Military veterans - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 03:32 PM

US Army Infantry. 2000-present. 3 tours Iraq among other things. Trying to live up to what those before me did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 05:50 PM

Model: Spirit 750 VT750DC
Year: 2003
Garage
I served in AF from 83-87, and was in CA (language school), TX (equipment training), S. Korea, and MD (NSA) mostly. Not exactly a good experience for me, for my 'career', but always tried to enjoy the time, wherever I was. Had lots of fun in Korea, especially as that was the language I learned.

One bad experience was seeing a mink blanket in a shop window, and stepping in to see how much it was, and hearing the shop owner holler back to the lady in the back that he was going to see how much $ he could get out of this 'dumb GI, meaning me. I decided to only speak English, and asked, and heard him say that they had only paid $4 for it in Korean, and turned to me to say, "I'll give you my best price, $15!" I turned away, and said, "See you later" in Korean, and they stopped me. I got it for the $4 they paid, but they wanted me to not tell any of my friends. Well, I told all of them to avoid that place!

The one really awesome experience I had was bicycling through the countryside, thinking I could make it to the coast, which was only 10 miles away, as the crow flies. I must have gotten only about 5 miles out, when I realized I wasn't going to make it and still get home before dark. When I turned around, someone sitting on the bank between the ride paddys, where there were a dozen or so workers planting rice, yelled out to me to come over. Suspecting something terrible, I cautiously went over to them. There on the blanket on the ground was one medium bowl of kimchi (fermented cabbage that is the staple of Korean cuisine) and another bowl of rice the same size. I was asked to sit down and eat with them. I was in awe! I asked if this meager meal was for all the workers to share, and was told that it was. Since I could explain in their language that I didn't feel right to 'steal' the food from their mouths because they were obviously working so hard, they were not insulted (which they normally would be for such a refusal). I was so humbled, though, at the hospitality and generosity of such simple folk who had so little, yet were willing to share.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

Ride Bells by blue flames & shadowride69 (THANKS!!)
'13 Harley Dyna Super Glide (FXDC)
post #23 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 PM

US NAVY 2007 to present.
post #24 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 09:29 PM

US Navy, USS Michigan, SSBN 727 FTB2 1983-1989
"There are only two ships in the Navy, submarines and targets. Ha!

“There is nothing that is a more certain sign of insanity than to do the same thing over and over and expect the results to be different.” – Albert Einstein

2009 Shadow Spirit VT750 C2

post #25 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 09:47 PM

Retired USN as an EW1 served from 86-06.
post #26 of 265 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 12:34 AM

Model: Sabre
Year: 2002
Garage
1955 to 1958, US Army 187 RCT, 82nd Airborne, 101 Airborne and 7th Inf. Korea.

To all you service men and women........I Thank You For Your Service....

http://s33.photobucket.com/user/eldo....jpg.html?o=11
"John" 2002 Sabre
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider Chapter 84
post #27 of 265 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgethejeep View Post
US Army Infantry. 2000-present. 3 tours Iraq among other things. Trying to live up to what those before me did.
Where are you stationed?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

07 Aero 750
Mustang seat
M/C Enterprises floorboards
Heel/toe shifter
post #28 of 265 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 02:38 AM

Garage
US ARMY 95-2004 tour in Bosnia, Macedonia, and Iraq Been all around. Started in Eustis VA, Hanau Germany, Ft Hood TX, Puerto Rico, Honduras, Ft. Campbell. Was a E-5 when i got out. NSDQ
post #29 of 265 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 AM

Garage
US ARMY 2002-2012, Plenty of deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, first duty station was Ft. Campbell and stayed there for 8 years. also an E-5 when got out. NSDQ

2004 VT600CD VLX Deluxe
post #30 of 265 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAero View Post
Where are you stationed?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Currently Germany. I have been stationed in Carson and several other bases for training. Curious as to why you ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page