750cc's - Page 4 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 07:02 AM

Opinions on 750 seem to be divided quite a bit here. For daily city driving, the 750 is a great choice. My advice, go for a 900 or 1100 or even a 1300. By doing this, you completely eliminate running the risk of not liking the 750. My phantom does well up to 70 but I DO think it's quite a bit buzzy after that. The biggest problem the phantom has in my opinion is the suspension rebound. Even at the softest setting, I get thrown off on small potholes and speed bumps unless I ride really really slow. You will have to change the stock seat as well. Then add forward controls may be. All this will cost you quite a bit in the long run so why not get something bigger, slightly older and has all the bells and whistles put on by a guy whose wife is making him sell it?

Vicariously I....live while the whole world dies...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 07:20 AM

Model: Phantom
Year: 2014
The type of riding you do is simular to what I do and the Phantom without mods is great with the mods you mention (the exact same ones I have on mine) you will absolutely love it. I only weigh about 150 lbs but with the stuff I usually take with me it's close to 200 lbs and it has way more than enough power. I also added risers and forward controls and a mustang seat. I have a bad back and can ride my phantom longer without any pain than any car I've driven. You get a whole lot for the money and a great looking bike too!
Forgot to add, with the mods it is not buzzy and I ride at 80 mph on the freeway when I have to without a problem.
The fuel controller really smooths it out and it feels like a much bigger engine.
I think for me at least, anything bigger is just too big for what I do most of the time which is the same type of ridding you mention.
If you were to do a lot of very long trips bigger would be better but I've done 100 miles regularly and a couple over 200 miles and had no problem with it and from watching the guys on the bigger bikes on those longer trips on twisty roads I think I had more fun.

In new home!
14' Pantom
God Bless

Last edited by pastordave1; 09-28-2015 at 07:29 AM.
post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 07:37 AM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
I didn`t look at cc`s when I bought my 750, I went for fit...
This Bike Fits!

It sounds like you`re my size and weight...
My 750 carries me wherever I wish to go, as far as I want...
Fit is what I look for when I purchase...
Chickenman gave me the 750 MAGNA V4, and, dion`tchyaknow, it Fits me too

2003 I had a wreck which busted up both legs and the weight and balance of the 750 is OK with my mended bones, so far...
That PLUS, them heavier Bikes are just a bit much for this old man,
D

I wanna sit on a Phantom just to feel it...

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #34 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 04:15 PM

Personally, I love my 750 Aero (aesthetics, handling, plenty of power). I've owned many different brands (Kawasaki, Harley's and Honda). To me, you can't beat a Honda for dependability. I regularly on the interstate (at speeds of 85 - 90) and I've found no lack of power - but again, I believe that bikes are an individual choice (in size, style, etc.). - so ride what you like and enjoy the trip.
post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 07:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-B View Post
Depends how you plan to ride the thing.. I ride mostly highways and interstates and a 750 will do it, but, a bigger bike does it so much better.. Leasurely riding? ..I don't think you can go wrong..

Same here! For around town, my 750 Shadow was wonderful. Out on the highway, it was painful. Around town, the Valkyrie is a chore, but on the highway, it's a velvet magic carpet covered in kittens compared to the Shadow.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

There's no such thing as "Spare Time" or "Free Time" or "Down Time."
Time is time. All you have is "Life Time." GO.
-- Henry Rollins
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Banned

Yeah, like has been said, it depends on what kind of riding you truly plan to do.
If you plan on going on a fair amount of freeway rides then i would say get a 1300.
If you are not going to be taking many freeways rides then i would say a 750 should be fine for you.
If you are going to ride 2-up a lot is another factor.

If you get a 1300 and don't ride on the freeways then you are carrying around an extra 200+ lbs when you don't really need to.
Its almost like riding a 750 with a grown passenger ALL the time
in terms of handling the Bike.

If you want a bike to commute to work (non-freeway) and mostly ride within a 100 mile radius then a 750 will serve you well and be a easy ride that is easy to maneuver/handle.

