Well I did it, bought a pair of heated gloves. - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I did it, bought a pair of heated gloves.

In the past two years I've ridden in every month of the year. During the late fall/winter/early spring the only thing that reduces the amount of time spent riding was my finger tips would get painfully cold. Other than that problem, I''m fine down to the mid 30's.

So, I just bought a pair of Fly Racing Ignitor heated gloves. Like the fact they are battery powered (no cords) and they seem to have good reviews. Appears battery life is around 2-4 hours depending on heat setting. Hope this will allow me to get out more during the colder weather as I hate walking past the bike just sitting in the garage.

Next task will be to see if anyone makes a charger that will plug into the battery tender pigtail I have on the bike.

2017 Harley Davidson SuperLow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:17 PM

Garage
I'm guessing if you read the details of your charger, it's already charging @12VDC-15VDC, which is what your 'tender is putting out. A second charger is $17 from Revzilla and you could find a splitter for the 'tender. It wouldn't be that difficult to wire up. Or, you could just plug the gloves charger into the same outlet as the tender.

There's no such thing as "Spare Time" or "Free Time" or "Down Time."
Time is time. All you have is "Life Time." GO.
-- Henry Rollins
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:20 PM

Garage
I like the looks of those gloves, I might have to ask for a pair for my birthday.
I should have asked this of you before I ordered one a little while ago, but are you
still happy with your ph customs tank bib?

2005 Shadow Sabre 1100
2005 GL1800 Trike

Ride Bell Provided by Gnarly

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinker View Post
I'm guessing if you read the details of your charger, it's already charging @12VDC-15VDC, which is what your 'tender is putting out. A second charger is $17 from Revzilla and you could find a splitter for the 'tender. It wouldn't be that difficult to wire up. Or, you could just plug the gloves charger into the same outlet as the tender.
I'll have to do some studying on this. I was wanting to be able to charge the batteries when out on the road. The charger that comes with the gloves is for 110 volts. Seems like Fly Racing should have thought of this and offered a 12 volt rated charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCochran View Post
I like the looks of those gloves, I might have to ask for a pair for my birthday.
I should have asked this of you before I ordered one a little while ago, but are you
still happy with your ph customs tank bib?
Yes, still happy with the tank bib. Fit is great, no flapping around. So far it has held up well, no sun fading or drying out. Would buy one again if I ever needed to.

post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
I'll have to do some studying on this. I was wanting to be able to charge the batteries when out on the road. The charger that comes with the gloves is for 110 volts. Seems like Fly Racing should have thought of this and offered a 12 volt rated charger.
Yeah, 110V-AC INPUT...the side that plugs into the wall! You're concerned about the OUTPUT of that charger. Chances are, these are the same glove-batteries they use for snowmobiles, which also run 12V charging systems.

I'm not familiar with your particular device, but chances are it's 12VDC-15VDC, like your battery tender. I would think they would use ~14.4V batteries rather than 18V or 24V batteries (think cordless drills). You might not find a direct plug-in adapter to accomplish this, but it shouldn't be difficult.

I hope I'm making sense here?

-- Henry Rollins
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:59 PM

Garage
Thanks! Now the problem will be when the new bib shows up and the wife asks "What have you bought now?"

2005 Shadow Sabre 1100
2005 GL1800 Trike

Ride Bell Provided by Gnarly

post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinker View Post
Yeah, 110V-AC INPUT...the side that plugs into the wall! You're concerned about the OUTPUT of that charger. Chances are, these are the same glove-batteries they use for snowmobiles, which also run 12V charging systems.

I'm not familiar with your particular device, but chances are it's 12VDC-15VDC, like your battery tender. I would think they would use ~14.4V batteries rather than 18V or 24V batteries (think cordless drills). You might not find a direct plug-in adapter to accomplish this, but it shouldn't be difficult.

I hope I'm making sense here?
Oh yeah, I understand. I just ordered them so when they get here I'll have a better idea what is needed. They appear to use a 'standard' lithium battery. The name starts with a G, Gerbing or something like that. Snowmobile sites might be a place to start looking. Don't know what they call the plug that is on a tender but it would be nice to find something that would just plug into that type of connector.

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:12 PM

Garage
Not sure if this is the correct polarity, but ...

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47965-.../dp/B0002Q80RW

"2-pole flat bullet connector" seems to give good results.

-- Henry Rollins
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:19 PM

Says here the battery is 7.4-volt lithium-ion. I don't think you can charge that from a 12v system. Fly Racing Ignitor Gloves Review | Rider Magazine

"Stormy" 1997 Valkyrie Tourer - http://s724.photobucket.com/user/Har...eshow/Valkyrie

Ride Bell By OldDad
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryc View Post
Says here the battery is 7.4-volt lithium-ion. I don't think you can charge that from a 12v system. Fly Racing Ignitor Gloves Review | Rider Magazine
Yeah it would have to be some kind of a 'step down' charger. Seems if Fly Racing provides a 110 volt charger something could be found to charge a 7.4 volt battery with 12 volts. Maybe the best way to start my search is to contact Fly Racing and see what they have to say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page