bear Tooth Highway - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Taking the VLX 600 (or any carb bike) Over the Bear Tooth Highway

Bought my son a 1997 Shadow VLX 600 last year for his senior year in high school. My neighbor had literally "parked it" in his garage for 15 years after riding it only 77 miles. I had the carburetor rebuilt, new tires, etc. It is still running great after 4,000 miles. We live in Texas. I suspect the carburetor rebuild only involved cleaning out the junk, no rejetting.

We plan to ride to Sturgis in about a month. We want to go over the Bear Tooth Highway, then down thru Dinosaur National park in UT / CO, then down to Durango, CO over the Million Dollar Highway.

Anyone been over the Bear Tooth Highway (highest elevation 10,600 ft - I believe) with a carburetor bike? Can we do that without problems? Any recommended modification for the trip? Timing advance; foam air filter, etc.??? Does the highest octane fuel help?

I lived in Denver 30 years ago and drove the mountains in my car, so I know the feeling of pedal to the metal and still only going 50 mph uphill. (Not sure if my car then had a carburetor or EFI.) So, I know at a minimum we'll experience that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page