How do you get off of your bike? - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 PM

Just snagged me a Triumph Tiger XCX, that puppy is a tall scoot.. So I mount that like I would a horse, left foot on left side peg, up and over.. On the dismount I go high-side, not sure why, the mechanics seem to match OP's.. Same with my Vic' .. Always high side, I kick the bags if I mount low side..

Family, Friends, Love and Life..
Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

C u r r e n t ... S c o o t s:
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - 2015 Triumph Tiger XCX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 07:20 PM

Model: Aero, VT750C
Year: 2008
Garage
Wow... I didn't really know that it was an issue! I've always mounted and dismounted on the right side (never was a conformist, but that's not the reason). The reason being that I always lock the fork lock when I leave the bike. I guess that just means I'm lazy since I don't want to walk around the bike to secure it. Oh and yeah... I know, I know... a fork lock can be easily broken but, anything that makes it harder for the thief is a bonus and maybe someone will notice his gyrations whilst breaking the lock.

-================================Sometimes life seems to be delivering punches,
When in all reality....
It's delivering wisdom...

'08 Shadow Aero

General Disclaimer: I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. There's a chance I'm wrong now!
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 10:14 PM

Hot pipes on the right ... I'm getting off on the left.

Searching for my missing piece of mind.

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 07:56 AM

I always get on/off from the left. The bike's leaning that way, and since I'm a short guy it's just easier.

2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
2000 Kawasaki Nomad 1500
1998 Honda Shadow ACE 750

post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:02 AM

On from the left. Mostly off on the left but sometimes off the right if I'm parked to close to the post in the garage. At 5' 9" on my "little" 600, simply standing up makes it equally easy off either side without contacting the hot exhaust.

Lucy - 2003 VT600C VLX
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:42 AM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
Me TOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dad View Post
being ambidextrous in most things, I mount and dismount from which ever side strikes my fancy at the time. Is there really a right or wrong way.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat01 View Post
I have seen many get burnt on pipes getting off on right side. I guess if you are aware either way is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
For me it depends on the situation.

Usually I get off the left side. But at work because I park in a tight spot and have a back pack on I get off on the right. But I get on 99% of the time from the left side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCochran;4053689[SIZE=5
][/SIZE]
^^++What he said!

Me too!
I reckon either is alright!
I`ve not been invaded or cursed from dismounting either side, NOR from wearing my helmet inside...

I believe as long as it ain`t ; I reckon I`ll keep on dismounting as I see fit for the situation...
Which way will I be headed once I dismount??

Now I got something else to think about as I ride and park my bike...
"I`ll get back with ya on this"...

Lets RIDE

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

Last edited by "Captain D"; 07-06-2015 at 08:46 AM. Reason: ridr
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amos View Post
I wait until I'm about 20 feet or so from where I want to stop, and turn off the key. Then put the kickstand down, lean back, throw my right leg up and over the tank, roll off, landing on my feet facing backwards action-hero style. Then walk in slow motion as the bike gently stops and settles on the kickstand. But that's just me.

I can do that....

I just don't wanna right now...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:06 AM

I recently completed the MSF BasicRider course and was instructed to always mount/dismount from the left sift while holding in the hand brake. After three days of someone yelling at you, it kind of sinks in.

I have a torn ACL in my right knee, much easier to get on from the right side for me.

1986 Honda Shadow VT700
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:28 AM

Garage
Left side. Reach over with right hand to hold brake. Then swing right leg over holding the breaker lever will keep bike from rolling once you get it off the side stand

The Problem is not the problem, The problem is your additude towards the problem.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 12:31 PM

Garage
I go left ever since I put the driver backrest on. Don't know why but if I'm on the right it feels like I have to get my foot higher to clear the backrest whereas from the left it feels more natural. I guess because the backrest is leaning away from me. seems to flow better.

2001 Honda Shadow ACE Deluxe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page