NZ Ride reports - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
NZ Ride reports

I thought I might start a thread and keep adding to it of rides I get pics on

A few pics and a bit of dribble from the last couple of weeks

Spring is here over in NZ and the weather has almost been playing ball, We have had wet starts to rides but also some cracker weather, still not to hot

Last weekend was a Club ride the “Pie and Pint” to our favorite Pie shop then a stop at a Tavern, different Tavern every year, this year it clashed with the Rugby World cup Quarter final so not quite the numbers but still a great ride, A first “Fat Bikers” ride for my Daughter and she went very very well

A few pics from the day

Then this weekend it was a friends 50th 350 K’s away…. So rude not to take the bike
But that was too far for the wife to be pillion so she took the car, That also gave her the opportunity to visit cousins on the way home and stay the night with them and it was handy to take more gear as we were tenting the night…. There was a down side to not taking saddle bags! On the way home we went the long way…visited a few friends on the way and it got pretty cold as the sun dropped…… damn shame all my warm gear was with the wife who was heading the other way
It rained for about 80Km of the ride down….and the cell stayed in the dry pocket so no pic’s from My cell but Munster took this pic at our lunch stop

The mountain behind his place was in cloud but at least the rain had gone through earlier than forecast

The Party rocked on and I suppose I crashed in the tent about 3am….. should have been earlier to fully enjoy the long way trip home

A snippet of the band playing, Dog may not have the best voice but he still rocks it… and the stand in drummer was brilliant, 4 hours of rocking tunes (video is not 4 hours )

The Morning was looking like it was going to be a sharp day, I wasn’t feeling that sharp so a slow start, pack up the tent

Get the bike out of its temporary home in the Honda shed (Munster’s Suzuki polluting the Honda vibes in there)

(Batch has a thing for old XR’s)

off we go to the nearest town for a big feed where we stumbled in to other mates touring the area

Gas up and hit the Forgotten Highway, Big sign saying “High Motorcycle crash area” was a sign it was going to be a great ride, I love tight twisting road

Some of the best views in NZ and I could have stopped many many times to take pics but with 600Km to go and stops to visit others time was going to be tight…. So just had to soak up the views and leave the pics for another day!
I did take a couple but not the best views but still good, you can’t go past the old Tavern without a pic, then stopped to take one went waiting for Munster to catch up near the end of the gravel stint (only the second ride for his new to him bike……he’s much slower on it in the corners ATM)

The Gravel stopped just around the corner

Gas up again and of the visit another friend’s farm and my Sisters new house…… the long way home
A few more pics

I am going to have to get a good bike/helmet camera that has replaceable batteries to record some of these roads, especially the forgotten highway and sections have breath taking views with tight to weaving roads J

Hope you enjoyed a snippet of NZ riding J

My Bike before and after , Any day spent on the bike is a good day
VT1100C Shadow (1993)
VT750 Aero
TRX300 (Hunting Quad)
DRZ400E (my dirt bike)

For the kids to use
XR250
Rm80/Honda125 (1972 TL engine )
GN250

Last edited by Leathel; 10-25-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
mmm now to fix the picture links

Done

VT1100C Shadow (1993)
VT750 Aero
TRX300 (Hunting Quad)
DRZ400E (my dirt bike)

For the kids to use
XR250
GN250

Last edited by Leathel; 10-25-2015 at 10:56 PM.
post #3 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:01 PM

Garage
You are lucky to have such a beautiful country. I hope to see more photos during your summer. It might take the edge off it being winter here.

2006 VLX Named Ida.

post #4 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:19 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Thanks for the great ride down under. It would be fun to visit some of these places.
One question= On the first photo it shows 2 bikes and they have a large yellow plate next to the license with an L on it. What is that???
Just curious.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #5 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
On the first photo it shows 2 bikes and they have a large yellow plate next to the license with an L on it. What is that???
Just curious.

We have a graduated license here, first stage is a practical and theory test, then you have to show the L plate and use a LAMS approved bike (lower power to weight....but many still plenty quick enough like the VLX) If you have the skills and $$ you can now sit the second stage that day after (used to be six months) and you can loose the L plate but still use a LAMS bike.... then final test.

Some never get past stage one and just risk riding without the L plate (instant fine) but recently they have put a limit on how long you ca run on a L plate license....my worker has been riding 15 years on a learner license and non LAMS bike.... could cost him one day if caught

VT1100C Shadow (1993)
VT750 Aero
TRX300 (Hunting Quad)
DRZ400E (my dirt bike)

For the kids to use
XR250
GN250
post #6 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:58 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Thanks for the info. It is interesting hearing about different countries and their laws. Such as one fellow on here now in China is not even allowed to ride a Gas engine bike. And other places the size of the engine costs more in insurance, etc. So I will never complain about the laws here in the USA because they seem pretty easy to live with.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #7 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If it works this is the link to the last Sat/Sunday ride map

https://goo.gl/maps/94Zx9ETavG32

VT1100C Shadow (1993)
VT750 Aero
TRX300 (Hunting Quad)
DRZ400E (my dirt bike)

For the kids to use
XR250
GN250
post #8 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:21 PM

Garage
Thanks for the pics and vid, Leathel. I always enjoys your posts. Have a safe riding season! I'll be on two until the roads ice up and then wishing I was your neighbor!

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D
post #9 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilie View Post
Thanks for the pics and vid, Leathel. I always enjoys your posts. Have a safe riding season! I'll be on two until the roads ice up and then wishing I was your neighbor!
We are lucky to have year round riding..... I would need a winter fix if riding wasn't an option

Just Curious, did the google maps link to a path in NZ?

VT1100C Shadow (1993)
VT750 Aero
TRX300 (Hunting Quad)
DRZ400E (my dirt bike)

For the kids to use
XR250
GN250
post #10 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:03 PM

Garage
Link worked good for me. I always wondered which island you were on.

2006 VLX Named Ida.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page