Anyone Else with a VLX dragging your footpegs on turns? - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 PM

I seem to scrape them at the exact same intersection turning the same way. It is a tight left turn that goes uphill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 10:52 PM

Stop pushing the bike down in the corners, push the bike out and lean your body to the inside. You'll be surprised how little you scrape if at all after you master this.

'14 HD street bob, 103ci/ 6spd, DK custom intake, Power vision2 tuner, Bassani 2-1 road rage, steering damper, Daymaker LED headlight, cafe fairing, + more!

'08 aero 750, jetted, Uni air filter, holesaw mod, 170 rear, still in the family.

'00 Silverado 2500, supercharged 6.0L, 10in of lift, Cognito UCA's, 35in mickey thompson's, 2012in wheels, 4.88 gears, MSD iginton, K&N filter, headers, true duals, 6000K HID's.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:47 PM

Model: VT750C2-EFI
Year: 2010
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
Stop pushing the bike down in the corners, push the bike out and lean your body to the inside. You'll be surprised how little you scrape if at all after you master this.
What he said... Good advice, even went you ride sports bikes, your body leans more than the bike...

Vlad...
2010 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2 EFI...

~=IF DOGS DONT GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO=~
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Not quite sure what you guys mean but I'll try it on today's ride.

Sounds like you mean (what I call) butt steering. That's mostly leaning WITH the bike and not counter steering through curves and turns, but rather "leaning" through them.

Is that what you mean?
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
I really like the laid back feel of my VLX. And, at a scant 5'-8" and 150 pounds, this bike fits me just perfectly.

However, even from the first few weeks I had it, I find myself dragging either the crash bars or the foot pegs.

I'm no joe sport rider and I don't go real fast. I'm 60+ years old and I ride pretty mellow (I think).

I did ride dirt all my early years and just started riding again but, I'm pretty sure that I know what's safe riding and what's not. I really don't understand it. But, it's is happening more and more often. I am to the point where, every time I take a corner, I am looking at my crash bars instead of the road in front of me.

It's not happening at high speeds. It's more often around a corner or out of a tight spot. Always less than 20 mph or so. Maybe 25 at most.

Like I said, I really love the low ride feel of this VLX but it's just not for me and my style of riding. If I am going to stay upright, I need to find a new bike. I am thinking of the Shadow Spirit. It looks pretty similar to the VLX but it looks a little higher off the ground. I'm not sure if that means the bottom clearance is more. Or, if the seat height is just higher.

Just wondering..... has anyone else has this problem with their VLX. Or, if anyone knows how the Spirit compares with the VLX in ride.

Thanks

EDIT: I am looking at some late model (2005 and newer) Spirits and I can't tell from looking. Do they have a 2 piece seat or a 1 piece? I absolutely need a driver backrest and that doesn't usually work with a 1 piece seat. TIA

Read Lee Parks' Total Control; excellent chapter about using body position to lessen the lean angle in a turn.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHornberger View Post
Read Lee Parks' Total Control; excellent chapter about using body position to lessen the lean angle in a turn.
I will check it out. Thanks
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dad View Post
Pics or it didn't happen is what we say here.

Ask and ye shall receive. LOL

Those crash bars sure look huge in this picture. I can't believe I am dragging the pegs with those giant crash bars. Glad to know those are coming off real soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pegs-1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	138329   Click image for larger version

Name:	pegs-2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	138337   Click image for larger version

Name:	pegs-3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	138345   Click image for larger version

Name:	pegs-4.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	138353   Click image for larger version

Name:	pegs-5.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	138361  

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 02:04 PM

I occasionally will drag a heel but have not dragged a footpeg yet, ever, on any of the bikes I've ridden over these last forty five years. But I am afraid of sliding out, always have been, always will, even though I know I could lean more. If I drag a foot peg I will consider it an unnecessary risk/error on my part.

This could be why I am still riding after 45 years of doing it.

92 VLX,
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabngo View Post
I occasionally will drag a heel but have not dragged a footpeg yet, ever, on any of the bikes I've ridden over these last forty five years. But I am afraid of sliding out, always have been, always will, even though I know I could lean more. If I drag a foot peg I will consider it an unnecessary risk/error on my part.

I was thinking I'm the only one who never dragged a peg on bike. I'm glad you posted this.

Ringo, simply put, it's got to be one of two things. Either you ride too aggressively for the bike, or you are leaning your body away from the turn instead of into it. If you lean your body away from the turn, you have to lean the bike harder into the turn. Read the Lee Parks piece for an explanation written my someone who knows best how to describe it.

"The Edge...there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." ~ Hunter S. Thompson
Anger and worry are the two greatest wastes of time known to man. Aside from television, of course.

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabngo View Post

I agree, but this one turn into my street will get me, and a few others, like I said, all my peg scraping has been at slow speed, and I am in error. Hasn't gotten me though, and at this stage of life I really don't push it.

It's really not that big of a deal to me.

we've both been riding for about the same # of years, the last ten on my vlx.

As soon as you become accustom to anything, some moron has to change it.

Last edited by old dad; 09-24-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page