What did you do wrong on your bike today? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

What did you do wrong on your bike today?

It seems every day I manage to screw up once or twice while riding. Whether it's turning further out than I should have, kicking into neutral instead of second gear, or starting off in second gear, there always seems to be some little nuance that ticks me off. I'm a perfectionist and I hate when things haven't gone by the book.

Though the specific things I mention may only happen once in a blue moon, it's inevitible that some other little things will take their place on the road.

What did I do wrong today? I was in a tight circular turn in a parking lot getting close to a low angle curb. I got a little lax and decided to ride over part of the curb instead of slowing down a bit and readjusting my turn. It thew off my balance a bit but it wasn't enough to make me tip the bike. Next time I will be sure to reevaluate.

Oh, and I hate when I don't land in second gear on an intersection turn. This happens on occasion too. Grrrrrrr

Does anyone else have any "foopah" moments during a day of riding?

Current Bike:
2016 Indian Chief Dark Horse

Previous Bikes:
1994 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

nothing today, allergies hit late saturday, I won't ride like this.

As soon as you become accustom to anything, some moron has to change it.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:21 PM

Garage
Well brother, I only have just over a hundred miles on this new to me bike, after at least a 30 or so year layoff. So yea, I am still having issues every time I go out, but they are all rapidly getting better. First it was my blinker staying on. And of course, you can imagine my wide turns! Luckly, I am working hard every night on these issues, staying in big parking lots etc. back roads... In fact, I have made new parking lots a speciality! I especially love brand new HEB parking lots on a Sunday morning! This one is fantastic!

If I am ever gonna go out brotha, I'm going out riding on a pink Honda. Preferably wearing a Superman costume...

Lonnie Mac

Linkypoo to my photo stream...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

2006 Honda VT750CA

And the 96!

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie_Mac View Post
Well brother, I only have just over a hundred miles on this new to me bike, after at least a 30 or so year layoff. So yea, I am still having issues every time I go out, but they are all rapidly getting better. First it was my blinker staying on. And of course, you can imagine my wide turns! Luckly, I am working hard every night on these issues, staying in big parking lots etc. back roads... In fact, I have made new parking lots a speciality! I especially love brand new HEB parking lots on a Sunday morning! This one is fantastic!

Awesome that you have a place to practice. I do the parking lot thing too to practice real slow circular turns. Oh, and the blinker? I forget to cancel that on a daily basis at least once. Very very annoying. I'm just glad the cagers were paying attention during these times. Not to mention how uncool it looks riding the crash bar pegs while cruising with a blinker on.

Current Bike:

Previous Bikes:

Last edited by Chazmar; 09-08-2014 at 08:29 PM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:46 PM

Garage
Yep! I have places to go for sure. Unfortunately though, I live in what I like to call, the gauntlet... In any direction out of my hood down here, I have to turn onto a two lane road, and the speed limit is 65! Kinda scary for sure! But it is what it is I guess. As of late though, I am getting much more comfortable with everything. I was scared to death when I picked this bike up though. All looked fine, but in my noobness, the bike felt VERY heavy! I mean to the point I thought I was crazy for buying another bike. The tires looked real good I thought. But when I finally got her home, they only had 9 PSI in each! No wonder! Now it drives like a dream.

If I am ever gonna go out brotha, I'm going out riding on a pink Honda. Preferably wearing a Superman costume...

Lonnie Mac

Linkypoo to my photo stream...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

2006 Honda VT750CA

And the 96!

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 PM

I forgot to cancel the turn signal. I swear that mistake is going to be the one that kills me someday.

Edit: Dang Lonnie Mac, I never would have thought it, but that pink bike is just plain classy. I'd ride that one. Beautiful bike.

"The Edge...there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." ~ Hunter S. Thompson
Anger and worry are the two greatest wastes of time known to man. Aside from television, of course.

Last edited by PA Dave; 09-08-2014 at 09:35 PM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:11 AM

I accidently pulled a breather tube out of somewhere and now its is sputtering down the highway! this is what prompted the OH WELL tear the thing apart thing im on. I was going to do this over the winter but what the hell do it now!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noviastar View Post
I accidently pulled a breather tube out of somewhere and now its is sputtering down the highway! this is what prompted the OH WELL tear the thing apart thing im on. I was going to do this over the winter but what the hell do it now!
Ah, so that's what got ya goin'? The only thing I did wrong on the bike today was park it after 40 mi. If I hadn't had 5 ac of grass to cut, I'd have ridden all afternoon.

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilie View Post
Ah, so that's what got ya goin'? The only thing I did wrong on the bike today was park it after 40 mi. If I hadn't had 5 ac of grass to cut, I'd have ridden all afternoon.
Yha whats funny is if you pinch this tube the engine dies. Not sure where I pulled it out of. but the bike jerks and tries to die at just about any speed.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilie View Post
Ouch! Tough life there. That belongs in more of a tragedy thread!

Current Bike:

Previous Bikes:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page