750cc's - Page 6 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
 
7xclm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 8,072
Garage
I think perception is the most telling factor in choosing a bike. Ida is only a 600 cc bike as most of you know. The only aftermarket addition was a windshield when I purchased her 3 seasons ago and I have racked up 22,000 miles. Since then I have added mini boards that tilt up so my ankles are in a natural position. Cobra drag pipes with a stage 1 kit that made her more peppy on the throttle. 99customvlx installed a gel insert in the seat so she is very comfortable to ride. Finally I swapped out the standard 44 tooth rear sprocket for a 38 tooth sprocket. Dyna-beads were also used to balance both tires for a extremely smooth ride. Those changes allowed me to maintain any speed up 85 mph with not problem. This past July I rode from Sacramento, KY too Acworth, GA witch is just north of Atlanta for a distance of about 350 miles stopping only for fuel. I felt fine after the ride no soreness or fatigue. I continued another 1650 miles and 10 more days on that trip. So my perception is Ida is a perfect bike for me to take on long trips. Just my 2 cents.

2006 VLX Named Ida.


Last edited by 7xclm; 10-23-2015 at 09:51 PM.
7xclm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 10:58 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxxxxclm1954 View Post
I think perception is the most telling factor in choosing a bike. Ida is only a 600 cc bike as most of you know. The only aftermarket addition was a windshield when I purchased her 3 seasons ago and I have racked up 22,000 miles. Since then I have added mini boards that tilt up so my ankles are in a natural position. Cobra drag pipes with a stage 1 kit that made her more peppy on the throttle. 99customvlx installed a gel insert in the seat so she is very comfortable to ride. Finally I swapped out the standard 44 tooth rear sprocket for a 38 tooth sprocket. Dyna-beads were also used to balance both tires for a extremely smooth ride. Those changes allowed me to maintain any speed up 85 mph with not problem. This past July I rode from Sacramento, KY too Acworth, GA witch is just north of Atlanta for a distance of about 350 miles stopping only for fuel. I felt fine after the ride no soreness or fatigue. I continued another 1650 miles and 10 more days on that trip. So my perception is Ida is a perfect bike for me to take on long trips. Just my 2 cents.
sounds like i should try dyna beads at some point. They don't wear away at the inner-tube after a while????
Bobolto is offline  
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:16 PM
Senior Member
 
7xclm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 8,072
Garage
NO !!!!!! Once you start moving the beads go to a spot inside the tire that balances the wheel and the beads stay there. When you stop the beads fall to the bottom of the tire and start all over again as soon as you start moving. If the beads moved around the tire would not balance.

2006 VLX Named Ida.


Last edited by 7xclm; 10-23-2015 at 11:18 PM.
7xclm is offline  
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 02:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Sundown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Hanalei Bay, Kauai, Hawaii. God's Country.
Posts: 1,141
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobolto View Post
Wow, just 104 miles.....

Asked about the Windshield because i have a large one and i still havent changed the angle of it to favor the aerodynamics a bit better, its a bit too "Straight up" i think. Its going to be a pain to correct that and not lose too much height out of shield, I will have to modify the mount somewhat. Don't feel the effects with the riding i mostly do now, but i am pretty sure the mod will help at the 70+mph range.

Yeah, two Bikes is definitely a solution if someone can swing doing that.
Evidently the seller's great bike adventure was fine until he did a couple of short rides and scared himself. Surprising how many good deals come up that way, but this was pretty extreme. New bike 1/3d new cost. Makes it worth shipping to Hawaii.

Adjusting a windshield is kinda trial and error for me. Last one took a couple of weeks to get it where I like it. Ideally it only shoots the wind to just above your head with as much slant as can get away with so the push against the wind is minimized. Give the wind as much "out" as possible. I ride mostly in warm territory, so don't need too big a shield.

The one I chose for the 750 Spirit works well, it is a "Slipstreamer S-06 Spitfire". Started with it sitting right on the head-light and slowly raised it and tilted it till I could feel the wind going a couple inches over my head. Interestingly enough, it put the top of the shield right at about lips or nose height and the slant lined up with the angle of the front forks nicely. Couldn't ask for better. I don't think it catches more air than my body did and is way more aerodynamic; sending the water, bugs, etc. over my head.

With any luck the same one should fit the Phantom pretty well, the bars are a little different, but the shield mounts are adjustable. The question I need to answer first is if I want to put the risers on the Phantom bars or not. It is more comfortable than I expected stock, but I do kinda like the laid-back riding position as much as can so that extra couple inches might be nice.

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.
Sundown is offline  
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 03:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Sundown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Hanalei Bay, Kauai, Hawaii. God's Country.
Posts: 1,141
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxxxxclm1954 View Post
I think perception is the most telling factor in choosing a bike. Ida is only a 600 cc bike as most of you know. The only aftermarket addition was a windshield when I purchased her 3 seasons ago and I have racked up 22,000 miles. Since then I have added mini boards that tilt up so my ankles are in a natural position. Cobra drag pipes with a stage 1 kit that made her more peppy on the throttle. 99customvlx installed a gel insert in the seat so she is very comfortable to ride. Finally I swapped out the standard 44 tooth rear sprocket for a 38 tooth sprocket. Dyna-beads were also used to balance both tires for a extremely smooth ride. Those changes allowed me to maintain any speed up 85 mph with not problem. This past July I rode from Sacramento, KY too Acworth, GA witch is just north of Atlanta for a distance of about 350 miles stopping only for fuel. I felt fine after the ride no soreness or fatigue. I continued another 1650 miles and 10 more days on that trip. So my perception is Ida is a perfect bike for me to take on long trips. Just my 2 cents.
Lot to be said for the flexibility of chain drive. Shaft is good, but modern chains are way better than they used to be.

