From a beginner to beginner - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 01:28 PM

Garage
Never forget you are an ant in a world of shoes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 02:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnTfam View Post
So I'm a pretty new rider in terms of owning (borrowing doesn't count I'm sure), but have been around riders much of my life and have always given bikes a wide berth for their safety and my conscience.
On that note, I've found I have developed many of the above ideas as habits, particularly mental games of what's that car driver going to do, how close are they going to get, etc.
1. I personally ride in the center, as way too many people can't drive a straight line in a car and with the narrow 2 lane roads where I mostly drive, I will not give anyone a chance to cross over and hit me.
2. I'm grateful to MSF's instructor's for this; over-emphasizing to ALWAYS keep my bike in gear at intersections watching behind and around with the intent in my mind to get the heck out of there!
3. I have a full face helmet, one of those new age riding jackets that has the armor, boots and overpants. I will admit I sometimes don't wear the pants as it gets so bloody hot in florida, but I wear the rest religiously. I always cringe when I see the idiots in "fool's gear" just street clothes, or less.
as an "idiot" in "fools" gear of 29 years riding experience..heres hoping you don't get a chance to find out how ineffective that safety gear can really be.. don't dress for the crash..ride to avoid it

Skulz..it ain't just a bike thing to me

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
as an "idiot" in "fools" gear of 29 years riding experience..heres hoping you don't get a chance to find out how ineffective that safety gear can really be.. don't dress for the crash..ride to avoid it
OK so I didn't mean to offend, who I'm referring to was thinking of are the kids I see riding around in shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops.

But I stick to my guns on the helmet, don't care how many old bikers tell me they're useless. I'm gonna at least leave a pretty corpse for the family!

'04 Shadow Spirit (VT1100C) <2k miles, Man I don't ride nearly enough!
K&N air filter,
Slipstreamer Stealth windshield,
New Tires!

"Beware of anyone who calls you bad names merely for asking honest questions."
- Jim Goad
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnTfam View Post
OK so I didn't mean to offend, who I'm referring to was thinking of are the kids I see riding around in shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops.

But I stick to my guns on the helmet, don't care how many old bikers tell me they're useless. I'm gonna at least leave a pretty corpse for the family!

You have every right to.. and I respect that.. there sadly is often the difference between gear wearers and those of us who choose not to..respect of choice

Skulz..it ain't just a bike thing to me

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 10:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
You have every right to.. and I respect that.. there sadly is often the difference between gear wearers and those of us who choose not to..respect of choice
Well said crazy Dave.

'04 Shadow Spirit (VT1100C) <2k miles, Man I don't ride nearly enough!
K&N air filter,
Slipstreamer Stealth windshield,
New Tires!

"Beware of anyone who calls you bad names merely for asking honest questions."
- Jim Goad
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 10:48 AM

Garage
Whenever I am behind a car, I like to be able to see the driver in one of their mirrors. This is because if I can see them, they can see me. I do this especially on the highway...
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 03:15 PM

Never ride too close behind a cattle truck.

87 VT700C
97 VT1100C (Sold)
07 VT750DC
99 VT1100C3

I spent most of my money on beer, women, and motorcycles. The rest I just wasted.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 04:07 PM

Garage
We are ants in a world full of shoes
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcatnap View Post
Hi Guys,
This is what i have experience as a fairly new biker (a couple thousand miles only). Hope these points help you too. You are more then welcome to add to it or correct it.

1. On the road, I drive where a "Cager" expects to see a car drive. Being visible where expected.

2. I don't dart from corners or places where a cager least expects, such as "darting" from between two cars or side and suddenly appearing from nowhere, panicking a cager or fellowbiker.

3. I ride my bike exactly how i drive my car. Turn signals, speed limit, posted limit on bends (or even less).

4. I constantly watch other drives intentions, not just the car but where is he looking, down, left, right, talking etc.

5. I avoid staying in any blind spot. Most drivers only look at the mirror less the a second.

6. Motorcycle gets rigid as speed increases, so ride withing my ability.

I hope my little tips helps.

Thanks guys
Great thoughts. Keep riding like that and you'll do great. Ride on and ride safe.

Life doesn't care if you're unprepared.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 07:51 PM

I'm waiting for a certain forum member to reject advise from a new rider? Hello.

Born to ride; forced to work? No I quit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page