If you envision yourself taking a lot of road trips of 300+ miles while using the freeways often, plan on going to Sturgis etc, then a 750 won't cut it, imo.

I would not want to be in the position of having to do 70+ for hours on end on a 750, but that's me, i dont need the bragging rights or
the pain, i have far enough to brag about already

my .02

Last edited by Bobolto; 10-01-2015 at 11:06 PM.
post #37 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 09:52 PM

750cc's

The Phantom is a good bike. Did several trips on mine. Gets buzzy above 75 mph, and two up would struggle to get us up a steep hill without losing or barely maintaining speed.

Now, my current bike....it will just about throw you off of it, it has so much power. Two up, towing a trailer, it will still haul butt up in the mountains. And it actually feels lighter (it's 200 lbs heavier) than my Phantom did. My Victory is Easier to get off the side stand and more maneuverable. Not all heavier bikes are like this but some are, so don't be discouraged by people who haven't ridden a heavier bike and think they are a pain to ride. It's great around town.

Not knocking the 750's at all...but once you go bigger, you can't imagine going back to the small engine. Power is addictive. And makes it VERY easy to get away from traffic.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Just Ride...

2003 Harley Davidson Sportster (RIP)
2006 Suzuki GZ250 (traded)
2012 Honda Shadow Phantom (traded)
2014 Victory Cross Country (current)

Last edited by Theja1; 10-01-2015 at 09:57 PM.
post #38 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 09:25 PM

I just rode from North Port, Florida to Eglin AFB and covered 450 miles in a long day. 2009 Shadow Aero VT750. Speed ranged from 75-80 on I-75 and around 80 mph on I-10 west ... learning points? Get the 'Waze' app for your smartphone (seriously). I'm also getting a cruise control, upgraded seat, and wind screen! My throttle hand is trashed! I wound up stopping at every road side rest (every 30-60 miles) just to relax my hand and butt. Wow ... torture. Just not used to that distance. Other than that the ride was nice ... 150 miles from home i took a fist sized chunk of tire rubber to the right mirror (lucky it didn't hit my helmet) - no damage thankfully. Got to break in the new riding jacket and over pants - great investment @ 150.00 each because if you go down doing 80 (or any speed) on the interstate - you'll wish you had them. At some point during the ride my bike seemed to stall for about 6 seconds ... just like it was out of gas, then out of nowhere it picked right back up again and ran fine the entire trip. Freak out ... was glad to have the AAA motorcycle option but glad I didn't need to use it. Bike only has 3500 miles on it ... just filled up at a BP so maybe some bum fuel. Who knows. I'm 180 and had my bike loaded with two saddle bags and a rear Mustang bag - guessing I was carrying 20 pounds of gear (laptop, clothes, water, snacks, and misc junk). I'd do it again! Love my Honda.
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 08:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to FrankieACE
I love my 750 ACE and for the most part it more then fits my needs but every now and then I would love a little more power. The size of the bike is great the weight and balance is perfect for me and the performance at my age (60) is satisfactory most of the time. I tried out a Triumph Thunderbird recently and loved the power but it felt very heavy and scary in the turns and low speed. The increase in power just didn't work out to be that important to me I guess. So I road away on my ACE with a smile on my face and my money in my pocket.

We are the people our parents warned us about. Jimmy Buffett
post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieACE View Post
I love my 750 ACE and for the most part it more then fits my needs but every now and then I would love a little more power. The size of the bike is great the weight and balance is perfect for me and the performance at my age (60) is satisfactory most of the time. I tried out a Triumph Thunderbird recently and loved the power but it felt very heavy and scary in the turns and low speed. The increase in power just didn't work out to be that important to me I guess. So I road away on my ACE with a smile on my face and my money in my pocket.
being a 750 owner, i would agree with your statement above. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread something about "Power of a larger Bike helps me get away from Traffic easy", while i understand what he meant, it doesn't really apply to me because i don't ride
in any heavy Highway Traffic generally, its not crowded like that where i would want to go.

Last edited by Bobolto; 10-23-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page