How did you accomplish the dynabeads on spoked tube tires ?

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.
Sundown is offline  
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 07:24 AM
Senior Member
 
h13man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Central Indiana
Posts: 7,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
Lot to be said for the flexibility of chain drive. Shaft is good, but modern chains are way better than they used to be.

How did you accomplish the dynabeads on spoked tube tires ?
^^^^^
I believe the valve core is the same size on a tube as it is on a tubeless version. They go in the tire after the bead is set.




06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
h13man is offline  
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Member
 
Doctor Dolittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Model: VT750dc (chain drive)
Year: 2007
Location: Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin (a Milwaukee Suburb)
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinker View Post
Same here! For around town, my 750 Shadow was wonderful. Out on the highway, it was painful. Around town, the Valkyrie is a chore, but on the highway, it's a velvet magic carpet covered in kittens compared to the Shadow.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
"...It's a velvet magic carpet covered in kittens." I didn't know any bikers had a poetic side with a flare for metaphors.
My 750 fits me like a glove. With the Mustang seat and backrest, shield and floor boards, I could drive coast to coast in comfort if I didn't work 50 hours a week.



2007 Shadow Spirit VT750dc (This is my current bike purchased Sept 2014)
1973 CB750 (owned 1985-1986 while in high school)
1976 AMF/Harley 175 (owned for a few months in 1985 till the piece of junk died)

Last edited by Doctor Dolittle; 10-24-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Doctor Dolittle is offline  
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
pastordave1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Model: Phantom
Year: 2014
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
Evidently the seller's great bike adventure was fine until he did a couple of short rides and scared himself. Surprising how many good deals come up that way, but this was pretty extreme. New bike 1/3d new cost. Makes it worth shipping to Hawaii.

Adjusting a windshield is kinda trial and error for me. Last one took a couple of weeks to get it where I like it. Ideally it only shoots the wind to just above your head with as much slant as can get away with so the push against the wind is minimized. Give the wind as much "out" as possible. I ride mostly in warm territory, so don't need too big a shield.

The one I chose for the 750 Spirit works well, it is a "Slipstreamer S-06 Spitfire". Started with it sitting right on the head-light and slowly raised it and tilted it till I could feel the wind going a couple inches over my head. Interestingly enough, it put the top of the shield right at about lips or nose height and the slant lined up with the angle of the front forks nicely. Couldn't ask for better. I don't think it catches more air than my body did and is way more aerodynamic; sending the water, bugs, etc. over my head.

With any luck the same one should fit the Phantom pretty well, the bars are a little different, but the shield mounts are adjustable. The question I need to answer first is if I want to put the risers on the Phantom bars or not. It is more comfortable than I expected stock, but I do kinda like the laid-back riding position as much as can so that extra couple inches might be nice.
You can't go wrong with the risers. I thought mine was a pretty good position before but after is sooooo much more comfortable and when I first put them on without a windshield they didn't take away from the intended look imho, I think they look just as good and feel much better. They will change how you mount a full shield but if you're going with the smaller shield like you say it will work out great.

In new home!
14' Pantom
God Bless

pastordave1 is offline  
post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,100
yeah that, "...It's a velvet magic carpet covered in kittens." comment Winker made was excellent, been meaning to say that.

Nice use of Simile.
Bobolto is offline  
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 06:53 AM
Member
 
FrankieACE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ma.
Posts: 67
Send a message via Skype™ to FrankieACE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobolto View Post
being a 750 owner, i would agree with your statement above. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread something about "Power of a larger Bike helps me get away from Traffic easy", while i understand what he meant, it doesn't really apply to me because i don't ride
in any heavy Highway Traffic generally, its not crowded like that where i would want to go.
Beside that's one fine looking bike. It would be hard to find another that looks more handsome. Oh where did you find those hard bags? They are perfect on a Shadow 750, I've looked at many and some seem too big or the style looks wrong or they are too small, too skinny too fat, But yours look just right.

We are the people our parents warned us about. Jimmy Buffett
FrankieACE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 750cc Rear Left Turn Signal issue zantezante Technical Discussion 2 10-31-2007 07:08 PM
600cc vs. 750cc SanNYC General Bike Discussion 8 07-19-2007 12:37 PM
What's a fair price for a 2005 Shadow Spirit 750cc? squale General Bike Discussion 1 05-24-2007 11:41 AM
1983 Honda Shadow 750cc evaudio General Bike Discussion 19 04-24-2007 05:43 PM
? On 2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750cc Re:Memphis Windshield blueeyes2114 General Bike Discussion 5 03-12-2007 08:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome