Why I hate my new Honda Shadow - Page 5 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 12:29 AM

Wait how about a idiot light for the gas now that's a good idea. Then use one for the temp so the handle bars or tank is free of wires and bulkyness. Then listen to the motor and let the motorcycle tell you how fast your going and when to shift.

Yep it took me 20 hours to figure out why they did not do everything. I fellow this post from ground blank thinking about why they stopped.

It's easy now money weight looks yep.

1997 honda shadow ace 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 12:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
Cooler... I'm only 50.
49 here ... i'll take it! .... but wait... i wont get my bike for a little over 4 years : (
post #43 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:20 AM

Garage
You young-ins are funny. Thanks for the laugh. Time to go to the barn for the night.

2006 VLX Named Ida.

post #44 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Wow!!!! ROTFLMAO... One poster said it right, "Only a dozen posts and you have everyone's panties in a wad". LOL Couple good posts, though.

One said there were 4 models of Shadow that year. Mine is a VLX Deluxe. What were the other models?

Another said there is a tach designed for it. I was going to use an older Honda tach but, wouldn't any good quality tach work. Didn't know I would have to change the sender for the temp gauge. That might be outside my scope.

One other post that was pretty funny and, oh so true, was the one who said it was a good thing I didn't buy a Harley or I would really be whining. LOL However, I have spent a lot of time talking to Harley owners about that. From what I am told, the newer Harleys (after the Evolution engine) are very dependable and are not the Harley of yesteryear. None have gone so far as to say that they are as dependable as the "metrics" but most say the just change oil and general maintenance. Not sure how true that is.

Regarding all the other posts..... LMAO Sorry guys. Didn't mean to get your panties tight. I was really just joking anyway. I totally love the bike. Actually, love both of them but the '86 is very uncomfortable to ride compared to the '07. Those few things I mentioned were just the few things I would change to make it "perfect". What's with bikers not having a sense of humor. I walked out of a bar yesterday and it had rained and all the bikes were wet. I looked over at a group of guys standing by their Harleys and said, "Hey, do you ride a Harley". A couple of them replied "Yes". And, I said, "OK, good. Then take your shirts off and go dry off my Honda". LMAO One guy started laughing his ass off. The others got a little pissed. LOL Found out later that the guy laughing had his 750 Shadow parked right next to mine. LOL I sure know how to make friends in a crowd. LOL

As far as the posts about me not knowing what I was buying... duh, you think? LMAO However, that's how I learn. I would have never in a million years gone out to look for a bike with shaft drive. Or, water cooled, for that matter. Do you know why? Because I didn't know they were better. Now that I have owned them, I know. I'll bet I will own over a dozen bikes in the next year or 2. Probably just end up with one or 2 but, I'll go through a dozen before I find what I want.

OK, sun is out. I am on the road. Sorry if I got the gander up on a few members. LOL Great forum. It has been a major help to me already.

Ride fun. Ride safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hondashadow2007-1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	134297   Click image for larger version

Name:	hondashadow2007-2.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	134305   Click image for larger version

Name:	hondashadow2007-3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	134313   Click image for larger version

Name:	hondashadow2007-4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	134321   Click image for larger version

Name:	hondashadow2007and1986-1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	134329  

Last edited by Ringo; 08-31-2015 at 08:55 AM.
post #45 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:26 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to FrankieACE
4speed? WTF are you riding? it's not a 2007 Shadow. It has to be a VLX. All the Shadows have 5 speeds and with a simple gear ratio change you can get a real cruiser out of it. I put a new chain on my bike about every other year and I ride the snot out of my bike. I've got over 60,000 miles on my 2001 ACE and not once has it over heated and rarely does my electric fan even come on. My only complaint about these water cooled motors is the crossover tube design. As far as the lack of a Tachometer goes I can easily tell by the sound and feel when it's time to shift but I do find myself checking that I'm in 5th gear all the time. I'll give you that one. I'm not a big fan of shaft drive but would prefer a belt drive given the choice. I'm ok with the chain though. Todays Shadows are by far a better looking bike and better riding bike smoother more comfortable and much sleeker in design. I put a Mustang seat on my bike and I can ride all day long and have done so on many occasions. Yeah for the most part Honda got it right.

We are the people our parents warned us about. Jimmy Buffett
post #46 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:32 AM

Garage
Why I hate my new Honda Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieACE View Post
4speed? WTF are you riding? it's not a 2007 Shadow. It has to be a VLX. All the Shadows have 5 speeds and with a simple gear ratio change you can get a real cruiser out of it. I put a new chain on my bike about every other year and I ride the snot out of my bike. I've got over 60,000 miles on my 2001 ACE and not once has it over heated and rarely does my electric fan even come on. My only complaint about these water cooled motors is the crossover tube design. As far as the lack of a Tachometer goes I can easily tell by the sound and feel when it's time to shift but I do find myself checking that I'm in 5th gear all the time. I'll give you that one. I'm not a big fan of shaft drive but would prefer a belt drive given the choice. I'm ok with the chain though. Todays Shadows are by far a better looking bike and better riding bike smoother more comfortable and much sleeker in design. I put a Mustang seat on my bike and I can ride all day long and have done so on many occasions. Yeah for the most part Honda got it right.

Not sure what your talking about but the VLX IS A SHADOW series bike. It has a 4 speed transmission and is a very good cruiser style bike. So not ALL shadows are 5 speed bikes. Many of us have them and also ride the snot out of them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2002 Honda Shadow VLX 600 Deluxe - Lost but not forgotten.
post #47 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
MA Honda... I'd bet MR. Soichiro Honda would take exception to that.
Only if he's watching from that great garage in the sky.

"I hate social media. That's where losers go to feel important." -- Charles Barkley
2008 Suzuki DL650A (the "Wee"-Strom)

post #48 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
Wow!!!! ROTFLMAO... One poster said it right, "Only a dozen posts and you have everyone's panties in a wad". LOL Couple good posts, though.

....OK, sun is out. I am on the road. Sorry if I got the gander up on a few members. LOL Great forum. It has been a major help to me already.

Ride fun. Ride safe.
Yeah, I didn't see much in the way of general attack to your original post, more a witty, general, "wish this bike was slightly better" whinge.. It's all good.. Great posts, you're gonna fit in real well around here.. ..

Family, Friends, Love and Life..
Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

C u r r e n t ... S c o o t s:
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - 2015 Triumph Tiger XCX
post #49 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe-eet ace View Post
....Yep it took me 20 hours to figure out why they did not do everything. I fellow this post from ground blank thinking about why they stopped.

It's easy now money weight looks yep.
Do we have a translator for this post??

2007 VStar 1300
post #50 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 11:21 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to FrankieACE
Yup your right the VLX is a Shadow MY BAD and in all actuality I think the VLX is the best looking of all the Shadow series bikes. Again not meaning to disrespect the VLX or it owners. It didn't occur to me my mistake until after my rant and I hadn't a chance to correct my statements.

We are the people our parents warned us about. Jimmy Buffett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page